Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 01:49 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

I said "snowbird" because these are regular retired folks who stay for the winter, so 3 to 6 months.

We are thinking of doing this because we were asked by a couple we know and respect. So, not just anybody. We will be gone ourselves for those months.

My question is: how much of your own stuff do you remove for this kind of stay? Totally empty closets and dressers and night-stands? My night-stand has desk stuff in it since I operate on my bed. It's my "desk".
And some other "general" stuff is in there.

I mean, people aren't bringing total wardrobes. I wonder about this with Air BnB or Home Exchange. The owner can't live in the space if it has to be cleared out all the time. We don't have much room to store stuff, and I hate to put it in the garage (mold, dust).

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 09-10-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 03:09 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Generally, all personal items are either just absent altogether or there is a dedicated closet that houses personal items. This closet will usually have a keyed lockset or a deadbolt on the door.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Isn't there a forum dedicated to rentals/landlords?

Old 09-10-2020, 04:55 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Yes, there is and they would tell him not to do it. Never rent to family or friends.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Generally, all personal items are either just absent altogether or there is a dedicated closet that houses personal items. This closet will usually have a keyed lockset or a deadbolt on the door.
Even in an Air BnB or home exchange? Those are what I was thinking of.

I have seen those closets in vacation rentals, but the owner does not live on the premises.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Apparently. I never noticed. Home exchanges are not exactly rentals, is why I asked in "House".

Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Apparently. I never noticed. Home exchanges are not exactly rentals, is why I asked in "House".
It would be considered a short term rental. Check the laws in your state regarding short term/vacation rentals.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 AM

828 posts, read 416,361 times
Yes, All of your personal stuff should be out of there. Just like a normal rental.
No one likes to live with other peoples junk. Of course not junk to you.

This is just another one of your expenses. Weather you move it or pay someone to do so.
You make sure the rent covers all the expenses and then some.

Then when they leave you pay someone to come in and do a good cleaning. Easier with stuff removed. Then you move your items back into a fresh place.

Only way to be professional about it and limit any problems.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Are these also snowbirds who would like to rent your warm-climate place for this winter, since you're not going to use it this winter? I think that this is less of a risk than what I had originally assumed, that it was people who wanted to rent your place for the off season - that could have been a disaster, because it would have likely been financially insecure people who might not agree to leave next winter.

If you decide to do it, you will need to go down there to put all your personal things away - ALL of it - so that they have the house as if it were a pro rental. Put your stuff in a closet and lock it. Find out what market rate would be for the unit, and charge them it. And get an enormous deposit from them. But I imagine that the winter rental rate probably covers your carrying costs for the year - it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting