Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Shes getting more sympathy from the rental forum.

Goes to show that there's a definite difference in mindset for those who rent and those who own. Renters want someone else to take care of every little thing. And understandably in most cases because they are only renting. They should not bear responsibility for a lot of things home owners deal with. Home owners? Its all yours! Op is in a condo so it's a good transition between renter and owner. But OP still seems to be struggling with the basics.
I think because in the renter forum these threads get heated, posts get removed and posters get sent to time-out. Yeah, I’m guilty. People in that forum have really thin skin.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 13,117 times
Quote:
OP has the same thread in the general real estate forum. The responses there are much less patient. She is looking for sympathy but is ridiculously entitled.
No I am not & yes I am kinda new to this site so spamming won’t happen again

Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
OP YOU came here for Help! But cussing us is Not helping you! I suggest you see a Tenant Lawyer. Even if there is one on this site They are Not allowed to give Legal advice. For your Depression See a Doctor!

Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OP YOU came here for Help! But cussing us is Not helping you! I suggest you see a Tenant Lawyer. Even if there is one on this site They are Not allowed to give Legal advice. For your Depression See a Doctor!
Who the hell am I cussing out?

Old 09-30-2020, 08:27 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsg1695 View Post
The old neighbor would make this noise of either dropping things or it sounding like he’s building something. For maybe an hour so straight, he had an odd pattern to how he did it. It was quiet certain weeks & then he would do it the following weeks. What the hell is that about? Let’s see what this one has in store

JENGA!

Ask if you can play?
Seriously, if its simply normal living sounds like cupboard doors closing or steps on floor you probably have 'el cheapo' construction. There are some things you can do to minimize transfer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjhrXFo0Kw

If you plan to stay for long time and don't want to invest in your unit and the construction type is shoddy you may want to check out other dwellings. Just be aware not all noises are avoidable.

Try working from home during COVID only to have the landscaping crews come buy and spend 3-4 hours with commercial grade leaf blowers that will make you want do unmentionable things.....

Old 09-30-2020, 08:33 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
I lived in a large apartment complex in NY in a studio with an alcove. Although surrounded by neighbors, I never heard anything except when one particular neighbor had his windows open and decided to play "Ravel's Bolero" on full blast. It is actually a lovely piece of music. Whenever he did this, which wasn't all that often, I stopped my activity and just listened. Fortunately, once at a time was enough for him.

Odd, the stuff you can get used to.

Images of Bo Derek come to mind. Perhaps it was his occasional 'session'?

I recall my first job after college a co worker would complain about his young trysting neighbors who had their own 'sound track' of choice which enabled him to know exactly when they were doing it. Probably better than listening to it sans sound track.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:38 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Images of Bo Derek come to mind. Perhaps it was his occasional 'session'?

I recall my first job after college a co worker would complain about his young trysting neighbors who had their own 'sound track' of choice which enabled him to know exactly when they were doing it. Probably better than listening to it sans sound track.
But...did they open cupboards? Walk across the floor? THAT is worth a 911 call....

Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
But...did they open cupboards? Walk across the floor? THAT is worth a 911 call....
Throwing shade, never fails

Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
You live and learn. It's a fact of life. So, don't blame yourself - not this time, anyway.

Multi-unit buildings have highly variable noise transmission potential. Some are like having someone living in the next room, some are just built such that each unit (even between floors) is quite soundproof. I've lived in both and you can't really tell by looking.

I always preferred places with concrete between the floors (common in some parts of the country, almost absent in others). I also lived in a place with a shared wall, but he had cinderblocks stacked between two layers of frames (for fireproofing I think). The neighbors had a very rocky marriage with lots of loud fights according to the wife - but I never heard a peep.

Well, next time you'll know.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Right now ME! Every time you cuss the system deletes 1/2 of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting