Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

What a load of crap this is.

I get they want to do renovations, and I’m all for it, but to tell your tenants that they can live in the middle of a construction project is just too much. When someone gets injured, who’s going to pay? Why should you be paying rent for a unit you cannot use??

If you’re doing by choice, in your own home, that’s on you. But to be forced to do it? Hell to the no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 06:37 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
<sigh> OK, phr, I give up, since you are clearly not going to answer what your final statement "The only difference is that you'll still be able to occupy your unit" meant, when the OP is obviously not able to "occupy his unit" in any normal sense of the word. And I already apologized for misunderstanding and again asked you what you meant since the statement makes no sense in context or out of context, but you didn't answer. So oh well. Have a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What a load of crap this is.

I get they want to do renovations, and I’m all for it, but to tell your tenants that they can live in the middle of a construction project is just too much. When someone gets injured, who’s going to pay? Why should you be paying rent for a unit you cannot use??

If you’re doing by choice, in your own home, that’s on you. But to be forced to do it? Hell to the no.
^^^ What she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I haven't been able to get through at HUD. I've left multiple messages with them and the state disability advocate office. Nothing back yet. I did speak with a guy at the building department and he retired me to the legal aid division. Who also needs to call me back.

The newsies I'm going to call tomorrow. See if they're interested. This project is federally funded so I know what the outfit that owns these places is doing. Shaving cist so they can pocket money.

The feds will consider the money spent when they release it. Anything left over is pure profit. Its been really frustrating trying to get an authoritative agency to step up. I keep getting referred to another agency.

But I'm not giving up. I wont roll over for this. It's so blatant and arrogant. The management is just acting so cocky. It's as if they cant be touched and theres nothing we can do but what they tell us to.

No, my hackles are up. I fully intend to blow the lid off this. One way or another.
Glad to hear it. I hope there's a big news story on this soon!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Theres a new twist to this now. One I haven't fully verified yet, but. BIG but, it does make sense. Another tenant told me that there is a possible asbestos issue involved.

That perked up my ears. If there is asbestos in these units that is a huge game changer. And its something I can verify for myself. I have a lot of serious training and field experience with the stuff. From my time I spent working for a DoD contractor. My department required pretty high level training for that.

Supposedly the plumbing and heat/AC ducting is insulated with suspect material. Which does jive since these places were built in 1972. Any suspect material installed before 1980 is classified as what is called in the business as PACM. Presumed Asbestos Containing Material. Which means if it not sampled and tested to prove its not...it must be treated as if it is.

The management of this joint is also required by federal and state law to disclose any possible risks of exposure to tenants. Nowhere in my lease is asbestos mentioned. Nor is any sampling and testing work for it mentioned in the "scope of work" schedule they gave us.

That scope they gave us is a bad joke. So, all I really have to do to satisfy my urge to know is take a peek into the attic access in my mechanical compartment. I know what to look for. I was trained at inspector level.

Oh my. If there actually is an exposure risk involved with the demo they're saying is going to happen that's a whole different kettle of feces. I'm certainly going to do my homework on this one.

That being said I'm certainly not going to go right out and kick up the dust. Not until I'm plumb certain. That's a very serious issue and not one to go off half out of battery with. I'm not a simpleton.

Nor am I a fear monger. Most folks in general dont know much about asbestos. Just maybe what they've heard in the news or online from sensationalist sources. Contrary to all that asbestos is not methyl ethyl death. It isnt an acute toxin. However federal and state law treats it that way.

So, if there actually is asbestos or suspect material here I will be dead certain to verify that before I say anything. I'm not going to just accept another tenants word on it. He obviously doesn't know just exactly what that involves. It's not something you make blind accusations about. That's a good way to get slapped with slander and defamation charges and false reporting of some serious charges.

So some careful and discrete poking around is required. But, that does indeed add some spice to this pot of chili.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The obvious option for the OP us to notify management that she is abandoning the lease. Why put up with the construction?

Nobody strips a building to the studs for fun. They are replacing plumbing or electric wiring, or vaguely possible that they are adding insulation or sound proofing. What would normally happen is that al;l the tenants would be given a notice to vacate. All of the tenants move out, the building is repaired, and management has no trouble at all finding new tenants.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:08 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The obvious option for the OP us to notify management that she is abandoning the lease. Why put up with the construction?

Nobody strips a building to the studs for fun. They are replacing plumbing or electric wiring, or vaguely possible that they are adding insulation or sound proofing. What would normally happen is that al;l the tenants would be given a notice to vacate. All of the tenants move out, the building is repaired, and management has no trouble at all finding new tenants.
The building is apparently for low-income disabled and elderly people. With the housing crunch, they have nowhere to go (especially no SIMILAR building to go to). The management is telling them they still have to pay rent because they're not being "displaced" because they can sleep each night in their unit -- but it will have no running water nor heat nor any fixtures or appliances (which includes bathroom fixtures!).

And you called them whiners.

And I can't believe what their management is doing is legal. You said the rules were different, and I asked for a citation that would indicate in any way that what the management is doing is acceptable.

Note, another poster wrote how their building handled renovations -- by moving people around to open units and doing the renovations in parts (which sounds reasonable and MUCH less disruptive).

I would love to see this on their local news, then picked up nationwide.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:21 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
And do you have a citation for the "different rules" you mentioned? I can't believe that they can charge people rent while they are renovating those people's apartments down to studs.
What limited knowledge I have about the subject, the "Different Rules" are in play but they are usually in favor of the tenants.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:24 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:

Because the OP is elderly and disabled? That would be my guess.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
The building is apparently for low-income disabled and elderly people. With the housing crunch, they have nowhere to go (especially no SIMILAR building to go to). The management is telling them they still have to pay rent because they're not being "displaced" because they can sleep each night in their unit -- but it will have no running water nor heat nor any fixtures or appliances (which includes bathroom fixtures!).

And you called them whiners.

And I can't believe what their management is doing is legal. You said the rules were different, and I asked for a citation that would indicate in any way that what the management is doing is acceptable.

Note, another poster wrote how their building handled renovations -- by moving people around to open units and doing the renovations in parts (which sounds reasonable and MUCH less disruptive).

I would love to see this on their local news, then picked up nationwide.
The newsies will definitely be involved. And to clarify for Oregonwoodsmoke I am male. I'm not really "elderly', but I am very disabled. In the last four years a full year of my life has been spent in hospitals. I would like to work,but nobody would hire me with my medical issues m.

My SSDI is my only income. And it hardly covers a lavish lifestyle. This place is the only place in town I can afford. And fir me it's still not cheap. The rent amount I'm paying is a totally separate issue that is being looked into as well.

My immediate neighbors are elderly. And have medical issues that are just off the scale. Mine are quite serious but my neighbors are worse. They are completely unable to sit in a sparsely furnished 'hospitality trailer" all day with ni sanitary facilities. I'm in better shape and I cant di that.

They have medications that are in a strict schedule that require refrigeration. Two if them spend most of their time in bed. Even if they put out sanity huts these people cant use them and there is ZERO plans to accommodate any such serious disabilities.

Just moving out is not an option for any of us. The two people I mentioned cannot drive even if they had a car. I help them when I can if they need to go somewhere. For doctor stuff they can get transport but if they need to say go to the pharmacy or some other non doctors office place that can be problematic.

Cabs and Uber or Lyft are expensive. So I help out when I can. And no I dont ask to be paid. That would be a frigging a$$hat thing to do. They are very scared. The management threatened them and they aren't in a position to put up a fight. Nor can any of us afford to get a hotel room that would accommodate needs. Not if we have to pay the rent and utilities for these places.
Yeah, pay for the contractors electricity to run all their tools and equipment Yeah, I'm just all happy to help them and the managment out. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

The renovations are great. These places need it Lord knows. Itll be nice. Providing everyone lives to enjoy it. And I'm plumb dead serious when I say that. Its gonna be really tough if not impossible to try and live with the conditions the management/corporate wants to impose.
I'm doing my level best to put up a fight. But I'm one lonely soldier. I do however have a bank of knowledge the management isnt expecting anyone here to have. And I'm loading my big guns. I'm going to do my level best to get this plastered all over the news.

And if the potential asbestos situation turns out to be real the corporate head office of these places is going to have to answer a LOT of tough questions. They're not expecting anyone here to put up any kind of a fight.

After all what kind of threat can a bunch of next ti destitute elderly and/or seriously disabled people be? They're going to find out. They poked the wrong bear.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:32 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Quote:
Welfare housing does not have to follow the same rules as regular housing that is not being paid for by the government.

You are allowed to stay there. You have a place to stay during the day. If you need more, you can find another place to stay at your own expense.

You are going to end up with a newly renovated place to live. Management is paying for your move and storage.

I swear, the more free stuff you give to people the more they whine about it and the more they think they deserve.
Always the humanitarian aintcha oregonwoodsmoke? Sweet Jesus you are the embodied essence of a slumlord. How could I possibly come up with the determination that you are a slumlord? Anyone who defends OP’s landlord in these conditions must be a like-minded individual. I feel bad for your tenants and hope they drag you through small claims court as any good tenant would do against their slumlords.

Hey OP, heed the advice others on here are suggesting and get together with the other tenants to hire a lawyer. Heck I bet any ethical lawyer would see your case pro Bono. Sorry you are going through this. I hope your situation gets resolved in your favor.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Theres a new twist to this now. One I haven't fully verified yet, but. BIG but, it does make sense. Another tenant told me that there is a possible asbestos issue involved.

That perked up my ears. If there is asbestos in these units that is a huge game changer. And its something I can verify for myself. I have a lot of serious training and field experience with the stuff. From my time I spent working for a DoD contractor. My department required pretty high level training for that.

Supposedly the plumbing and heat/AC ducting is insulated with suspect material. Which does jive since these places were built in 1972. Any suspect material installed before 1980 is classified as what is called in the business as PACM. Presumed Asbestos Containing Material. Which means if it not sampled and tested to prove its not...it must be treated as if it is.

The management of this joint is also required by federal and state law to disclose any possible risks of exposure to tenants. Nowhere in my lease is asbestos mentioned. Nor is any sampling and testing work for it mentioned in the "scope of work" schedule they gave us.

That scope they gave us is a bad joke. So, all I really have to do to satisfy my urge to know is take a peek into the attic access in my mechanical compartment. I know what to look for. I was trained at inspector level.

Oh my. If there actually is an exposure risk involved with the demo they're saying is going to happen that's a whole different kettle of feces. I'm certainly going to do my homework on this one.

That being said I'm certainly not going to go right out and kick up the dust. Not until I'm plumb certain. That's a very serious issue and not one to go off half out of battery with. I'm not a simpleton.

Nor am I a fear monger. Most folks in general dont know much about asbestos. Just maybe what they've heard in the news or online from sensationalist sources. Contrary to all that asbestos is not methyl ethyl death. It isnt an acute toxin. However federal and state law treats it that way.

So, if there actually is asbestos or suspect material here I will be dead certain to verify that before I say anything. I'm not going to just accept another tenants word on it. He obviously doesn't know just exactly what that involves. It's not something you make blind accusations about. That's a good way to get slapped with slander and defamation charges and false reporting of some serious charges.

So some careful and discrete poking around is required. But, that does indeed add some spice to this pot of chili.
Good for you finding this out. Health Dept, whatever the asbestos group is, advocates, tv/paper news all the way. All the best to you in your new effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting