Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,192 times

Advertisements

My lease is up the first week of September but I may need to leave prior to that. However, I am not sure if I understand my lease. So, I need help!!!

"Resident may not assign or sublet the Agreement or the Premises in any manner or to any extent without the prior written permission of Lessor. It is hereby understood and agreed that any consent by Lessor to any agreement of subletting of the Premises shall not constitute consent to any future assignment or subletting, nor would such consent release Resident from liability under this Agreement."

I THINK that means that I can sublet with permission but I would be responsible for any damages the person subletting causes. Correct?

To Terminate my lease it requires the following:
~60 day notice
~Pay back concessions
~Pay an early termination fee of 2 months rent.

So, would I owe for FOUR months? Or 2 months? I think 4- the two for the notice plus 2 for the penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,633 times
You can sublet only if the landlord gives you WRITTEN permission. This permission does not open the door to future subletting. It only applies one time. If the sub-leaser decides to skip out (stop paying rent) that means YOU are still on the lease and will have to cover any damages/back rent (at least until your contract is over). That's the way I understand it.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
This is the reason why I only do month-to-month rentals. I never do leases.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,311 times
Just approach your landlord and explain the situation...I'm sure he doesn't want you subletting.
I've had tenants in the past who've needed to break a lease a few months early...if they were always upfront..I'd comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting