Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get some advice, reassurance or to be told I’m overreacting.
I had to move from my apartment that I was sharing with a roommate for 3 yrs due to the landlord selling the house in January of this year.
I luckily found a place a few blocks away that I moved into in March, I also have 2 roommates living here.

Unfortunately one of my roommates who was a flight attendant decided to move back to her home state because of covid and being furloughed in April.
So the room next to mine was vacant until June due to covid precautions when our landlord found a young student who moved in but due to a family emergency she had to move back with them in September.

Both of these ladies I did not have a problem with, other than the student was a little messy.
The other roommate is very clean and courteous.
Another lady moved in, right after and to describe the rooms, I have a master bedroom square large sized room and on one wall side is her room on the other side, her room is very small and rectangular. The floors creak terribly as well on her side which I have gotten used to earlier.
The other roommate’s room is next to the bathroom and there is a big gap/wall, so I don’t hear her,
I introduced myself to her the day she moved in but I got the vibe she was a bit unfriendly and when I asked her about the bathroom schedule because I work from home due to covid and wake up at 5, but she told me her schedule fluctuates, and she doesn’t have one.
I wasn’t trying to pry though but I could tell my conversation was awkward.

One issue is she walks so heavy footed in the room, down the stairs and the landlord has also asked her to be mindful when she first moved in because she has 2 small dogs that bark at any noise. She also had to tape a sign up on the downstairs front door because she doesn’t lock it and left it open 5 x as per what my landlord told me. This was in the first few weeks. She slams her captains bed shelves, drops things..sometimes I’m in bed and hear the floor vibrating which has heightened my anxiety.

The first personal issue I had was there are 3 towel racks in the bathroom designated for each of us. I noticed my personal towel was moved and hanging on the hook. I get anxiety from my things being touched, so I knocked on her door but I didn’t accuse her I just asked if she saw my purple towel, and she said she moved it to wash and hang her McDonald’s work uniform. She said it so nonchalantly which stunned me, so I told her there is a hook for her on the shower door as well as 3 hooks on the inside of the door, but she ignored me and it was just awkward. To be fair she did apologize.

I told my landlord about this, she was sympathetic but said she can’t force her to use the other towel rack—-which I understand but don’t touch my things.
The 2nd issue I had was I woke up at 3am to hear her talking on speaker to someone.
I texted her politely that I have to be up at 5 and if she can keep it down. Nothing, no response back.
I waited a hr then texted my landlord.

The next day my landlord sent a group chat about noise and personally spoke to her, and she said it wouldn’t happen again.
It stung though because she couldn’t even bother to reply to me which I found disrespectful.
I’ve complained about loud banging, dropping things to my landlord as well.
I bought a box fan, used white noise apps, have an air diffuser, headphones...that block out her noise.

But it’s been so stressful to have all these things on to block someone out who you cannot have a conversation with and dread them waking up and coming home.
My other issues she comes in and doesn’t wash her hands (especially with covid and I had an acute pulmonary embolism a few years ago, so I could be at high risk, my roommate also told me after the toilet flushes she doesn’t wash her hands. She rarely takes showers, doesn’t use the toilet brush for #2 toilet residue.
And I end up having to clean up after her.
I appreciate all feedback—negative and positive
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 09:49 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,748 times
Hi OP,

If I were you I would keep all of my towels/washcloths, bodywash, etc. out of the bathroom and leave them in your bedroom. I did the same when I was rooming with others during college.
Use paper towels or gloves when you open doors around the house, and if you find disinfectant spray the common surfaces w/it once she is out of the house. Sorry you have to deal w/an inconsiderate roommate!

My roommates were a little messy, but I would let certain things slide as long as they didn't enter my room or hog the kitchen and bathroom.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Your landlord is not your mother. Stop contacting her about your issues... sit down with your roommates and have a conversation. If you can’t do that, then moving is always an option... if you have to have a roommate find a cheap place with only one other person or find a place you can afford on your own.

Kudos to your landlord for putting up with such ridiculous complaints and texts. If you ever text me at 0400 because your roommate was on the phone, I’d tell you to move or be moved.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya86 View Post
I had to move from my apartment that I was sharing with a roommate for 3 yrs due to the landlord selling the house in January of this year.
I luckily found a place a few blocks away that I moved into in March, I also have 2 roommates living here.

Unfortunately one of my roommates who was a flight attendant decided to move back to her home state because of covid and being furloughed in April.
So the room next to mine was vacant until June due to covid precautions when our landlord found a young student who moved in but due to a family emergency she had to move back with them in September.

Both of these ladies I did not have a problem with, other than the student was a little messy.
Another lady moved in, right after and to describe the rooms, I have a master bedroom square large sized room and on one wall side is her room on the other side, her room is very small and rectangular. The floors creak terribly as well on her side which I have gotten used to earlier.
The other roommate’s room is next to the bathroom and there is a big gap/wall, so I don’t hear her,
I introduced myself to her the day she moved in but I got the vibe she was a bit unfriendly and when I asked her about the bathroom schedule because I work from home due to covid and wake up at 5, but she told me her schedule fluctuates, and she doesn’t have one.

One issue is she walks so heavy footed in the room, down the stairs and the landlord has also asked her to be mindful when she first moved in because she has 2 small dogs that bark at any noise. She also had to tape a sign up on the downstairs front door because she doesn’t lock it and left it open 5 x as per what my landlord told me. This was in the first few weeks. She slams her captains bed shelves, drops things..sometimes I’m in bed and hear the floor vibrating which has heightened my anxiety.

The first personal issue I had was there are 3 towel racks in the bathroom designated for each of us. I noticed my personal towel was moved and hanging on the hook. I get anxiety from my things being touched, so I knocked on her door but I didn’t accuse her I just asked if she saw my purple towel, and she said she moved it to wash and hang her McDonald’s work uniform. She said it so nonchalantly which stunned me, so I told her there is a hook for her on the shower door as well as 3 hooks on the inside of the door, but she ignored me and it was just awkward. To be fair she did apologize.

I told my landlord about this, she was sympathetic but said she can’t force her to use the other towel rack—-which I understand but don’t touch my things.
The 2nd issue I had was I woke up at 3am to hear her talking on speaker to someone.
I texted her politely that I have to be up at 5 and if she can keep it down. Nothing, no response back.

The next day my landlord sent a group chat about noise and personally spoke to her, and she said it wouldn’t happen again.
It stung though because she couldn’t even bother to reply to me which I found disrespectful.
I bought a box fan, used white noise apps, have an air diffuser, headphones...that block out her noise.

But it’s been so stressful to have all these things on to block someone out who you cannot have a conversation with and dread them waking up and coming home.
My other issues she comes in and doesn’t wash her hands (especially with covid and I had an acute pulmonary embolism a few years ago, so I could be at high risk, my roommate also told me after the toilet flushes she doesn’t wash her hands. She rarely takes showers, doesn’t use the toilet brush for #2 toilet residue.
Thanks
This isn't a matter of overreacting, its a matter of trying to pass the buck. You are trying to duck having an uncomfortable conversation with the appropriate people...your roommates. Your LL is not your interpersonal referee or boarding school housemother. All of you are supposedly adults. These complaints stem from not setting shared living space ground rules...and are up to roommates to sort out for themselves. What is acceptable to the group and what is not. Discussions like this end up creating compromises...so you will need to honor them as well. It might not work for the one with the most extreme demands. I would never call a LL about stuff like this.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-20-2020 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM

178 posts, read 82,494 times
Yes you decide if you can correct the problems or you can live with them.
If not move.
Not easy for 3 strangers to live together. So you have to expect problems unless you get lucky.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 7,866 times
Your roommate needs a lesson on basic cleaning issues. Stop telling the landlord... better yet, like someone else here said, put your stuff in your room. How childish of you to go ratting to the landlord. You know the kind of person that roommate is.. she doesn't need to be friends with you . Roommates are not your friends. Keep your towel and shower things in your room and stop being petty.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Your landlord is not your mother. Stop contacting her about your issues... sit down with your roommates and have a conversation. If you can’t do that, then moving is always an option... if you have to have a roommate find a cheap place with only one other person or find a place you can afford on your own.

Kudos to your landlord for putting up with such ridiculous complaints and texts. If you ever text me at 0400 because your roommate was on the phone, I’d tell you to move or be moved.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya86 View Post

Thanks
According to your username you are 34? Tattle tailing to the landlord?

Old 11-21-2020, 02:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Stop calling your landlord. They aren't your mom, and you aren't 10 years old telling on your brother.
Talk to your roommates like adults. If you end up still not being able to stand it, get your own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting