Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2020, 02:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

That's funny. After years of renting different apartments, I vowed to NEVER EVER rent anything other than the ground floor unit. I don't want anyone hearing ME and my noises I may make. At least on the ground floor, there's no one below me who can hear me or complain about me. I have heard so many conversations above me, music, walking around, etc. over the years that it made me incredibly conscious of the fact that other people would hear ME if I lived above them. That just doesn't sit well with me. So I chose to get only ground floor units and just deal with the noise above me and have the peace of mind knowing that there's no one below me who can hear me.

Also, having a unit above the ground floor kind of sucks if there are stairs that you have to go up and down all the time just to get from outside into your unit. Especially if carrying groceries.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 03:33 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't want anyone hearing ME and my noises I may make. At least on the ground floor, there's no one below me who can hear me or complain about me.
The way it works is that the person in the lower unit cannot complain about noise above unless it is unusual or excessive (blaring music at 12am etc.). You cannot simply complain about a person just walking around in their house.

However, your normal activity is not heard in the above unit due to the noise not being on the ceiling.

Also, switching apartments, I have no guarantee that I get neighbors from hell from the side units. There is a risk I could make my situation even worse by moving.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:11 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
While I'd be tempted to move, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble for me.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:47 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I'd be tempted to move, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble for me.
that is what I am thinking... it's going to be a royal PITA to move especially since I just went through moving, I HATE moving, worst thing ever.

Also, it's going to cost me to wrap up my current apartment (cleaning costs etc.), then moving costs etc. etc.

I was thinking of picking up something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1U9L5W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

there should be something similar to put on when sleeping with it being comfortable for extended periods... I will have to do some research on it.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:08 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
that is what I am thinking... it's going to be a royal PITA to move especially since I just went through moving, I HATE moving, worst thing ever.

Also, it's going to cost me to wrap up my current apartment (cleaning costs etc.), then moving costs etc. etc.

I was thinking of picking up something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1U9L5W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

there should be something similar to put on when sleeping with it being comfortable for extended periods... I will have to do some research on it.
I think those would work! Just be careful, though, as you may not be able to hear alarms or knocking on your door in the case of an emergency with those things on.

I absolutely hate moving, too. I did move a few months ago, but that was to save money ($600 a month). Even that didn't make the the process better, though.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:17 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Most of the apartments I've rented have required carpeting or large area rugs in each room. Fairly common in NYC.

Something to look for in your next rental.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
What you’re hearing is normal daily living noise. When it become nuisance noise, then you can deal with it.

Moving to another unit won’t guarantee quiet... shoot, moving to a single family home won’t guarantee that either.

If you like where are, stay where you are.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:40 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It sounds pretty mild compared to many of the noise complaints we hear about. What I would worry about, if I were you, would be that I would escape from the occasional walker and move into a nightmare unit below a bass drum player.

Honestly, you can make up your mind that it doesn't bother you and it doesn't take very long before your mind tunes it out and it is just background noise.

If you let it bother you and you concentrate on it, it will bother you more and more .

Old 11-23-2020, 07:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Most of the apartments I've rented have required carpeting or large area rugs in each room. Fairly common in NYC.

Something to look for in your next rental.
That is something limited to NYC. Many people don’t really care for carpets in apartments because the wear and tear is much more. That said, it won’t necessarily solve the problem. I had a neighbor in one apartment who said her downstairs neighbor complained about her son getting ready for work at 4:30am. Her unit was totally carpeted and I don’t think he did anything but take a shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast.

FWIW, there are pluses and minuses to bottom and top floor. My last complex (I lived on the bottom) had the single elevator go out for weeks at a time. I was happy to be living on the bottom floor even though there was some mysterious dragging noises. Sometimes you can’t tell where the sound originates, and it might actually not be the person right above you. I could hear the dragging even louder in the hall than my unit. It doesn’t sound like the OP’s issue is that bad. You can buy noise canceling earbuds or wear earplugs.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:36 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
It sounds like you've already made up your mind that the fear of the unknown (will my next neighbors be worse?) is more unsettling than the known tame tenant upstairs. Your situation doesn't sound bad at all and hopefully the normal noise level will just fade into the background now that you've had a chance to "talk" it through with your friendly CD neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting