Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 06:33 AM

497 posts, read 422,112 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with my paid parking spot. In the winter there is always a puddle and it is ruining my tires. Do you think property management have a duty to fix the puddle issue?

I don’t want to make a request and draw negative attention to myself for a simple request that they may not be simple to them and begin harassment on me.
An option to move my parking spot is not okay with me due to my walking issues and I can’t walk long distance to the elevator with my groceries.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 06:58 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
maybe is the best answer .

building parking spots usually come with nothing more guaranteed then street parking does except it is more convenient .

they take no responsibility for security or anything else generally ... whatever you would encounter in the street is what you can expect when given a parking spot as far as their obligations .

many years ago there were some cars vandalized in the indoor garage . we wanted cameras put in ....the buildings attorney advised them not to do it . they could be deeming themselves taking some responsibility for the security of the cars by doing that , when they have no liability so it was not done .

Old 11-28-2020, 07:04 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
How is a puddle "ruining" your tires?

Many times parking lot paving will have low spots where water collects, especially if it's in a flow path for runoff.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:06 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I think you need to be more specific with the property manager. Puddles (water) won't cause tire damage. Is there a pot hole which is why there is a puddle? That can ruin tires. For a pothole, I'd mention it to the property manager. If you tell them the water is ruining your tires they'll ignore you.

If you're in Toronto, you'd better do it quickly. When winter arrives they can only fix potholes in certain temperatures.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:37 PM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Yes dont worry about it hurting the tires. I have even seen people drive in the rain with then.
Unless on a hill it is hard to do a whole parking lot. And make 100% of it drain. Good chance they would not redo the whole parking lot just for your puddle.

If dig up and repour just your parking space higher.
The the ones on the sides of yours would then have the puddle.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
...there is always a puddle and it is ruining my tires.
Do you think property management have a duty to fix the puddle issue?
What do you think?
Figure out WHY the water is pooling there.
If there is a defect that needs repair (eg: add some black top patch to level/regrade etc) the LL should repair it.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:34 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
They're not going to redo the parking lot because there's a puddle by your spot. Is it so deep that your tires are getting frozen into place? You can mention it to them, but don't expect them to do anything about it.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:26 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Water goes to the lowest spot. Unless there is a blocked drain, there is nothing that can be done about water in your parking space. Look around and see if there is a drain that appears to be blocked and if there is report that.

Other than that, get yourself a comfy pair or rain shoes and wear those as you get into and out of your car. Carry your good shoes and change when you get to where you are going.

You can file a complaint with Mother Nature about the rain, but generally, she doesn't care about one person getting their feet wet, so don't be disappointed if you don't get a response.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Ask if there is another spot you can have instead. i did this one time, no problem.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Ask if there is another spot you can have instead. i did this one time, no problem.

[[[[[........to move my parking spot is not okay with me due to my walking issues and I can’t walk long distance to the elevator with my groceries. .....]]]]]]]

OP refuses to move to a different spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting