Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 05:52 PM

24,533 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Her portion is 28% with Housing's portion
being 72%.

She made multiple calls to multiple people Saturday afternoon and evening insisting on immediate action and I responded saying I will be there within the hour.

The Negative Covid test came up after I arrived.

She said her CNA friend told her not to let anyone in without a recent negative test... so I left saying I have no idea when I can return under the circumstances and I'm concerned about the status of her household.

At this point if it gets ugly so be it...

All of my other tenants are wonderful... back in March I let them know there would be no rent increase this year and plan to carry this into 2021...

I get it... people are scared but it goes both ways or it should.
Document and notify everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 06:07 PM

828 posts, read 416,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Document and notify everyone.
Yes, document. Try to only contact by email or text that you save.

If you pay water. And they cannot cut off the valve. You may have to give her notice that you will cut off the main water line. From outside or crawl space. And then to get it back on. You will need to have a plumber come in and they will have to vacate during that short time. In order to maintain distance requirements with the plumber.

And you will not be able to require any testing. Since it would be unreasonable to expect a plumber to meet those demands.

And I myself would not renew lease. Anyone that is this stupid and unreasonable is not going to make a good long term tenant.

God help you if ever she has a real problem.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Her portion is 28% with Housing's portion
being 72%.

She made multiple calls to multiple people Saturday afternoon and evening insisting on immediate action and I responded saying I will be there within the hour.

The Negative Covid test came up after I arrived.

She said her CNA friend told her not to let anyone in without a recent negative test... so I left saying I have no idea when I can return under the circumstances and I'm concerned about the status of her household.

At this point if it gets ugly so be it...

All of my other tenants are wonderful... back in March I let them know there would be no rent increase this year and plan to carry this into 2021...

I get it... people are scared but it goes both ways or it should.
Unless she lost her income She Can NOT Stop paying her part. Contact your local office. IF she has lost all or part of her income They should pick up 100% of the rent.

Her CNA is CRAZY she Not a Nurse or a Dr. Has No Business telling her this crap. She Needs to be reported.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:25 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
........ I would have been happy to allow repair people in if I could have stayed in a hotel for three or so days,.........

My goodness. There is no reason you could not stay in a hotel for a few days, no one is stopping you. Just get the landlord to tell you when the repairmen will be there and pack your suitcase and leave. Get a crime scene cleanup before you return home.

Just don't expect the landlord to pay for any of that. Your landlord did not assume your parent's job of protecting you and providing for you. It's up to you to protect yourself.

Adding: it's beyond me why you would think a hotel would be a safer place than your own house that had masked repairmen in there not touching anything unnecessary, and using hand sanitizer. I wouldn't trust a hotel for even a second about what they are doing to sanitize their rooms, where there have been a stream of strangers and a couple of housemaids every day, changing the sheets, or maybe not changing the sheets, and maybe or maybe not disinfecting the toilet.

But, hey, it's certainly your choice.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Hey, Ultrarunner. The woman is a nutjob. Here's what you do.

No communication with her from herein going forward, except in writing. Email or text. Something you can document, prove.

Send her in writing this: Thank her for notifying you of the leak, that you responded immediately to her notifying you of the leaking faucet, but that she denied you entry.

Notify her that her portion of the rent is missing, has been missing since October, and that if she has had a change in her financial circumstances, that she must notify the housing authority, so that they will increase the portion of her rent that they pay. Also notify her that paying her portion is a condition of keeping her voucher, that she is risking the loss of her voucher by not paying her portion. Let her know that you will be notifying the housing authority of the missing rent, and of her refusal to allow you entry to make repairs to the plumbing.

Then get in touch with her caseworker on Monday, tell them what is going on, and get the caseworker to deal with her. Also the DCF caseworker (has to be one, since she's got the grandkids).

You have to get her to understand that you are going to notify everyone involved in her gravy train (being the caregiver for the disabled grandkids), because what she is doing, namely refusing to pay her portion of the rent (which probably is derived not from any work income, but from the grandsons' SSI money), is endangering her Sec 8 voucher, endangers her housing, and if she loses her housing, she loses the grandkids, and their SSI money.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 PM

648 posts, read 431,705 times
Those demands will hold up about 2 seconds when it goes before the judge. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
No updates...

New roof is scheduled first week of February which should be fine in California...

Partners tonight floated plan to sell after roof... Being over 60 and qualifying as disabled and custodian of special needs minors in Oakland CA provide many avenues to continue...

Refusal to allow repair looks like the last straw...

Important to note she never applied or executed a lease. Housing had lost the file except for recent annual inspections

The unit was rented to her mother who was truly disabled raising current tenants children because of failure to provide stable home... original tenant was a fine woman and exemplary.

Original tenant passed suddenly from heart attack and housing did emergency transfer of certificate to the person unable to provide stable home.

When owners balked agency said under Just Cause Statute there was no right to decline... even city council representative and county supervisor made home visits with media as to how the children would be county wards unless Housing granted extenuating circumstances transfer...

Probably too much information but even when you do everything right with screening and qualifying sometimes you inherit problems.

Social worker visited my job stressing how so many pulled together to make it happen...

This one rental is more effort than all the others combined without exaggeration... and this is pre-covid.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-02-2021 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 11:01 AM

828 posts, read 416,009 times
Also would be funny to see her response. If you demand she have a negative test within 72 hours before you will send someone over.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
hey, ultrarunner. The woman is a nutjob. Here's what you do.

No communication with her from herein going forward, except in writing. Email or text. Something you can document, prove.

Send her in writing this: Thank her for notifying you of the leak, that you responded immediately to her notifying you of the leaking faucet, but that she denied you entry.

Notify her that her portion of the rent is missing, has been missing since october, and that if she has had a change in her financial circumstances, that she must notify the housing authority, so that they will increase the portion of her rent that they pay. Also notify her that paying her portion is a condition of keeping her voucher, that she is risking the loss of her voucher by not paying her portion. Let her know that you will be notifying the housing authority of the missing rent, and of her refusal to allow you entry to make repairs to the plumbing.

Then get in touch with her caseworker on monday, tell them what is going on, and get the caseworker to deal with her. Also the dcf caseworker (has to be one, since she's got the grandkids).

You have to get her to understand that you are going to notify everyone involved in her gravy train (being the caregiver for the disabled grandkids), because what she is doing, namely refusing to pay her portion of the rent (which probably is derived not from any work income, but from the grandsons' ssi money), is endangering her sec 8 voucher, endangers her housing, and if she loses her housing, she loses the grandkids, and their ssi money.
exactly!!

Old 01-03-2021, 02:10 PM

On Jan 1st the Sheriff Removed one of the Tenants in the apt complex. I was not surprised as this tenant in front of me as others told the Apt Mgr he was Not going to pay rent do to Covid. The mgr went thro ALL proper proper procidurtues including court...where the Tenant claimed he was in the Right do to Covid. Guess the Sheriff kicking him out prove how Wrong he was. His income was SSD ..& was on Section 8. Not only did the income Not change He got the $1200 & Bragged the other day was going to get the $600!! His part of the rent was $40 a month!! His SNAP went up & LEAIP was covering Most of his Electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting