Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 02:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

rather than focus on what the score actually is, I'd focus on the why. And their rental history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 03:42 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Not me , no reason to play detective and try to to find that needle in a hay stack and have to evaluate their willingness to pay and ability to pay or the reasons .

.. we have enough of a tenant base looking it is just on to the next. No reason to even bother being a detective

Old 02-09-2021, 04:41 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
OP, I was a LL for 8 years, from 2012 (when I bought my current house and made my previous house a rental) to 2020 (when I sold the rental house).

My last tenants were at the house for 4 years. When they gave notice (because they were buying their own house), I decided to get out of the LL business entirely, and I was very very lucky with timing etc. and the rental house sold quickly and for way more net than I had expected.

But that's a bit of a digression ... my point for THIS thread was that I had an applicant in my last "round" (4-1/2 years ago now) that I really liked a lot -- but her credit score was just under 600. And there was simply NO WAY I could take a chance on her, because it was clear that she didn't always pay her bills, and I simply could not afford to pay my own mortgage AND her rent.

So, like others in this thread, I would just say no -- although you haven't yet said WHY her score is so low (and 600 is "fair"? Really? I would consider it very poor credit). You've seen her credit report by now, right? So why is her score only 600?

Old 02-10-2021, 03:08 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
You can buy a house with a 580.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:21 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You can buy a house with a 580.
Well, it would be pretty stupid if your credit is that bad, but I guess your lender would be the loser if you defaulted.

But in any case, being a LL is different, and that's what THIS thread is about. When I was a LL, I had ONE property, and if my 580-credit-score tenant simply stopped paying, I would be out of luck (especially in these COVID times).

And I wish the OP would come back and answer questions that have been asked ...

Old 02-10-2021, 03:24 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Id find out where he lived before and why he's moving. Its hard enough evicting in the best of times; but nowadays with the eviction moratoriums, people can move in and just stop paying, and there isnt a thing you can do about it. Tread softly.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:17 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
In many states it's illegal to accept pre-paid rent. Find out if your state has such a law. I know it's illegal in California and New York
I can’t speak for NY, but it’s certainly not illegal in California to accept prepaid rent.

As for the OP it’s tough, but a lot of good people have no/bad credit for many reasons. I’ve had less than stellar credit when I was younger and I was always able to rent a place because I was honest up front about my situation, had verifiable income, and a perfect rental record. Had I just dropped off the app without introducing myself and telling them my story I doubt I would’ve gotten several places that I did

I got tons of calls from property management companies for my employees over the years and most got their places after I told them they were of good character, and made a lot more than their paychecks show in tips. Most were in still in college, recently graduated, or still in their 20’s. Seeing how most lived off the cash they made with no regards to building credit I’d have to assume their credit was low.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I can’t speak for NY, but it’s certainly not illegal in California to accept prepaid rent.

As for the OP it’s tough, but a lot of good people have no/bad credit for many reasons. I’ve had less than stellar credit when I was younger and I was always able to rent a place because I was honest up front about my situation, had verifiable income, and a perfect rental record. Had I just dropped off the app without introducing myself and telling them my story I doubt I would’ve gotten several places that I did

I got tons of calls from property management companies for my employees over the years and most got their places after I told them they were of good character, and made a lot more than their paychecks show in tips. Most were in still in college, recently graduated, or still in their 20’s. Seeing how most lived off the cash they made with no regards to building credit I’d have to assume their credit was low.
According to California law there are caps on prepaid rent

Prepaid Rent: The landlord is allowed to collect one month’s prepaid rent (first month’s rent) plus two or three months’ security deposit depending if furnished or not

https://www.apartments.com/rental-ma...aws/california

Old 02-12-2021, 01:04 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
According to California law there are caps on prepaid rent

Prepaid Rent: The landlord is allowed to collect one month’s prepaid rent (first month’s rent) plus two or three months’ security deposit depending if furnished or not

https://www.apartments.com/rental-ma...aws/california
Instead of doing a google search and going off of what apartmentsdotcom says, how about look at state law?

https://www.dre.ca.gov/files/pdf/refbook/ref09.pdf

Quote:

A landlord may require that the tenant pay, regardless of the purpose therefor and in addition to the first month’s rent, a maximum of:
two months’ rent in the case of an unfurnished residential property;
three months’ rent in the case of a furnished residential property.
If, however, the term of the lease is six months or longer, the landlord is not prohibited from collecting an advance payment of not less than 6 months rents.

It’s not uncommon for people to prepay 1 year around here.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:44 PM

Here in New York we are now forbidden from getting anything more than first months rent and a month security..it sucks ..tenants use up the security and don’t pay the last month and you got nothing..our governor is a moron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting