Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 09:10 PM

728 posts, read 299,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My wife and I had covid that required two weeks of hospitalization....

So far all we got is the hospital bill ...that includes no doctors ,no ambulance , no home care stuff .

It was just under a quarter million dollars for the two of us ...we have Medicare and a supplement ...it cost us ten bucks so far

Two weeks in the hospital? Hope it wasn't too bad. Glad you guys recovered. Hospital charges are about $2000 per day. Two of you for a two week stay should add up to around 50k. Why a quarter million?

Medicare has a deductible of $1,400. Which supplemental insurer covered that for you? Looks like a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 03:08 AM

105,747 posts, read 107,736,740 times
2000 a day ? Ha ha ha ..

Not here in Long Island or nyc ..they also lump the room to all kinds of other services so there is no per day breakout shown on the supplement statement ...perhaps maybe when I get the Medicare statement it may show more detail

Things like the pharmacy show just for me about 14k, that was remdesivir, steroids , anti clotting shots ,cough meds , sleep aid ,and insulin ,all daily

lab work was about 15k , emergency room 4500

EKG 615.00 , X-ray 315.00 , room and nursing services were over 100k , that is about 7k a day they bill.

Yes the supplement waived the 1408 and paid it because it was covid.

Actually for a 14 day stay for covid the charges are right in line with what they show on line

For 11 to 15 day hospital stints, patients under 20 continued to pay more than their counterparts. The average amount for this group was $324,285 compared to $152,388 for patients over 60.

https://www.healthcarefinancenews.co...8000-based-age

"——————————

Total billed charges$104,797.13

Humana discounts$0.00

Plan exclusions$138,709.13

Benefit exclusions$0.00

Amount Humana Paid$1,408.00

Your share$0.00

Applied to deductible$0.00

Applied to copay$0.00

Applied to coinsurance$0.00

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-17-2021 at 03:50 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 06:04 AM

9,344 posts, read 13,932,112 times
Returning to the original question.

TLDR all the comments, but I would consider two things. One who his employer is and if his prospects of staying employed at the stable company are good, and two whether the low rating is simply due to a young age and no credit history yet. A person living at home and perhaps never buying on credit but with a sufficient savings account might be reliable.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:10 AM

105,747 posts, read 107,736,740 times
But remember , demonstrating an ability to pay does not demonstrate a willingness to pay .especially if things get tight and their priority’s come in to play .

Which is why credit history can be pretty important ...it used along with back ground checks where legal ,so those who need to evaluate you , can get at least some insight into who you are and how you have been with money and your life up to that point .

Many times how you are with money is a very good night into just who you are as strong links have been made between our financial lives and who we are as a person.

Suzy orman used to say “ I spend more than because I think less than “

Old 02-20-2021, 02:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,463,984 times
Update:

I finally received the credit report and background check. The person had a few possession convictions.

I will pass.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:05 PM

13,287 posts, read 7,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No credit history is as bad as a poor credit history....you have no insight at all in to that person ...they have not demonstrated in a meaningful way that they have the want and ability to pay .

It is also not all that hard to figure out how to get a new credit identity if you know how and leaving your poor history behind .

My step brother paid to find out how to do that . His credit history was sooooo bad .

...unfortunately it didn’t work for him but it did give his new address and phone number to all the old creditors that stopped calling when he moved to florida.

But for some it works ...in which case you come up credit history not found

Indeed a red flag. I own rentals in the Phx metro. The phone rings off the hook the day I list a property. Problem is 8 or 9 out of 10 inquires I immediately dismiss.

If you don't have at least a 600 credit score, can show verifiable income/ earn 3.5 times the monthly rent there's no need to go any further. I'm polite but the answer is no.

Another red flag are stories. If an application isn't clean and applicant has to "explain" this or that... forget it.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Update:

I finally received the credit report and background check. The person had a few possession convictions.

I will pass.

I try and make it clear the requirements before a person submits an applications. I won't accept on-line applications.

I want to talk with and meet the person before they fill out an application and take money for a credit check.

Last edited by john3232; 02-28-2021 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 01:17 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,261,712 times
This topic is of peripheral interest to me.

I have a 30-something daughter (single) who has a graduate college student loan of undetermined amount (I think it was around 50K)--she refuses to discuss it with me. Her dad convinced her to at least make a good faith payment on the the interest. She also has a current credit card balance of $750 which she is in the process of paying down. She has been employed as a substitute teacher via a temp agency for the past 6 or so years. When COVID hit and she could no longer teach the temp agency got her employment at area group homes. My daughter also got a gig job last summer managing social media for an environmental group. On top of all this, she has a fledgling photography business. Sometimes she barters her photography services for yoga and dance classes. The kid is a pretty quiet introvert that has never been in any kind of trouble. She is continually on the lookout for permanent positions in either the arts or education but it's extremely competitive out there. At first she was willing to relocate, but the longer she's out of a "real job" the harder it is for her to think of moving as she has now pretty much established herself in CT.

I won't bore you guys with the details, but long story short, she has not been able to rent an apartment on her own. The best she could do was move in with me or with friends OR share a room an apartment or a house. In one case the roommate did not renew the lease, in another case the owner of the home decided to sell the house. She has been forced to move 3 times in 3 years. This go around she found a tiny loft apartment in a converted factory in Hartford that she will be moving into March 1. In order for her to secure the apartment I had to co-sign on the lease. If it wasn't for the fact that she knew people who already lived there I doubt that she would have gotten a second look.

This is today's reality. Full time, stable, benefitted jobs are hard to come by in this economy. So yeah, her credit report is going to look sucky. I suspect it's that way for a lot of people....

Old 02-28-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
This topic is of peripheral interest to me.

I have a 30-something daughter (single) who has a graduate college student loan of undetermined amount (I think it was around 50K)--she refuses to discuss it with me. Her dad convinced her to at least make a good faith payment on the the interest. She also has a current credit card balance of $750 which she is in the process of paying down. She has been employed as a substitute teacher via a temp agency for the past 6 or so years. When COVID hit and she could no longer teach the temp agency got her employment at area group homes. My daughter also got a gig job last summer managing social media for an environmental group. On top of all this, she has a fledgling photography business. Sometimes she barters her photography services for yoga and dance classes. The kid is a pretty quiet introvert that has never been in any kind of trouble. She is continually on the lookout for permanent positions in either the arts or education but it's extremely competitive out there. At first she was willing to relocate, but the longer she's out of a "real job" the harder it is for her to think of moving as she has now pretty much established herself in CT.

I won't bore you guys with the details, but long story short, she has not been able to rent an apartment on her own. The best she could do was move in with me or with friends OR share a room an apartment or a house. In one case the roommate did not renew the lease, in another case the owner of the home decided to sell the house. She has been forced to move 3 times in 3 years. This go around she found a tiny loft apartment in a converted factory in Hartford that she will be moving into March 1. In order for her to secure the apartment I had to co-sign on the lease. If it wasn't for the fact that she knew people who already lived there I doubt that she would have gotten a second look.

This is today's reality. Full time, stable, benefitted jobs are hard to come by in this economy. So yeah, her credit report is going to look sucky. I suspect it's that way for a lot of people....

I agree. Yet, there are also qualified applicants which is why owners/property management companies can afford to be selective.

I'm sure I've turned away those who might have made excellent renters. However, experience has taught me I can only go by what can be verified.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:04 PM

110 posts, read 107,953 times
I think it's unfair/inaccurate to use a FICO score to determine renting. It's such a small part of the picture. What matters to me is did this person pay their rent on time. That's all. Get references, as many as possible, and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting