Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:18 PM

415 posts, read 371,126 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved into my house in August and the property manager wanted to bring something by and asked to do a walkthrough. I politely explained my concerns with having people over as I am extremely immune compromised and I haven't been seeing anybody due to covid, and he said no problem and we did a video call instead, although we didn't go through everything.

Due to extreme weather conditions in my area, I text him tonight and asked where the shut off water valve was just in case a pipe should burst, and he told me where it was but said "this is why I wanted to do the walkthrough that we never did," and then he went on to say he would be in my neighborhood at the end of the week and would stop by to check on me, yet he didn't give me a day or time.

I know that landlords and property managers are allowed access to the property, but he didn't give me any day or time and I really don't feel comfortable seeing anyone due to covid.

Do you think it is reasonable for me to just explain this to him again? If there was an issue at the home I would notify him and I have no issues allowing entry, it is just the covid aspect I am concerned about. I haven't even seen my friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 12:04 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Wear a mask and latex gloves. Insist that he wear a mask and latex gloves before you let him in. Have extras on hand.

With both of you protected you should be fine.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Ask him to wear a mask and to sanitize his hands before he comes in. Also ask him to sanitize before and after he touches anything.

No need for gloves when your hands are clean and you’re practicing proper hand hygiene throughout the visit. Gloves just move germs from item to another... cross contamination.

I understand your concern for not wanting people in your home, but you have to be reasonable about it.. you’re a tenant ans you can’t refuse them entry.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Maybe by the end of the week, he will know what his schedule looks like and can give you a more definite time.

It sounds like you are home full time, never going out anyway, so scheduling should not be a problem for you.

You can not keep management out, covid or not, and your property manager is being extremely accommodating. Mask up and let the manager do his job.

If you want to keep everyone out of your dwelling place, buy your own house and learn how to do all the repairs yourself. Otherwise, you are going to have people in your rental whether you want them or not. Buildings must be maintained.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:33 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I understand your concern for not wanting people in your home, but you have to be reasonable about it.. you’re a tenant ans you can’t refuse them entry.
Exactly.

One of my smoke detectors started squeaking several months ago, and it's the one on the cathedral ceiling in the living room. That, and my landlord doesn't want me fiddling with the smoke detectors anyway, but to let him deal with them (he's a retired pro fire fighter, plus he lives downstairs from me so it's no problem for him to take care of things for me). I let him know when I am going to be out of the house, and he comes up and takes care of things during that time. Same when I needed to have the heaters turned on last fall.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly.

One of my smoke detectors started squeaking several months ago, and it's the one on the cathedral ceiling in the living room. That, and my landlord doesn't want me fiddling with the smoke detectors anyway, but to let him deal with them (he's a retired pro fire fighter, plus he lives downstairs from me so it's no problem for him to take care of things for me). I let him know when I am going to be out of the house, and he comes up and takes care of things during that time. Same when I needed to have the heaters turned on last fall.
I have no issue with him coming in. It is more the covid concern if he isn't wearing a mask, and it sounds as if he wants me there.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I have no issue with him coming in. It is more the covid concern if he isn't wearing a mask, and it sounds as if he wants me there.
Of course he wants you there... how can he show you how to turn the water off, and other things, if you’re not there? The likelihood of you catching Covid while you’re both masked is quite low especially since he’ll only be there what? 30 mins?

He won’t be offended if you ask him to wear a mask.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Of course he wants you there... how can he show you how to turn the water off, and other things, if you’re not there? The likelihood of you catching Covid while you’re both masked is quite low especially since he’ll only be there what? 30 mins?

He won’t be offended if you ask him to wear a mask.
I was merely stating to the person above who said they just go out when there landlord comes by that going out is not an option for me as he wants me here.......

Old 02-19-2021, 09:34 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
This isn't rocket science. Wear a mask, have him wear a mask. Stay 6' apart.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
If it makes you feel more secure, in addition to both wearing masks, get a can of Lysol and spray the air in the house when he leaves. You’ll be fine. We are seniors and moved to a new house this year. We had movers and then contractors in doing modifications to the new place. Everyone wore masks, this went on consistently throughout September, Oct, Nov, Dec & January. We are just fine and healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting