Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 795 times

Advertisements

While I do understand that some people trash their patios, what's the point of having one if you can't use it? you can have a patio table and chair set, that usually comes with an umbrella, yet the umbrella is prohibited on the patio. stupid. so i'm just supposed to be blinded by the sun just to sit on my patio? wtf?

not everybody can afford a house, but god forbid we allow apartments to be utilized like an actual house. Why should I be charged extra for an amenity with restricted use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
huge liability with umbrellas, which can EASILY be picked up by wind and cause serious damage to property or people.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:50 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metiche76 View Post
While I do understand that some people trash their patios, what's the point of having one if you can't use it? you can have a patio table and chair set, that usually comes with an umbrella, yet the umbrella is prohibited on the patio. stupid. so i'm just supposed to be blinded by the sun just to sit on my patio? wtf?

not everybody can afford a house, but god forbid we allow apartments to be utilized like an actual house. Why should I be charged extra for an amenity with restricted use?
What many people want from a patio is sunlight. If you don't like the patio with that apartment don't rent it! Pick one with a patio that isn't in full sun when you are most likely to sit out on it.

FWIW, an umbrella isn't the only way to create shade.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/waterside...aptains-chair/

https://www.coolaroousa.com/category...cy-shade-sails

There's also this thing called a hat.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:44 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Why should I be charged extra for an amenity with restricted use?

Uh, because you signed the lease agreeing to it.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Lol! Everything in the lease is a Maze of restrictions and concessions .

Good thing each state has guidelines and regulations for tenants and what terms on a lease are outright illegal./unenforceable.

My condo fought with us tenants on 'air drying ' laundry. To them it was an eye sore. Finally made a resolution that a dedicated area for air drying item could be accommodated. The funny thing was, our town praised the condo management for encouraging 'going green' in the use of air drying laundry. Now all of a sudden they act like they came up with this service! We had to fight them to 'go green' so to speak.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Would there be that much issue with you using an umbrella while you're out there, and taking it in when you're not?

Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Lol! Everything in the lease is a Maze of restrictions and concessions .

Good thing each state has guidelines and regulations for tenants and what terms on a lease are outright illegal./unenforceable.

My condo fought with us tenants on 'air drying ' laundry. To them it was an eye sore. Finally made a resolution that a dedicated area for air drying item could be accommodated. The funny thing was, our town praised the condo management for encouraging 'going green' in the use of air drying laundry. Now all of a sudden they act like they came up with this service! We had to fight them to 'go green' so to speak.

Going green? Do you actually wash you clothes on a washboard?

Old 03-05-2021, 11:00 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
huge liability with umbrellas, which can EASILY be picked up by wind and cause serious damage to property or people.
Exactly! (couldn't rep. you again)

Old 03-05-2021, 11:12 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
....... but god forbid we allow apartments to be utilized like an actual house. .......

An apartment is not an actual house. That is why you can't use your apartment like an actual house.

If you want to treat your living space like an actual house, get yourself an actual house instead of an apartment.

I've driven by apartment buildings that don't have restrictions on the balconies and they all look like welfare dumps. They look like housing for meth addicts.

Housing providers tend to work hard to keep their rentals looking like nice people might want to live there. So they have restrictions on what can go on the patio, what can go on the lawns, what you can do in the parking lot, what signs you can put up, what you can use for window coverings.

But, if you want no restrictions on what you can put on your patio, move to a building that has no restrictions. What's that? You don't want to live in a building that looks like it houses meth addicts and criminals? For all you know, all those trashy looking tenants are nice people. Don't judge by their patio furniture or laundry hanging off the deck.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:06 PM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Quote:

Dont think you are charged extra for a patio. Most likely it is not an option. They all have it.

You should always read your lease. Anything you dont like find another place.

But anyway I can see where a person could think it was a stupid restriction. It is just an umbrellas.

But the LL has a reason. They have had problems with them caused by your fellow tenants. They have had insurance claims for damages. Caused by fellow tenants not having them anchored or leaving up in high winds.
And found overall tenants would prefer not to have umbrella's. Compared to having a large rent increase to cover insurance cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting