Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,958 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about renting an apartment. I've called a few complexes to get prices, ect. No one can tell me the average cost of the utilities for a specific apartment. For most complexes the tennant is responsible for only electricity. I tried calling the local electric company and was told the apartment management would need to give me that info.

So is this normal behavior, for the apartment management to not know the average cost of utilites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 01:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
They may not want to give out generic information because it's very much tenant use specific. Two identical units could have one tenant that basically is stingy with electricity use while the other is an energy hog. Two identical units with radical electrical use swings.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:04 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harr111957 View Post
I'm thinking about renting an apartment. I've called a few complexes to get prices, ect. No one can tell me the average cost of the utilities for a specific apartment. For most complexes the tennant is responsible for only electricity. I tried calling the local electric company and was told the apartment management would need to give me that info.

So is this normal behavior, for the apartment management to not know the average cost of utilites?
Some of them (like mine) are starting to charge residents for the outdoor electricity (I forget the name they use), like parking lot lights.

I pay two electric charges - one from my own electric bill and the other which is usually a small fee for the other (the outdoor stuff).

So yes, this is normal. Bills will vary greatly by tenant. I would ask if they charge any electric for common ground stuff.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:03 PM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Yes normal.

Each tenant is different. Just like with AC. I have some that keep the temp on 80 other will set at 65 degrees.

If LL said the average was lower. Then tenant will come back and change the conversation to say you guaranteed me it would be low.

If LL said it is to high. Then a new tenant may look elsewhere where a LL tells them it is lower.

So they maybe able to make a guess. But it is a guess based on what tenants tell them. And will still will only cause problems if they mention it.

Drive thru the complex. Find some one outside, Ask how they like it and what their electric bill is.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harr111957 View Post

Your utilities are based on usage... how are they going to know how much electric, water or gas you’re going to use?

The landlord won’t know unless they pay the bill and even then it’s only a guess...again, it’s based on usage.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Look at your current electric bill and see what you KW usage is. Call the new company, ask for their rates and multiple, then add in their fixed charges and you'll get an estimate for possible costs.

I've owned one rental where one tenant used $60 a month and the next used $250 a month. Then I moved into the house and used between $75 and $120 each month.

Your electric is on a meter, you pay for what you use. Just how is a landlord who doesn't know you supposed to guess how much electricity you use?

Old 03-17-2021, 08:14 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,497,585 times
~$60 for us.
2+2 condo, well insulated, top floor, corner unit. Retired, 2-70 yo people. All electric. We only use the Cadet heaters when it's really cold for and only for short periods. We throw on a house robe or flannels when we feel cold. We are mostly at home. We have a lot of electronics that on standby. No AC. PugetSoundEnergy.

Last edited by leastprime; 03-17-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 08:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
You could also post a question in the forum for the city or area it's in and ask people what their bills are like. PG & E here in CA keeps raising rates. Some cities in CA, though, have their own public utility districts and they're cheaper.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:24 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,066 times
OP, where are you located? I'm in the southeast. I paid around $60 for electricity in the summer, and $90 in the winter.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:16 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Big thing is find the actual servicer or provider of the utilities and get prices based on kilowatt hour or cubic feet of gas. Cable tv and landline are pretty straight forward although high.

The more electric appliances the higher the electric bill. Central AC might reduce the cost of over working window units in an apartment. Also see if the windows are energy efficient. Same for electric baseboard heat compared to radiators or forced hot air.

It comes down to personal use and temperature preferences. The warmer or cooler you can keep it the lower the bill in season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting