Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:45 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

I have an annoying situation, when I submit maintenance requests I explicitly tell mention that I DO NOT want anyone coming into my apartment without me being there so they need to tell me when they are coming and I will be home to let them in.

I also have dust allergies and do not wear any footwear in my home and these maintenance crew come with their filthy shoes and what not into my apartment all over my carpet and floors and worse into my bathroom and step on my bath mat etc. degusting which is why I have to prep before they come by removing all that and then vacuum afterwards.

Also, I have a lot of valuables laying around, computer equipment, tablets, laptops, cash all sorts of stuff that can simply be lifted and it would take me a while to even figure out it was stolen and yes, absolutely I believe people opportunistically steal stuff.

However, each time they simply do not respect my wishes to not enter. They send maintenance crews whenever with keys and come in. In the past they have left notes saying they fixed something and obviously came in without my permission. Even worse today someone came for pest control and that is outsourced to a 3rd party I believe so they just take the keys from management and came in when I was out briefly without any notice.

The maintenance form clearly has a field that says "Permission to enter" to which I reply "NO", yet it's simply ignored.

In my prior apartment the landlord always gave me notice and always made sure they came when I was around.

What are my rights in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
The landlord needs to give you 24 hrs advance notice of entry that is not requested by you. But you are being unreasonable. I don't think that you can expect more than asking what day they expect to enter.

I suggest that you don't leave cash lying around.

Perhaps you would be happier in a condo that you own, rather than a rental, so that you could have more control over who enters your home, and when.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The landlord needs to give you 24 hrs advance notice of entry that is not requested by you.
If you read my post I specifically mentioned that I did not grant permission to enter.

And no, you are being ridiculous by thinking that it is unreasonable to have cash and other valuable in my own place of residence. It's amazing and laughable the ridiculous responses you get on this site, but thanks for your input anyways. I am guessing you are a "landlord", well good for you... not exactly the type I was looking for feedback from.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
Switch out the dead bolt for your own. Let them explain what they were doing trying to unlawfully enter if they complain. Switch it back just before you want to let them key in. And get some of those tyvek over booties for your 'guests'

Old 03-29-2021, 08:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's not your building. The landlord does not need your permission to enter his property.

If it is a non-emergency, the landlord should give you a 24 hour notice. After giving notice, he doesn't need your permission to enter. If it is an emergency situation, the landlord can enter without giving you advanced notice.

Perhaps you need to own your own house or condo so that you have more control over who enters. But even when you own, there are people who can legally enter your home without your permission.

If you make it too difficult for the landlord to do the maintenance on his building, you risk being asked to leave.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:21 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
It would be a good idea to get a small safe and stash your valuables in it when you are not home and are scheduled for a repair. I think its terrible that your requests are not being honored but it doesn’t seem this will change. Perhaps look to rent from a private landlord in a condo building; you’ll have a lot more control.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not your building. The landlord does not need your permission to enter his property.
oh yet another landlord here who has the misguided notion that tenants do not have privacy rights... just because you own the building does not mean you can enter without a reason. Not only does it require notification there has to be a reason - maintenance, emergency etc. What do you think - you can just barge in because you feel like hanging out in the tenants space?

Of course the landlord requires permission and a reason to enter, you are sorely mistaken. Read up on tenant rights.

If you want to barge in on people's private space anytime you feel like it then don't rent your property out, just own it and you will be free to do what you want.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 PM

17,359 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
oh yet another landlord here who has the misguided notion that tenants do not have privacy rights... just because you own the building does not mean you can enter without a reason. Not only does it require notification there has to be a reason - maintenance, emergency etc. What do you think - you can just barge in because you feel like hanging out in the tenants space?

Of course the landlord requires permission and a reason to enter, you are sorely mistaken. Read up on tenant rights.

If you want to barge in on people's private space anytime you feel like it then don't rent your property out, just own it and you will be free to do what you want.
What state are you in?

In the majority of states (if not all) a landlord simply has to provide reasonable notice to enter - 24 to 48 hours.

They do not have to have your permission to enter - they simply have to give you notice. And if it's an emergency - they do not have to give you any notice at all.

Just because you don't like the responses you're getting here, doesn't mean they're not correct.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:12 PM

I don't think you read my response. I did not dispute that a landlord cannot enter with proper notice. In this case no notice was given and no permission was given from the renter.

Renter reported an issue, landlord should have given notice to renter that they will enter on xx/xx to fix said issue. Renter did not give permission to landlord on the self service form. There was no emergency. So landlord cannot enter without notice.

Per the law, written notice has to be given to the renter advising that they will be entering OR renter has to advise landlord to enter.

Landlord entering without permission is in a narrow set of cases where there is a true emergency (water leaks, smoke etc) .. these are well defined and not subject to wide interpretation.

https://rentprep.com/landlord-tips/u...-enter-rental/

There are certain landlord behaviors that tenants (and the law) consider invasive, which includes but is not limited to:

Too-frequent inspections
Impromptu visits
Visits without proper notice in writing
Written notices that don’t specify time or date
Entering without tenant permission
Allowing others, such as service technicians, enter unaccompanied
Conducting inspections and other work outside of reasonable hours
Using entry to harass a tenant
Landlords who violate a tenant’s right to privacy must answer to law enforcement and may even face trespassing charges or a trip to small claims court for violating notice rights and so forth. Both landlords and tenants should become very familiar with their state’s laws that detail a tenant’s right to privacy as well as the requirements for landlords to enter an occupied rental property.

There are very few situations that the law considers a real emergency, so landlords should be very careful when entering a rental property using this justification.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 PM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I don't think you read my response. I did not dispute that a landlord cannot enter with proper notice. In this case no notice was given and no permission was given from the renter.

Per the law, written notice has to be given to the renter advising that they will be entering OR renter has to advise landlord to enter.

Landlord entering without permission is in a narrow set of cases where there is a true emergency (water leaks, smoke etc) .. these are well defined and not subject to wide interpretation.

https://rentprep.com/landlord-tips/u...-enter-rental/

There are certain landlord behaviors that tenants (and the law) consider invasive, which includes but is not limited to:

Too-frequent inspections
Impromptu visits
Visits without proper notice in writing
Written notices that don’t specify time or date
Entering without tenant permission
Allowing others, such as service technicians, enter unaccompanied
Conducting inspections and other work outside of reasonable hours
Using entry to harass a tenant
Landlords who violate a tenant’s right to privacy must answer to law enforcement and may even face trespassing charges or a trip to small claims court for violating notice rights and so forth. Both landlords and tenants should become very familiar with their state’s laws that detail a tenant’s right to privacy as well as the requirements for landlords to enter an occupied rental property.

There are very few situations that the law considers a real emergency, so landlords should be very careful when entering a rental property using this justification.

Yep my Ex landlord back in the 90s broke these rules big time if i only knew back then ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting