Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 09:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times

Advertisements

I notice some ads for a room for rent ask you to submit to a background check. Don’t I have to give the person renting the room my social security number in order for them to run a background check on me ? How do I know they won’t steal my social and ruin my life ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Don’t I have to give the person renting the room my social security number in order for them to run a background check on me ?
Probably. Though you can ask them to run it without your social security number.

Quote:
How do I know they won’t steal my social and ruin my life ?
Well, you don't. But I suppose you can ask for their social security numbers and run a background check on them.

Keep in mind, you'll be living in their home. You'll know where they live and you'll accumulate lots of information on them while you live there. I think it's unlikely that a homeowner would engage in identify theft.

Just make sure you aren't renting from somebody who doesn't own the house. Easy to check.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:25 AM

Also , how do I know they won’t try to physically hurt me while living there ?

Old 04-14-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Probably. Though you can ask them to run it without your social security number.

Well, you don't. But I suppose you can ask for their social security numbers and run a background check on them.

Keep in mind, you'll be living in their home. You'll know where they live and you'll accumulate lots of information on them while you live there. I think it's unlikely that a homeowner would engage in identify theft.

Just make sure you aren't renting from somebody who doesn't own the house. Easy to check.
How do I check to see if the person I’m renting from owns that home ?

Old 04-14-2021, 06:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
How do I check to see if the person I’m renting from owns that home ?
Go to the property appraisor's website for the town/city. Presuming there's a search feature, just plug in the address. These days it's rare for property ownership records to be unavailable online, but if they're not, you would have to ask for the record ... which would have to be provided to you because this type of information is open to the public.

Court records are also public, and if the locale has them online you can do a search for the homeowner's name. A variety of documents will come up like the recording of the deed for that property, any civil matters the homeowner has been involved in, etc..

Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 AM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Also , how do I know they won’t try to physically hurt me while living there ?
Ask the local police for a copy of any reports of violence or physical assault at the address in question. They might redact the names but you'll have a good idea if you'd be safe or not.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:46 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Tell them you will do an online, " mysmartmove" app. It doesnt give your social security number to landlord.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone ! Will keep this info in mind

Old 04-15-2021, 09:15 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Of course, part of the concern is-- how careful will they be with your social security number and other personal information, to make sure *others* can't steal it? (I was flabbergasted once at a summer job when I noticed that they would take job applications-- they were hiring at the time-- and stick them in a wall pocket right next to the cash register... and just keep them there. Anyone could have grabbed them. Any of the other employees could have read them and mined information. They maybe {likely?} never would have known if any were missing. It made me realize that every time I gave info like social security number to someone, I had no idea how well they were going to secure it... whether they might just leave it lying around, dispose of it in an open trash bin, etc.)

Old 04-26-2021, 08:55 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
The best way to avoid all your concerns is to NOT move into a situation you do not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting