Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 PM

39 posts, read 82,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Old thread but this makes me laugh. I'm 100% positive that if you did what you say, you'd soon after be saying the same thing other landlords are saying.

It's not heartless....It's reality and obviously, you and others have no real idea what that is.
Actually I have 2 evictions 1 is nearly 7 years old. I was very young and irresponsible at the time. The 2nd one came when I had a wishy washy landlord that couldn't make up her mind if she wanted me to stay or leave. I could have and in hind sight should have packed up and moved out to avoid dealing with that crazy ***** any further (which I was trying to do) but finding a new place was not working out for me. I looked at several places only to discover I could not afford them so after the court sided with the landlord the judge said I would get a letter in the mail and I would have 24 hours to vacate from the date I received that letter. I took my belongings and put them in storage and lived in a motel for 2 months until I finally found a place I could afford with a landlord that was willing to take a chance on me. I was evicted in Dec. 2011 I found this place in march 2012. unfortunately that landlord sold the place (just like the place before and the new owner was not so great in either case.) The current property manager wants me to move out. She did not state a reason and I'm pretty sure she does not have to as my lease is expiring and she can terminate with or with out cause with 30 days notice. The good thing about this property manager is she did me a favor. She gave me more than 30 days notice. It was more like 35 days notice and it was just enough time for me to find another place and I am now in the process of packing my belongings, tomorrow I will have my belongings removed from the premises, I will clean the apartment and turn in the keys by the 31st which is the date my lease expires. I have paid my rent on time here most of the time. I was late 2 times ( that's 2 times too many to be honest) and now with the new landlord I intend to pay on time every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 AM

32,559 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Be real... are you serious . ..........to non chalantly suggest selling whatever you possess and live in your car or assume a shelter is even open isn't the way to go.
And if the person digs in and refuses to move until the sheriff tosses his belongings into the street, does he get to move into a lavish palace that is free rent with utilities included?

No he doesn't. He gets to move to the shelter, or live in his car, only now he also has an eviction on his record and his belongings are in the street with the scavengers grabbing and taking whatever they can get their hands on. He's maybe been able to hang onto the apartment for a free 30 days and in exchange, he has ruined his future ability to rent a new place and has lost control over what happens to his stuff.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
Its all about the money people don't care about people.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
Default Holy Hell People are Mean and Nasty

Ive been both myself and landlord and a tenant. We had 2 houses but fell on hard times and lost both jobs and both houses. We rented one to peoeple for more than 4 years and gave people a change who needed it and never regretted it.

No we are on hard times getting better and trying to rent - we you heartless Landlords are just pissy fee grabbing jerks with no humanity. When my situation improves and we are able to get back into real estate again - people will once again be able to count on us for assistance because we definately are the rare breed and not the greedy breed. Congrats for showing your true money grubbing colors and no compassion for anything but you pocket book.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-12-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murron View Post
Ive been both myself and landlord and a tenant. We had 2 houses but fell on hard times and lost both jobs and both houses. We rented one to peoeple for more than 4 years and gave people a change who needed it and never regretted it.

No we are on hard times getting better and trying to rent - we you heartless Landlords are just pissy fee grabbing jerks with no humanity. When my situation improves and we are able to get back into real estate again - people will once again be able to count on us for assistance because we definately are the rare breed and not the greedy breed. Congrats for showing your true money grubbing colors and no compassion for anything but you pocket book.
I hope you do get back on your feet and can provide housing to those tenants that can't find rentals....just be sure to post your stories here....it will be an emotional, financial and physical roller coaster I'm sure.

Just be sure to buy homes that you can afford without the aid of a tenant. Too many landlords mortgage themselves to the hilt thinking "My tenant is paying my mortgage!!" If only it was that easy...if you're relying on a tenant to pay your mortgage, you bought a house you can't afford.

Also start an emergency fund...your goal should be 24 mths of complete expenses....dont' get caught 'on hard times' again.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-12-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murron View Post
Ive been both myself and landlord and a tenant. We had 2 houses but fell on hard times and lost both jobs and both houses.
I empathize. Life deals challenging, unexpected and devastating blows, recovery can often seem hopeless but just keep reminding yourself that, "this too shall pass". Good luck!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 AM

9,895 posts, read 9,538,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
People get sometimes into clinical depression (after losing job) without knowing themselves, they slowly get increasingly passive and anxious, they let it go downhill, fall behind payments, get evicted. Then, sooner or later, get job back , steady source of income etc. but doomed to live with roomates, in motels or buying houses, possibly only paying cash.

Life is more complex than typical conservative viewpoint: "irresponsible", "knew what he or she was doing" etc.
You have a sympathetic ear for people who have fallen on hard times. however, the landlord also has bills to pay and mortgage and upkeep, maintenance staff, supplies, utilities, etc. for the apartment building, and he depends on the renters to pay the rent or he is up a creek, and he might even lose his building, or he may not have enough money for his basic needs, so the person with the hardship is now dragging the landlord down.

if a person falls on hard times, they need social service agencies to help, not landlords job to support the person who loses their job, suppose the person loses their job for a year or two, now how is the landlord going to make up the lost income?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,112 times
i sure hope anyone of you never gets sick, looses you job, unexpected death in the family, get in a sever auto accident or any unexpected hardships!
no compassion!

Old 10-04-2014, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,112 times
excuse my typos!!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,439 times
I hope none of you are ever in a situation that you have no choice or be homeless! Heartless people. If you don't care about second chances look over your own lives on the outside of eviction and see how many second chances you have gotten.
Maybe someone could have been in a situation and doesn't mean that's thier character really in this economy you would suggest nothing like this would happen.
JUST BE HOMELESS IF YOU HAVE HAD A PAST ISSUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting