Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 10:46 AM

33 posts, read 26,240 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've recently moved into a new place and live next to my landlady, who is a lovely, decent woman. I'm looking for an automated way to pay my rent everything month so I don't even have to think about it. It's up to me because she's not very tech savvy.

My previous landlord was a corporate giant that did ACH, but all I did was hand over a voided check, sign a form, and they did the rest. In my current situation, I wouldn't even know how to set that up, let alone my landlady. Is there some kind of convenient option/service that would allow me to automate my rent payments safely?* Ideally, I'd like something that doesn't charge my landlady anything, or a lot, or delay her money by too long.

I've done some online searching, but have yet to hit the bullseye.* Thanks so much for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 11:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Online billpay through your bank has this option.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:09 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Online billpay through your bank has this option.
Seems like that might be overkill, since the bank will undoubtedly MAIL a check to the landlady living next door.

Just write a check and walk over and give it to her.

If thats too hard, not sure I can help you.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:13 AM

33 posts, read 26,240 times
It's not about it being HARD - it's that life gets busy with travel, work, and daily family issues; and my landlady travels too. Hence, my original question about automating the process, so I could have one less thing on my to-do list.

Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Last edited by Marka; 05-15-2021 at 01:18 AM..

Old 05-12-2021, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 7,553 times
I live in a similar situation (including the fact they're on the property and it's easy to deliver it), and have searched for something like this. Haven't found it yet. And, I'd have to set it up myself because they're not tech savvy. To anyone judging myself or the OP, I like things to be convenient, not having to write a check, go knock on their door, make small talk, get the dogs fired up, etc. I just want to pay my rent quickly and on time.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:57 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
PayPal has autopay options. If she has email and opens a PayPal account (super super easy...you or someone could help her do that) she wouldn't need to give her bank account routing info to you directly (functionally, the same idea as the bill pay option on your bank or cc account, just a bit more "private").

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...-subscriptions

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-12-2021 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 12:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Seems like that might be overkill, since the bank will undoubtedly MAIL a check to the landlady living next door.

Yes, but the bank will do it for you so you don’t forget, particularly if you are out of town the first of the month.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:16 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
If you use your bank's bill paying service and they are going to mail her a check, make sure you authorize the payment several days before the due date to allow for snail mail.

Alternatively, there's venmo and zelle.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:00 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

It’s 2021… we now have the technology to avoid snail mailing paper checks. Now it can be done in a matter of seconds via the internet. By the time you walk next door to hand your landlord a paper check I can pay ALL of my bills and balance my accounts.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:36 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,067,711 times
I gave my tenant my account number for a checking account that I used only for rent deposits. It was deposited monthly and I never had to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting