Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 8,008 times

Advertisements

My credit score is over 800, my monthly income is stable and way over 4x any rental I look at, and I've never had any money deducted from previous security deposits because I've always taken care of the properties I've rented. Sound good?

Apparently not. The tradeoff to a "high-quality" renter is that he/she prefers well-maintained places.

I've been asking if the interior walls will be painted prior to new tenancy, if a home in a floodzone ever had any issues with flooding, or if a window screen can be installed/repaired. Realtors tell me that asking questions like these things put me into the undesirable category. Or that by the time they hear back someone else already applied and got the place while I'm waiting for a response.

Apparently, property managers prefer trashy renters who won't ask for any maintenance or take care of the place, knowing they can easily take the security deposit in full knowing the tenant won't complain or fight back, etc. Those folks with weaker credit and fewer assets are easy to take advantage of. People like me have higher expectations about keeping up a place, and can sue if it comes to that.

Realtors are telling me to just apply and pay and not to ask any questions or the owner/manager will just tag me as difficult and move on to someone else. I'm uncomfortable with that, especially since I'm looking at old homes with lead paint, signs of water damage, and other issues. (These are the only small homes in the market--all the newer ones are huge.)

Any suggestions on what to do? Does signaling my creditworthiness/income even help me? (I do via Zillow and usually get no response.) Am I really undesirable for wanting a home to be well-maintained, or just asking if a home in a floodzone was ever flooded?

Btw, I'm in a competitive market (SF/NYC/Boston/DC/Seattle). I know it's different elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 04:52 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Lead paint isn’t a problem unless you eat or lick it.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
You already nitpicking before even renting would turn me off. If you are like this before the lease, I can just imagine the hell you would be as a tenant.

In a hot market, sorry, there are a thousand other people with your credit score and income looking to rent, and they do not ask questions like this and have generally zero care other than is it livable.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
you already nitpicking before even renting would turn me off. If you are like this before the lease, i can just imagine the hell you would be as a tenant.

In a hot market, sorry, there are a thousand other people with your credit score and income looking to rent, and they do not ask questions like this and have generally zero care other than is it livable.
+1.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:34 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
If wanting to know if the place you're about to live might flood on you and ruin your belongings or put you out of your home for a time while it's fixed or leave you cleaning up water damage is "nitpicky," I'll happily be nitpicky...

Old 05-16-2021, 05:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
It's true. If you are dealing with apartment management or property managers of single family homes, nobody wants to hear that stuff.

You may have better luck dealing directly with an owner of a home who keeps it in pristine condition and then you don't have to ask those questions.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:53 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I think you are just making your potential landlords nervous when you ask such detailed questions. It's like you are looking for something to be unhappy about and are trying to get a guarantee that something like minor flooding won't happen. The reality is you can own a home for 10+ years, never have an issue with storm water coming inside and then get hit by a storm that sends storm water under the basement door. It happens. As far as the fresh coat of paint goes, if you are asking for fresh paint and another qualified applicant isn't, the landlord is going to go with the applicant who doesn't require the fresh paint - less work, no hassle.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:55 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If wanting to know if the place you're about to live might flood on you and ruin your belongings or put you out of your home for a time while it's fixed or leave you cleaning up water damage is "nitpicky," I'll happily be nitpicky...
Someone too stupid to use a flood zone map, and to search the Internet if there was any flooding, I do not wat to rent to anyway.

I mean what, take the LL's word for it? Or what does someone expect, the LL say "oh yes, it floods here, be prepared, will you still rent the place?"

But it was not even the flood thing, it was the paint thing, GTFO of here with that, lol.

Last edited by k350; 05-16-2021 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 06:19 PM

862 posts, read 439,209 times
My houses are very well maintained. If you started out complaining like that I’d pass in a heartbeat.

Had one once like that. Wanted to know if I could replace the weatherstripping, could I exchange the new coil top stove for a smooth top, would I be treating the house for bugs prior to move-in and pointed out in a pretty darned updated and spotless house which I took immense pride in a cobweb that was apparently missed.

I passed on him although he was well qualified. Much prefer tenants who appreciate the value and condition of the house and know a great deal when they see it.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

And just how is the landlord supposed to know this? Flood maps are public domain. Look it up yourself. And you should always have renter's insurance. Some landlords even require it. No one is impressed with your 800 score. Anything over 650 is good enough. The landlord is just looking for habitual deadbeats. Income and job stability is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting