Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Long Has Everyone Lived in Their Same Apt?
This is my first year here 4 12.12%
2-4 yeaers 10 30.30%
5-7 years 7 21.21%
8-10 years 3 9.09%
11+ years 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 08:54 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

And how much longer do you plan to live there? What do you like/dislike? Any other comments?

This now marks 9 years for me, so obviously, I love it here...except for the high rent that keeps increasing even though I negotiate every single year. Once or twice though, it wasn't quite as much of an increase as it would have been. We don't get rent control here since my complex is run by a coirporation. I sure never got any breaks during COVID time. COVID or not, if one can't pay, they're still out in the streets.

I'm still staying for who knows how long, but it's scary knowing that the rent will keep going up & up & up. Would love to have a little house, but COL (cost of living) is high here in California & I have no intention of moving to another state...lived here my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 11:57 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
My wife is 40 years here ..me 20

Old 06-06-2021, 02:21 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
I hate literally everything about being a renter - the price increases, the noise, dogs, and mostly the fact that I am paying someone else's mortgage by renting.

The barking doesn't bother me, but I am afraid of them, and many owners don't know how to use a leash, apparently.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The longest stay for my tenants seems to five years. Many stay less than that. Two years might be the most common length of stay. (houses, not apartments)

Although 100% of my tenants have signed their lease renewal for their third year.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:02 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I'm still in my first year at the current place. I intend to move again when my lease is up, before moving back to Hawaii for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:17 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,260 times
I’ve lived in apartments since I started working, so about 30 years. I’ve been in my current apartment for 8 years.

This year, I’m buying a home. I just put a contract down on a townhome and will be moving early next year once it’s built.

For what it’s worth, I love renting. With fixed expenditures and no maintenance, I have a lot of freedom to do what I want. I’ve come to the point where I’m tired of the loud stomping above my head, the smell of weed all the time, carrying my groceries from the car to my apartment and the feeling I’m being watched every time I walk through the parking lot to my car and back. That may just be my paranoia though.

Also, I just think I never felt settled anywhere until now. I had no problem packing up and moving somewhere else whenever I got bored and felt the urge. Now, I’m almost shy of 50 y/o, and after next year I don’t want to move ever again if I can help it. Plus, I like the area where I am now so I’m not going anywhere.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I’ve lived in apartments since I started working, so about 30 years. I’ve been in my current apartment for 8 years.

This year, I’m buying a home. I just put a contract down on a townhome and will be moving early next year once it’s built.

For what it’s worth, I love renting. With fixed expenditures and no maintenance, I have a lot of freedom to do what I want. I’ve come to the point where I’m tired of the loud stomping above my head, the smell of weed all the time, carrying my groceries from the car to my apartment and the feeling I’m being watched every time I walk through the parking lot to my car and back. That may just be my paranoia though.

Also, I just think I never felt settled anywhere until now. I had no problem packing up and moving somewhere else whenever I got bored and felt the urge. Now, I’m almost shy of 50 y/o, and after next year I don’t want to move ever again if I can help it. Plus, I like the area where I am now so I’m not going anywhere.
Congrats on your home! I totally agree with what you said - I had forgotten to mention the weed smell and carrying groceries to my apartment. I detest the smell of weed. I can't say I have ever felt "watched", though. But that doesn't mean that you aren't...

Old 06-06-2021, 11:18 PM

388 posts, read 307,395 times
I hate moving, so I prefer to stay in one place as long as I can. We're good tenants and landlords always seem to want us to stay, so it works out well. We rent a single-family house right now and don't plan to move until/unless we've saved enough to buy some land a build a house. Our business is growing enough that I hope that will be possible in the next five years. The only reason we moved here was because our previous building was sold and the new owners allowed pets. A barking dog all day, every day above us and a property manager who wasn't willing to do anything about it caused us to get out of there as quickly as we could.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:51 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
5 years this coming August 1.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:07 AM

111 posts, read 73,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I hate literally everything about being a renter - the price increases, the noise, dogs, and mostly the fact that I am paying someone else's mortgage by renting.

The barking doesn't bother me, but I am afraid of them, and many owners don't know how to use a leash, apparently.
Yep! I feel being a renter is about as 3rd class citizen as one can get. It just SUCKS, in every way imaginable. I hate living in a place, at the mercy of the slumlord who controls when, or IF they want to repair critical things around the house. I hate that I am lining the slumlords pockets with $$, and the fact that there is literally zero benefit to being a renter, aside from the fact you can up and leave whenever the lease is up, which is probably the only benefit. Most of all, I detest being told how to live my life. The landlord can control just about everything. I was reading a story the other day involving roommates. These guys were over 21, and the landlord straight up said "no alcohol on property", and all the roommates had to abide by this silly rule. Or the one where the landlord dictates whether or not guests can come over, and for how long. Imagine that! You are wanting your parents over for dinner, or have friends over to watch a movie, but first the landlord needs to sign off on his approval. How odd we live in a world where this is going on. What is even sadder, is the landlords, right here on this forum, that will reply to my comment defending these actions. They will say things like, "if you don't like it, buy your own place", or" it's my house, my rules". The lack of common sense renter rights is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting