Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 PM

91 posts, read 425,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I agree with this. From your post, it sounds like you told him to just fix the things he complained about but I'm not seeing any direction for him on you needing to see the quote. Was there information in the lease that indicated no repairs or replacements could be made by the tenant? And you asked him to sell the w/d and give you the money? And pay more rent? I'm very confused by that. It sounds like you were extremely hands-off as a landlord and you gave vague instructions for the work the tenant had to do himself. And am I reading it right- you wanted to rent to him for 10,000/month, which was double the rent (did you mean mortgage?), but agreed to just 1000 over which was $6000?

This sounds like a nightmare on both sides. Did you have anyone checking in on the house regularly while he was renting? Yearly or bi-yearly checks, for example? Or did anyone go and check on the issues he said he was having? I don't know what the result of this might be, but I would strongly suggest changing your policies and approach as a landlord.
No, we only raised the rent 200 dollars per month in 4 years. Hew as paying 5k total at that point. We never asked for double the rent.

There is specific part in the lease that states you cannot make alterations to the house without CONSENT FROM THE LANDLORD. We didn't know about these items until the final walk through...

The washer and dryer were fine that were on the property. His wife was having a baby and wanted brand new stuff... and he said he wanted brand new stuff as well. I told him to sell the washer and dryer (give us the money) and he could buy his own.

Before we moved back in, he attempted to stall and not move out by offering 2500k OVER the current price of 5k which would make it 7500k. We didn't want this as we wanted our house back.

I came an checked on the house yearly myself. He made all the changes during the year of the pandemic and didn't notify us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 02:47 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
Hey everyone. (sorry this is a long one) This is our personal home and is very modern. ...

First of all, we had a family move in 4 years ago. I had a neighbor whom is also was a property manager help us since we lived overseas. The first red flag was negotiating the rent. Any tenant that does this. RUN. We agreed to only 1000 dollars over the monthly rent... so 6000. We were asking for double our rent which he didn't like.
Did you mean you were asking for double your MORTGAGE PAYMENT but you let him rent it for $1,000 over your MORTGAGE PAYMENT? So your mortgage payment was $5,000, at least from what you wrote above ... and you wanted rent of $10,000/month. (Where on earth is your house?!)

Quote:
No, we only raised the rent 200 dollars per month in 4 years. Hew as paying 5k total at that point. We never asked for double the rent.
I'm confused, in your first post you said he was paying $6,000 a month. Now it's $5,000 ... which is what you implied your mortgage payment was.

And I don't understand how your PROPERTY MANAGER, who was your neighbor, didn't check on things more frequently for you?

Honestly, I'd just tell the former tenant you're calling it a wash. Forget the damages and he should forget the bills that he is now presenting you with.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:46 PM

Sorry, I meant 5k.... my bad.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Did you mean you were asking for double your MORTGAGE PAYMENT but you let him rent it for $1,000 over your MORTGAGE PAYMENT? So your mortgage payment was $5,000, at least from what you wrote above ... and you wanted rent of $10,000/month. (Where on earth is your house?!)

I'm confused, in your first post you said he was paying $6,000 a month. Now it's $5,000 ... which is what you implied your mortgage payment was.

And I don't understand how your PROPERTY MANAGER, who was your neighbor, didn't check on things more frequently for you?

Honestly, I'd just tell the former tenant you're calling it a wash. Forget the damages and he should forget the bills that he is now presenting you with.
Ahh sorry sorry... no we only got a 6k deposit. We asked for double the rent (2 months worth)in California as according to law but he kept negotiating the deposit which we thought was a red flag. So if we had got what we wanted, we would have got 9600 at the time. We always gave them leeway with everything which was a huge mistake.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Quote:
Ahh sorry sorry... no we only got a 6k deposit. We asked for double the rent (2 months worth)in California as according to law but he kept negotiating the deposit which we thought was a red flag.
Oh, that makes way more sense than what you initially wrote. That's why several of us were confused about the double the rent comment- you were talking about the amount you wanted for deposit.

Quote:

There is specific part in the lease that states you cannot make alterations to the house without CONSENT FROM THE LANDLORD. We didn't know about these items until the final walk through...

The washer and dryer were fine that were on the property. His wife was having a baby and wanted brand new stuff... and he said he wanted brand new stuff as well. I told him to sell the washer and dryer (give us the money) and he could buy his own.

Before we moved back in, he attempted to stall and not move out by offering 2500k OVER the current price of 5k which would make it 7500k. We didn't want this as we wanted our house back.

I came an checked on the house yearly myself. He made all the changes during the year of the pandemic and didn't notify us.
It sounds like he was very busy in the last year. You said he got rid of the old washer/dryer- did he sell it and give you the money as you requested? Based on what you posted, I would assume the new stuff he bought really was his to keep.

I still think you have sent him some conflicting messages by telling him to fix some things himself and I can see why he may have extended that further with some of his home "improvements." I think I've read too many conflicting things in this thread to have a good sense of what should happen next. If he takes his stuff and leaves the house as it was when he rented it (and in the same condition), then what?

Old 06-18-2021, 08:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
double

Last edited by EngGirl; 06-18-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Maybe I am missing something but I see horrible landlord who did poor job running the place (coordinating things, taking care of issues and just expected tenants to take care of issues they way landlord envisioned without any explanations) and relied on tenants to take care of everything and at the end acted surprised why things were done one way and not another. How about doing your job yourself next time? I am missing what neighbor has to do with all this story? Was he helping managing the property or not?

Landlord should of take care of all and any issues - hire someone to come and take a look, do repairs or replacements, not just assume tenants will do so with the intent to save you money. As a tenant I would also send landlord a bill for my time dealing with all this crap - looking for someone to come - stay home waiting for them to show up and so on. My time cost money.

Talking as landlord myself as well as tenant myself.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:28 AM

When we offered to look for people and book them... he said it was ok and that he was fine doing it. Of course, this were the things we were aware of... since then, we figured out he used "friends" for the home improvements he wanted without our consent. Remember, he was under obligation to at least NOTIFY us of anything being broken which he did not. Not sure why. That is what bit him in the a$$ later. As I stated before, he could have put in a whole new kitchen without our knowledge and then what? We want the money for he home improvements WE wanted and without asking for your consent.

There is a specific clause in our lease agreement that states you need to notify the owner of changes or alterations of any kind to the property. Also on the worse side, he never notified us of plumbing issues or things that broke. He sort of picked and chose and random. Odd. Now we have black mold under our sink from a leak that went on for months. I asked him why there was a bowl full of disgusting water under the sink and he said it was a leak. Same on the roof for the solar... he pointed it out to me during the walk through... he said he knew about it for months. Why not tell us?

It was odd. All of it.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Oh, that makes way more sense than what you initially wrote. That's why several of us were confused about the double the rent comment- you were talking about the amount you wanted for deposit.

It sounds like he was very busy in the last year. You said he got rid of the old washer/dryer- did he sell it and give you the money as you requested? Based on what you posted, I would assume the new stuff he bought really was his to keep.

I still think you have sent him some conflicting messages by telling him to fix some things himself and I can see why he may have extended that further with some of his home "improvements." I think I've read too many conflicting things in this thread to have a good sense of what should happen next. If he takes his stuff and leaves the house as it was when he rented it (and in the same condition), then what?
No, he didn't give us the money for the perfectly good washer and dryer that he got rid of... we don't know what happened to it.

The house was nowhere NEAR the condition we left it when he moved in. We have before pics....

I'm sorry but you don't buy a dishwasher and garage door opener and keep it when you move out? Our lease even states that once something is installed into a home, it become the owners property. He failed to notify us or even give us quotes for the items he installed. Not cool.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
We still don’t know where the neighbor property manager was in all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting