Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:03 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

I don't like the smart thermostats because some of them have to be set hour by hour. Perhaps you are setting the thermostat one time for 75 degrees, not realizing that the thermostat is factory set for 88 degrees and you haven't changed the setting for the later time so it is switching to the factory pre-set.

Just so you can expect it, if I had a tenant call for a service repair man just to reset their thermostat for them, I would bill the tenant for the service call. A service call for an HVAC technician is going to be well over $100, even if all he does is to adjust the thermostat.

My suggestion is that you go online and read the instructions for your thermostat, just to verify that you have it set correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 09:28 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Did you move into the government supported low income housing project you described in your earlier posts? Is your landlord the government or a private entity?

"Hi Gus. So, let me try to clarify. The new complex (A). is based on Low income housing tax credit. (more specifically workforce housing). I make too much to get the credit, so if I move I will be charged a market rate rent. Since this place is backed by the gov. utilities, are included with the exception of electricity. They will do the normal rent increases but it is not like the typical private owned apt. Also, if my income falls, then I can get a readjustment.

I currently live in apartment B. Apt. B. has the utilities included but is owned and managed by a private landlord which means: they can hike the rent up how much they want, they can also stop including utilities at any point. Apartment B. cannot just stop covering utilities right now as I am still in a lease, however at the next renewal, they could do that."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...l#post60495202

Old 06-29-2021, 11:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Did you move into the government supported low income housing project you described in your earlier posts? Is your landlord the government or a private entity?

"Hi Gus. So, let me try to clarify. The new complex (A). is based on Low income housing tax credit. (more specifically workforce housing). I make too much to get the credit, so if I move I will be charged a market rate rent. Since this place is backed by the gov. utilities, are included with the exception of electricity. They will do the normal rent increases but it is not like the typical private owned apt. Also, if my income falls, then I can get a readjustment.

I currently live in apartment B. Apt. B. has the utilities included but is owned and managed by a private landlord which means: they can hike the rent up how much they want, they can also stop including utilities at any point. Apartment B. cannot just stop covering utilities right now as I am still in a lease, however at the next renewal, they could do that."

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...l#post60495202
IIRC, the OP was moving into a mixed development. They often have market rate and subsidized units. The market rate units are just like any regular apartment. There may be some issues about how the subsidized units have their utilities billed.. and perhaps there is some thermostat setting that was applied to all units in installation for energy saving that should not be applicable to the market rate folks.

Either way, she needs to make herself available so that maintenance can come in. If she is paying her own electric bill, she should be able to set the thermostat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting