Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 06:30 PM

10,945 posts, read 6,985,426 times

Advertisements

As renters, we understand the arrangement with the landlords and their needs. And we do our best to be good tenants, always paying our bills on time, taking care of the house as if it were our own, and even doing some minor maintenance and repairing low-cost items with our own funds.

However, they can be real jerks. It's like pulling teeth on critical issues, such the refrigerator not maintaining food storage at safe temperatures. We aren't dogs who can eat rotten and spoiled food. And it is an appliance on their property. It's not like we are asking them fix something belonging to us.

People can say what they want, but I know we go above and beyond our role as renters, while they go below their role.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-12-2021 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 06:54 PM

27,227 posts, read 28,302,028 times
I think the dislike towards landlords is part of the general dislike towards people in authority.

How many people actually like their bosses or anybody else who manages them? Let's be honest.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:21 PM

15,240 posts, read 12,807,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the dislike towards landlords is part of the general dislike towards people in authority.

How many people actually like their bosses or anybody else who manages them? Let's be honest.
Oh, I have had managers I liked. Not the last one, though. Talk about spineless.

I haven't rented a house or apt in a very long time but I did rent commercial office space. The landlady was fair. No problems there.

I would be the ideal tenant if I needed to rent a place.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,910,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I often see on social media people hating on landlords and never really understood that. Nobody is stopping someone from buying a home. You either can't afford to buy, don't want to buy or are too lazy to buy, either way the landlord is providing you a home which you have to pay for.

It just seems like such a simple concept and I don't understand the hate. If you're unhappy with your specific landlord then move somewhere else.
Many people have experienced landlords who don't make needed repairs. That can be very frustrating.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,648,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Many people have experienced landlords who don't make needed repairs. That can be very frustrating.
I think most of it revolves around repairs. Things you would normally repair in your own house a landlord is likely to want to avoid or they want to repair it as cheaply as possible. I have had no issue with landlords myself though.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think most of it revolves around repairs. Things you would normally repair in your own house a landlord is likely to want to avoid or they want to repair it as cheaply as possible. I have had no issue with landlords myself though.
My tenant wants me to replace the carpet in one of the rooms by doing flooring.

I told him that is fine because the carpet is worn out. But if the total cost for doing the flooring is more than carpeting then we have to go with carpet. There is no way I’m going to pay more than I have to.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:41 PM

7,663 posts, read 5,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My tenant wants me to replace the carpet in one of the rooms by doing flooring.

I told him that is fine because the carpet is worn out, but if the flooring costs more than carpet then we have to go with carpet. There is no way I’m going to pay more than I have to.
Is this a tenant who has lived there for many years?

Would you consider allowing the tenant to pay the difference in order to get what they would like?

Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 PM

287 posts, read 207,637 times
All my tenants thought I was rich. Not quite.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Is this a tenant who has lived there for many years?

Would you consider allowing the tenant to pay the difference in order to get what they would like?
I am a freshly minted landlord. Never had a tenant before now.

I have no problem with doing that. However, I want to be careful not to encourage the tenants from making additional requests that are simply esthetic and have nothing to do with the functionality of the house.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,569,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
This, and construction. The last place I lived had nonstop construction for the majority of my lease. My patio was nailed shut. We had to pay for parking, which had also increased, but there was nowhere to park near the building because they had put all their construction supplies there. I think they had just raised my rent, so yeah, I was annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting