Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 11:53 AM

18 posts, read 6,341 times

Advertisements

I am not a foreigner but US citizen. But I have been living in Europe for half my life. I am settling in the US with my husband, aiming for the New year. But it seems impossible to rent without rental history, and income. We have a healthy savings and checking account. My husband just finished his PhD in europe (he's an EU citizen)and looking for jobs and so am I. Airbnb are so expensive, we just want to have our own place. I am starting to get discouraged. We do have a qualified guarantor, my brother who has a house and good credit, but that's all. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 12:46 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
A big problem is not having established job income yet. And that's on top of having no rental history in the US. Two fairly major red flags for landlords. While it's certainly a good thing to have assets, landlords want to know what income you'll have going forward so you can pay rent reliably. They can't control what you might do with a savings account or whatever. You could blow it all on something a week or month after you sign a lease. Your job search will take as long as it takes...no guarantees there either.

You might contact realtors in your target area who represent landlords or who also work as property managers. They may know of smaller scale independent clients (not large corporate apartment complexes) with units to rent and who might be more willing to rent to people with financial assets behind them, who can offer to pay an entire lease up front using those assets, or who don't happen to have current US rental histories. Can you provide landlord references from the EU?

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-19-2023 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-19-2023, 01:02 PM

Thank you. We actually have 110k in savings but I feel it's not enough because we have to show income. We are sure we can find jobs but I understand that a landlord needs a guarantee. Thanks again. I told my husband probably best to do airbnb then rent.
About references in the EU. We actually lived in my husband's family home (not his parents but his great aunts. His fatheri nherited the house). I can definitely provide references as I lived by myself in a studio apartment for 2 years before I married my husband.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:24 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
First sort things out please.
Where are you in the visa process for your husband?
What geographic area are you targeting?
How are your job prospects?
Can you move in with family for a while?
There is always the classic expat way of higher rent, several months of deposit or simply paying a year up front.
This may sound crazy - depending on your market get a travel trailer.
110k may sound like a fortune but you will have expenses from medical insurance, vehicles, down payments to simply starting a household. Been there - done that several times.

Old 11-19-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
First sort things out please.
Where are you in the visa process for your husband?
What geographic area are you targeting?
How are your job prospects?
Can you move in with family for a while?
There is always the classic expat way of higher rent, several months of deposit or simply paying a year up front.
This may sound crazy - depending on your market get a travel trailer.
110k may sound like a fortune but you will have expenses from medical insurance, vehicles, down payments to simply starting a household. Been there - done that several times.
We definitely don't feel like 110k is a fortune, especiallyin the states. We lived in much poorer countries than the US. 110k is not much on the US versus where we lived. We do not want to drive, we prefer cycling to work or bus or better yet walk. I know what we want is difficult to get in America but we want to start small, ww understand we won't get all what we want the first few years in America.
We like the state of Maryland and D.C.
My husband is currently on a CR1 Visa.
Thanks for your comment

Old 11-19-2023, 02:01 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
here in nyc which consists of apartment houses and high rises , many management companies require 40x the monthly rent as a gross income .

so 2500 a month rent requires 100k income .

Old 11-19-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here in nyc which consists of apartment houses and high rises , many management companies require 40x the monthly rent as a gross income .

so 2500 a month rent requires 100k income .
That's insane. I would never move to nyc

Old 11-19-2023, 02:09 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by November4L View Post
salaries run higher here to match unless one is unskilled .

plus the boroughs have less rigid requirements then manhattan does .

even i wouldn’t live in manhattan.

we had a house in the Poconos of pa . …we figured out life would run 30% less then queens .

well salaries for what i do were half.

the better deal was here

Old 11-19-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
We definitely don't feel like 110k is a fortune, especiallyin the states. We lived in much poorer countries than the US. 110k is not much on the US versus where we lived. We do not want to drive, we prefer cycling to work or bus or better yet walk. I know what we want is difficult to get in America but we want to start small, ww understand we won't get all what we want the first few years in America.
We like the state of Maryland and D.C.
My husband is currently on a CR1 Visa.
Thanks for your comment
There is no CR1 Visa (it is a petition) - has his Green Card been approved?
It sounds like you will have to wait until his green card has been approved or you will move to the US first. MD/DC are some of the most expensive rental areas in the US.
I walked to work in DC. You may have to adjust your preferences until you are established in the workforce or have other income.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
It is easy to say something on the internet. When it comes to real life things often look different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting