Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

If you are in the apartment any part of the month, you are responsible for the entire months rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You need to see what your states surrender and control laws are .

Here in ny a landlord cannot hold you to a lease while deemed taking back control by taking the apartment away , going in and fixing or painting ,etc …he can’t double dip …..

He could rent it but not allow possession until your lease is up , that is a different issue.

Once a landlord takes control he implied a new deal.

So you may need an attorney to interpret your states operation of law as it applies to leases
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 4,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Yes agree a little shady. But so is what the guy from NY posted. And can still be legal even if shady and unfair.
I agree, that is why I don't consider such options. It is not right. I did try to do right by my landlord though as good as possible, considering the circumstances. Now I am just trying to wrap this up without having to pay extra for whatever else he will come up with next. I am really tired of his little petty games, trying to make a few bucks here and there and I am not having it. If I had not taken pictures on move in, he would have charged me hundreds of dollars for repairs. I forgot to mention that he did not do a walk-though with me when I moved in or moved out, even though I had requested it so we can go over the checklist together. Go figure...

Old 08-11-2021, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 4,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Make an appointment at legal on base. Bring all your paperwork. They will write a letter that will probably take care of the issue if your facts are correct.

Also, next time ask legal for a move out inspection on your behalf. Those inspectors/services aren't just for military housing, they are for off base private rentals too.
That is a good idea. Thank you!

Old 08-11-2021, 04:33 PM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesi View Post
If you are in the apartment any part of the month, you are responsible for the entire months rent.
That is what it is supposed to be . However if you understood anything I posted , it was as easy as pie for my ex wife’s attorney to get her out of being responsible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting