Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 10:22 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to look for the cameras yourself? Private investigators are expensive. I haven't looked, but most likely there are web sites telling where to hide cameras. Just look in those places.

Quote:
....... I had hidden the jewelry in a location where only myself could've known......

Sorry, OP, but there is no clever hiding place in a house that thieves don't know about. They wouldn't have to see you hide your jewelry, they just know where people hide stuff. They are professionals with experience in what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 3,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Put up your own camera pointed at your door with motion detection alerts sent directly to your phone. If anyone enters your place when you aren't home, you'll know and you'll have evidence. It'll be cheaper than hiring someone to sweep your place for cameras.

I live in an apartment and management requires that we provide them with a key (they have to be able to enter the apartment if there's ever a leak or some other emergency). I have an electronic keypad deadbolt with a key that I provided to them. The deadbolt alerts me if anyone enters the apartment by using a key (I use a code on the number pad).

(I wouldn't read too much into the dog limping. That could be something as simple as jumping off the sofa wrong and eventually walking it off)

Thank you Hertfordshire for your Excellent -and non judgemental- advice.
I also believe the idea of an electronic keypad deadbolt which alerts you when the key is being used is very effective.

Last edited by WorriedTenantFL; 09-04-2021 at 11:26 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 11:38 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Yep you can get a motion action camera for about $50.00, a sweeper will probably cost you $500.00 or more.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,707,053 times
I’m not sure what this has to do with having a hidden camera. It’s more likely that someone from the management office or maintenance came in and stole your stuff. I know that’s been a problem at a place I worked at previously, and they immediately fired the worker in question. You are are likely not able to change the lock mechanism, but you may be able to get a wireless video doorbell or at a minimum install a security camera within the entry. I think Ring wireless doorbells are pretty inexpensive- maybe $100 and just a camera is even less than that. It would be well worth it.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:28 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,916,217 times
Re: installing DIY deadbolts, ring doorbells, etc. on a rental property. Get it in writing that your landlord agrees to not charge you for damage or to require you to put the door and key system back to the way you got it. Or expect a portion of your security deposit staying in the LL's pocket.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:48 AM

14,559 posts, read 12,219,609 times
I think you're probably over-estimating the spy technology available to the average peeper here. I can't imagine someone being able to hide a camera in my home that I couldn't find. For your own peace of mind, LOOK for a camera. Are there really unexplained holes in your walls, fixtures, furniture or ceiling where a camera could be hiding?

If you think someone is breaking in to your home... investigate that and make your home more secure. Spending money or time on looking for cameras is probably a waste of resources.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:29 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Re: installing DIY deadbolts, ring doorbells, etc. on a rental property. Get it in writing that your landlord agrees to not charge you for damage or to require you to put the door and key system back to the way you got it. Or expect a portion of your security deposit staying in the LL's pocket.
Beat me to it. OP you may want to install something like this but it is your LL's property. Get permission before you do. They can refuse...and it may not be because they were the ones who stole your stuff.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 3,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you're probably over-estimating the spy technology available to the average peeper here. I can't imagine someone being able to hide a camera in my home that I couldn't find. For your own peace of mind, LOOK for a camera. Are there really unexplained holes in your walls, fixtures, furniture or ceiling where a camera could be hiding?

If you think someone is breaking in to your home... investigate that and make your home more secure. Spending money or time on looking for cameras is probably a waste of resources.

Sorry, but if you believe cameras are going to be left in obvious unexplained holes in your place, at simple view, you're being very naive. And, yes, technology available to the average Joe has advanced -for good or bad- dramatically in the last couple of years.

Below is is an old news link from early 2018 (3.5 years ago) and it was already a concern back then, now it is much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opiKOH6HZDE

Old 09-11-2021, 06:11 PM

828 posts, read 418,816 times
Just call a private detective and ask for a referral and estimated cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting