Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

Why would the Apt mgr/owner be Responsible for a TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 07:56 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya I know it's not related but when buying a appliance or tv do you take those reviews seriously?
I treat reviews the same whether it's a TV or an apartment. Everything good or bad with a grain of salt. Just like my earlier comment about the commenter's expectations, just because someone says "the sound quality is horrible!" I don't automatically assume that I will find it horrible as well. Perhaps that commenter is a real sound geek with high standards, and what he find horrible wouldn't bother me at all.

When reading reviews, I generally disregard the most glowing and the most critical. I pay most attention to the reviews in the middle of the pack. That's generally where I find the information that's going to be relatable to most people. If a review is too glowing, I start to wonder if it's been planted. If it's too critical, I start to think it's someone with an axe to grind. I'd rather hear from the people who can share what's good and what's bad.

But I'm trying to figure out why you needed validation from us? It seems like you already have your mind made up about this apartment. If this place has 190 bad reviews out of 200, do you really need other people to tell you it's not the right place for you?

Old 09-20-2021, 06:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I treat reviews the same whether it's a TV or an apartment. Everything good or bad with a grain of salt. Just like my earlier comment about the commenter's expectations, just because someone says "the sound quality is horrible!" I don't automatically assume that I will find it horrible as well. Perhaps that commenter is a real sound geek with high standards, and what he find horrible wouldn't bother me at all.

When reading reviews, I generally disregard the most glowing and the most critical. I pay most attention to the reviews in the middle of the pack. That's generally where I find the information that's going to be relatable to most people. If a review is too glowing, I start to wonder if it's been planted. If it's too critical, I start to think it's someone with an axe to grind. I'd rather hear from the people who can share what's good and what's bad.

But I'm trying to figure out why you needed validation from us? It seems like you already have your mind made up about this apartment. If this place has 190 bad reviews out of 200, do you really need other people to tell you it's not the right place for you?
Well I know the reviews are bad but I'm in a hurry to get out of my current apt because my lease is soon to be over. I was thinking just because the reviews were bad maybe I would have luck. One person who renteded there said they had no problems

Old 09-20-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Well I know the reviews are bad but I'm in a hurry to get out of my current apt because my lease is soon to be over. I was thinking just because the reviews were bad maybe I would have luck. One person who renteded there said they had no problems
So 190 people said it was bad and one person said it was okay? You may be in a hurry, but that sounds like a hell of a gamble to take. There has to be other options.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
So 190 people said it was bad and one person said it was okay? You may be in a hurry, but that sounds like a hell of a gamble to take. There has to be other options.
ya I am glad I did not rush in. there are about 7 good reviews and 183 bad ones. how does a company like that stay in business for so long? i think property management companies have too much power and they cant be fired unless no one is renting the buildings they manage. maybe they did not get bad until recently with new hires.

I am having problem with mice in my current place. i got unlucky and picked a place where there are holes in the apartment. the management company puts bait down but refuses to seal off holes I am wondering if the board of health would make them seal off holes or because they are putting the bait down its doing their part. i don't see them for 2 months and then they come in again.

that's another thread though I guess. sealing off holes is the number one way to combat mice. i cant use my own exterminator so if their exterminator does not want to do anything I'm stuck unless I leave.

I live in the Boston area and finding a place around here is harder than other places.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why would the Apt mgr/owner be Responsible for a TV?
no the walls are paper thin no matter how low you put your tv people can hear it there. it's so paper thin conversations can be heard from other people talking.

the problem is not the tv its the walls.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Hello i am currently looking to get out of my apartment now as soon as possible. i want a 2nd or 3rd floor .

around this time there are not as many apartments available. I was going to rent a second floor apartment but I read the walls were paper thin and you can hear peoples TVs and neighbors talking. I decided since I talk loud i did not want to take the place. the management company has over 190 bad reviews! it said neighbors were snitching on other neighbors for being loud. there is an acceptable amount of noise during certain hours that must be tolerated. if you have snitch neighbors your life could be a living hell and you could get evicted for reasonable noise.

someone said they take forever to fix something. they say don't bother leaving a voice message its a waste of time. one resident said they were not allowed to have guests over because they were loud. some said they were showing their apartment 6 months before the lease was up. they seemed like they were strict at the same time wont fix something when it needs to be fixed and the board of health had to get involved in several issues.

the person i turned the apartment down from is listing another apartment. this apartment probably does not have paper thin walls like the other one. its hard to find a place and i can not afford now to pay a broker fee and a lot of apartments require a broker fee.

should i consider the new apartment the bad management company is recommending? do you go by reviews online? is 190 bad reviews enough? the company itself has a 1.5 stars. they have been around a long time though. one person that knows that company said they did not have problems with them. then why so many bad reviews?

i might be able to re sign with the place i am at now and give them a 60 day notice of leaving because they said they would agree to that.

should i re sign here and wait till i find a place i like or should i be less picky?

normally i don't go by reviews but 190 bad reviews seems like a lot. being in a situation where something takes forever to get fixed is a huge problem.

thanks on opinions. renting can be hit or miss and you don't want to be stuck in a place that sucks.

This is a silly question because why would anyone moved into an apartment complex with bad reviews?

Old 09-20-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
This is a silly question because why would anyone moved into an apartment complex with bad reviews?
as another poster on here said he takes reviews with a grain of sand however if there are like 183 bad reviews and 7 good ones on google reviews it might tell you to stay away.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
as another poster on here said he takes reviews with a grain of sand however if there are like 183 bad reviews and 7 good ones on google reviews it might tell you to stay away.
Yes, I do take reviews with a grain of salt (not sand), but if the reviews are OVERWHELMINGLY one extreme or the other, that factors in to my decision.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do take reviews with a grain of salt (not sand), but if the reviews are OVERWHELMINGLY one extreme or the other, that factors in to my decision.

what is interesting is there are hardly any reviews for the current management company I deal with now. they recently changed their name. there are hardly any like 2 reviews for the complex I am in.

this management company manages several properties with a lot of apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting