Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 AM

3,559 posts, read 1,637,768 times

Advertisements

Hello i am currently looking to get out of my apartment now as soon as possible. i want a 2nd or 3rd floor .

around this time there are not as many apartments available. I was going to rent a second floor apartment but I read the walls were paper thin and you can hear peoples TVs and neighbors talking. I decided since I talk loud i did not want to take the place. the management company has over 190 bad reviews! it said neighbors were snitching on other neighbors for being loud. there is an acceptable amount of noise during certain hours that must be tolerated. if you have snitch neighbors your life could be a living hell and you could get evicted for reasonable noise.

someone said they take forever to fix something. they say don't bother leaving a voice message its a waste of time. one resident said they were not allowed to have guests over because they were loud. some said they were showing their apartment 6 months before the lease was up. they seemed like they were strict at the same time wont fix something when it needs to be fixed and the board of health had to get involved in several issues.

the person i turned the apartment down from is listing another apartment. this apartment probably does not have paper thin walls like the other one. its hard to find a place and i can not afford now to pay a broker fee and a lot of apartments require a broker fee.

should i consider the new apartment the bad management company is recommending? do you go by reviews online? is 190 bad reviews enough? the company itself has a 1.5 stars. they have been around a long time though. one person that knows that company said they did not have problems with them. then why so many bad reviews?

i might be able to re sign with the place i am at now and give them a 60 day notice of leaving because they said they would agree to that.

should i re sign here and wait till i find a place i like or should i be less picky?

normally i don't go by reviews but 190 bad reviews seems like a lot. being in a situation where something takes forever to get fixed is a huge problem.

thanks on opinions. renting can be hit or miss and you don't want to be stuck in a place that sucks.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 09-19-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM

32,775 posts, read 48,535,399 times
If you are worried about them, rent somewhere else.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:02 PM

16,459 posts, read 12,653,295 times
I generally take all reviews (good or bad) with a grain of salt. Especially bad reviews. Like when someone says "they take forever to fix something," were the reviewer's expectations reasonable? Some people expect immediate response, even for low priority fixes. They don't care that there are other residents with repair needs, some of which are triaged to be a higher priority. The resident who said they couldn't have guests over because they were too loud ... well, were they?

There are three sides to every story, and in reviews you're only seeing one side. So definitely read reviews, but like I said ... grain of salt.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I generally take all reviews (good or bad) with a grain of salt. Especially bad reviews. Like when someone says "they take forever to fix something," were the reviewer's expectations reasonable? Some people expect immediate response, even for low priority fixes. They don't care that there are other residents with repair needs, some of which are triaged to be a higher priority. The resident who said they couldn't have guests over because they were too loud ... well, were they?

There are three sides to every story, and in reviews you're only seeing one side. So definitely read reviews, but like I said ... grain of salt.
They said they had to call the board of health for a heating problem. One person said they took a month to fix something.

Would you take reviews for appliances or tvs more than a property management company?

190 bad ones is alot if there were 10 I could brush it off.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:25 PM

23,614 posts, read 19,408,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
They said they had to call the board of health for a heating problem. One person said they took a month to fix something.

Would you take reviews for appliances or tvs more than a property management company?

190 reviews may not be "a lot". For example, compare the number of reviews to the total number of people who've rented from them. Is it 500? 1000? Were the bad reviews recent or older? Are they trending better or worse over time? Consider the fact that most published reviews are written by the people with the most extreme opinions. The majority of people outweigh the extremes. They don't care enough to write one either way.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 PM

13,941 posts, read 39,464,389 times
How big is the mgr co? The mgr co with my apt complex has tons of apts across the usa, So IF that the case with the one you are looking at 190 is a drop in the bucket. Good to know which complex has thin wall ... can you live with hearing whats going on next door or them hearing you?

Old 09-19-2021, 04:53 PM

661 posts, read 890,320 times
WalMart has about 3,000 bad reviews and I still shop at Walmart.
Those reviews are probably fake reviews. Or from people trying to destroy a business. Maybe from similar businesses.
You should take a view at the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. Not from Google or similar sites.
;-)

Old 09-19-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How big is the mgr co? The mgr co with my apt complex has tons of apts across the usa, So IF that the case with the one you are looking at 190 is a drop in the bucket. Good to know which complex has thin wall ... can you live with hearing whats going on next door or them hearing you?
They have alot of properties in my state. I could not live in a apartment complex that has thin walls. People would be complaining about me.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:04 PM

16,459 posts, read 12,653,295 times
Quote:
Again, you don't know the "true" story in either case. In most states, the board of health isn't the appropriate agency for such an issue, so I would be skeptical of that story. And regarding taking a month to fix something ... are we talking about a busted pipe in the ceiling, or a loose cabinet door? Big difference.

Quote:
Huh?

Quote:
Out of how many reviews total? 190 bad reviews out of 200 would bother me more than 190 bad reviews out of 1000.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Again, you don't know the "true" story in either case. In most states, the board of health isn't the appropriate agency for such an issue, so I would be skeptical of that story. And regarding taking a month to fix something ... are we talking about a busted pipe in the ceiling, or a loose cabinet door? Big difference.

Huh?

Out of how many reviews total? 190 bad reviews out of 200 would bother me more than 190 bad reviews out of 1000.
Ya it was like 190 out of 200. I don't remember what the person needed fixing . On glassdoor the pros of working for the company says you can be lazy and do nothing. It has 1.5 stars out of 5 on some review pages like Yelp.

The are constantly responding to thier negative reviews. Some negative reviews are recent 3 months ago.

Ya I know it's not related but when buying a appliance or tv do you take those reviews seriously?

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 09-19-2021 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting