Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 11:03 PM

860 posts, read 438,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Then get rid of him. Issue him a non renewal notice. Are you pissed because the rent is so cheap or because he’s a bad tenant?
I’m irritated with the level of ingratitude. I’m spoiled with wonderful long term tenants who are not only great tenants but great people in general. He’s not a “bad” tenant per say. But at this point if you’re not showing me any gratitude or appreciation for subsidizing your housing costs at my own expense and you feel a $650 a month discount isn’t generous enough, in my book you’ve overstayed your welcome.

I’m a bleeding heart and take good care of my tenants. They are good to me and I’m good to them. If that dynamic changes it puts me in the position of being the bad guy and I tend to resent that a bit I guess. I enjoy being a charity for the most part but only if I genuinely like whose receiving it. He will be getting his notice soon enough, plenty of notice but on my timeline. It will undoubtedly be a rude awakening for him and I don’t look forward to it. He literally has paid for the house and it’s value has increased 350% since he began renting it so he feels I owe him. I feel he has been well subsidized. At this point my capital will work better for me elsewhere as I no longer feel the desire to support someone who feels I owe them more than they’ve been given. So there’s a disconnect. When it’s a sellers market and your market is one of the hottest in the country, don’t push your luck with your landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I was asking a serious question. How does that work? It’s certainly not legal.
He said he doesn’t like renting to roommates or those with teenagers. It’s not illegal not to like something. In 37 years with several dozen single family homes don’t think I’ve ever rented to anyone with teenagers and I’ve managed to avoid too many roommate situations after learning that lesson. Not that’s I’d have an issue with a teen. When you get a lot of qualified applicants it’s easy to pick the best fit for your property. Tenant selection is a skill. It’s not their pets or their kids, it’s the quality of the tenants you pick that makes all the difference.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:44 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Quote:
I was asking a serious question. How does that work? It’s certainly not legal.
I’m down to 3 rental houses (been selling off in retirement). Two of my places are in bad school districts, and are small places very close to city center. So they do attract people w/o kids in school. I make appointments to view my places after I ask some screening questions, one being “who will live there and what are relationships.” And, with 3 or less properties, I am not subject to Federal Fair Housing…..

Old 11-23-2021, 12:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I’m irritated with the level of ingratitude. I’m spoiled with wonderful long term tenants who are not only great tenants but great people in general. He’s not a “bad” tenant per say. But at this point if you’re not showing me any gratitude or appreciation for subsidizing your housing costs at my own expense and you feel a $650 a month discount isn’t generous enough, in my book you’ve overstayed your welcome.

I’m a bleeding heart and take good care of my tenants. They are good to me and I’m good to them. If that dynamic changes it puts me in the position of being the bad guy and I tend to resent that a bit I guess. I enjoy being a charity for the most part but only if I genuinely like whose receiving it. He will be getting his notice soon enough, plenty of notice but on my timeline. It will undoubtedly be a rude awakening for him and I don’t look forward to it. He literally has paid for the house and it’s value has increased 350% since he began renting it so he feels I owe him. I feel he has been well subsidized. At this point my capital will work better for me elsewhere as I no longer feel the desire to support someone who feels I owe them more than they’ve been given. So there’s a disconnect. When it’s a sellers market and your market is one of the hottest in the country, don’t push your luck with your landlord.
‘Ingratitude’? What exactly do you think he owes you other than the monthly rent and care of your property?

You sent the rental rate, not your ungracious tenant. I think your anger is misguided.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’m down to 3 rental houses (been selling off in retirement). Two of my places are in bad school districts, and are small places very close to city center. So they do attract people w/o kids in school. I make appointments to view my places after I ask some screening questions, one being “who will live there and what are relationships.” And, with 3 or less properties, I am not subject to Federal Fair Housing…..
Guess it does work well for you then, doesn’t it? Do you discriminate in any other way ‘because you can’?

Old 11-23-2021, 01:56 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Quote:
Guess it does work well for you then, doesn’t it? Do you discriminate in any other way ‘because you can’?
Yes, I allow certain pets with pet deposit (must be fixed and over 18 months old, house trained and not aggressive - we must meet the pet) but if they claim to have emotional support animals and expect not to pay a pet deposit, I require certification from a medical professional who will discuss/confirm their status and I don’t accept internet purchased ESA certifications (which I can easily research)

Old 11-23-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
‘Ingratitude’? What exactly do you think he owes you other than the monthly rent and care of your property?

You sent the rental rate, not your ungracious tenant. I think your anger is misguided.
Not anger, more like disappointment. I don’t expect an immature response to a nominal rent increase. I.e. I can’t believe you won’t give me a break…etc…

Give you a break? A $650 below market rent price isn’t giving you a break? Like I said, I no longer have time for dealing with ungrateful, entitled folks. So my attitude is one of disappointment and disgust. And pity for the stupidity of the tenant who is going to be in for a rude awakening for which he will of course blame me for, rather than himself.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
We all discriminate Kim. It’s not illegal to discriminate. When you pick the higher qualified person you are discriminating. When you pick the person without let’s over the one with pets you are discriminating. When you pick the non-smoker over the smoker you are discriminating. Nothing illegal about discriminating. It’s not a bad word.

If you pick the non- minority lower qualified applicant over the higher qualified minority applicant you are illegally discriminating and you’re also stupid. If you pick the childless single person over the one with more family members and income is equal, credit scores are equal, debt levels are equal, etc…that is not illegally discriminating. If you refuse to rent to someone who otherwise meets all your criteria just because they have children- that is illegally discriminating. Most people don’t get only one qualified applicant to pick from but they get several and you are allowed to pick the one who is the best fit. A key factor I use to discriminate is tenant attitude. I’ll take the family with the pets and the right attitude over the single entitled complainer in a heartbeat. Or the family where each person meets the income requirement independently over the single person who qualifies but makes less…unless they make it clear they’re house hunting and don’t plan to stay long term, then they notch down on the priority list. All kinds of factors come into play.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:53 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Not anger, more like disappointment. I don’t expect an immature response to a nominal rent increase. I.e. I can’t believe you won’t give me a break…etc…

Give you a break? A $650 below market rent price isn’t giving you a break? Like I said, I no longer have time for dealing with ungrateful, entitled folks. So my attitude is one of disappointment and disgust. And pity for the stupidity of the tenant who is going to be in for a rude awakening for which he will of course blame me for, rather than himself.
Given that context your post makes more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting