Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 02:19 PM

23,327 posts, read 18,903,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmillz View Post
Mods please close this thread. Your forum people are reading over all the key details here.

I am stressed enough about this without forum people bending the truth against me.
What are we reading over here? The fact that your LL changed her mind? Sounds as if she agreed initially but checked her records and realized your lease termination date would fall at an inconvenient time for both of you. Who here is bending the truth? No one. We're basing our suggestions on the information YOU provided.

IMO you've gotten good advice. Either agree upon the terms of a new lease before you travel, arrange to renew the lease electronically during your trip, or terminate your lease early, move out, and store your stuff. If you don't want to sign another year lease, seems pretty obvious what to do. If your stuff is still in the unit you're still in the unit. Your LL isn't running a charity storage locker. She has bills to pay too. Rentals are in high demand right now. If you terminate early, I'm sure either you or your LL could find a tenant to assume the lease. Don't forget, if you leave this rental on bad terms you may have a much harder time finding another place to live upon your return.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-20-2022 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 02:31 PM

828 posts, read 417,058 times
People are just letting you know what your legal rights are and how it would play out in court.

You want people to consider your quotes like "This year, the landlord "approved" of my trip and wished me luck."

Which makes no difference and the Judge will not even consider. Blame the laws if you want, not the people giving good advice.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:56 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
I thought when a lease runs out, and you stay over, it goes month to month until you sign a new one. I guess that I’m wrong about that, but I can’t see how it can be automatically renewed for another year without the tenant signing. I would have thought that eviction would be the alternative to not going month to month, not automatically renewing. I’m learning so go easy on me.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:11 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,363,901 times
Ask to extend the lease until you return. Then, you have two months to decide to move or stay. I’m not a landlord but if the renewal date came and you did not pay the rent for the month, your stuff is being ripped out. What is to stop you from returning two months after the lease and just packing up and leaving? I wouldn’t risk losing that income.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:19 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Either renew lease before you go, or terminate lease, move your stuff into storage and pay out lease/early term as your lease states.
This is crystal clear for any adult to recognize.

I cannot grasp the confusion, but people who post "Mods, please close this thread" usually recognize they stumbled and want to back away....

Old 01-21-2022, 09:41 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I thought when a lease runs out, and you stay over, it goes month to month until you sign a new one. I guess that I’m wrong about that, but I can’t see how it can be automatically renewed for another year without the tenant signing. I would have thought that eviction would be the alternative to not going month to month, not automatically renewing. I’m learning so go easy on me.
Mine does not do that. Year by Year Never goes Month to month.

OP Needs to Read his lease... maybe let us know.

OP could also Ask if the LL would do a 3 month or 6-month lease. That covers his trip time beyond his due back date. & Give time to pack & move when he comes back.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:08 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

It depends upon the lease. Many leases are written so they renew automatically, often with an automatic rent increase, unless written notice is given 60 days in advance of the renewal date to cancel the lease.

Some leases are written so that they convert to a month to month agreement at the end of the lease.

If the lease doesn't specify, the landlord can evict for over-stay when the lease ends and the tenants doesn't get out. And on the lease that converts to a month to month, the landlord can still ask the tenant to leave with proper notice and can evict if the tenant doesn't get out.

No tenant gets to stay as long as he wants, no matter what sort of rental agreement is or was in force. If the lease ends, the landlord does not have to keep the tenant on a month to month agreement.

With many leases, a tenant who is absent for over 30 days can be considered to have abandoned the rental and have their stuff thrown out and possession of the unit returned to the landlord. OP got permission from the landlord to be gone, so that isn't an issue, but OP can not leave all of their possessions in the unit after their lease is over until it suits OP to move out. They really need to get their rental agreement sorted out before they leave for vacation.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:13 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
why would a LL have to approve your trip?
maybe I missed something?

Old 01-27-2022, 11:57 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why would a LL have to approve your trip?
maybe I missed something?

It's not "approve" a trip. No one cares where you go on vacation. But you must notify the landlord that you are on vacation and will be returning so the landlord doesn't think you have moved without notice and abandoned the unit. Or isn't worried that you are lying in the apartment dead for three weeks because you won't answer the phone.

You also must make arrangements so that rent is paid on time while you are gone, and you must leave the heat on during the winter. I also recommend turning the water off while you are gone. If you are gone for a long time, the landlord might want to check on the apartment occasionally to make sure everything is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting