Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

The hot water issue that we have been experiencing from last 4-6 months or more in mid 2021.
I had complained before to Property manager, building supervisor and the City of Toronto regarding this issue and after the complaint we got the hot water but for 2-3 months only and now we are experiencing the same issue since December 2021.

The water temperature was measured by a property maintenance person today and it's 37 degrees celsius. As per the City guidelines the temperature should be between 45-60 degrees celsius.

There is no maintenance or repair going on in the boiler room or in the building. So, this is clearly a violation of our lease agreement. As of now it’s been 2 months we do not have hot water at all. Property manager says that they are doing their best or they are waiting for some mechanical parts and it’s delayed. He is taking way too long to fix this issue. Their contractor says it’s a big job and it will cost them more so they are trying to figure out best way to fix it so that can save them money. They are taking their time and not responding to our emails.

The city by law officer did the inspection and gave them 30 days order to fix the issue but I am sure they are not doing to fix anything in this time period.

I am waiting for the 30 days to get over so that I can file a complaint to LTB. But it will still take time until we get the court date.

Is there any other way to make landlord fix this issue for us asap.

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 09:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,666,706 times
I wont pretend to be an expert in Canadian law, however -

In most US states, you have a right to a property that is habitable, which includes running water (including hot). In California, civil code requires a reasonable time to fix, but it is not defined in my recollection (30 days should hold up in court).

2 months is insane.

Since it appears you've already taken steps to remedy, I'd look at ways to vacate the property, using your mountain of evidence to get out of any lease that you have.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:01 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
You are in Canada so unlikely to get any meaningful responses.

If your housing belongs to the counsel, they don't have to comply with housing laws. I know that much about Canadian landlord laws.

If parts aren't available to do the repair, then they aren't available and nothing can be done about it. Covid has caused a lot of parts and appliance shortages and right now, goods are not moving well across the border.

I suggest that you get yourself a sauce pan and heat water on the stove.

I also know this about Canadian housing. The housing shortage is just as severe in Canada as it is in the USA, so look around to be sure you can find another place to live before you give notice and move out. If you can find another place to live, perhaps it is time to move out and find another place that gets better maintenance.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:22 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,439,385 times
Ask for a Transfer to a unit With Hot Water! They know you are having problems, so it would be a Reasonable request.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:44 PM

8,206 posts, read 8,436,001 times
You need. To move

Old 02-19-2022, 05:55 AM

27,426 posts, read 27,468,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I wont pretend to be an expert in Canadian law, however -

In most US states, you have a right to a property that is habitable, which includes running water (including hot). In California, civil code requires a reasonable time to fix, but it is not defined in my recollection (30 days should hold up in court).

2 months is insane.

Since it appears you've already taken steps to remedy, I'd look at ways to vacate the property, using your mountain of evidence to get out of any lease that you have.
I was pretty much thinking the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting