Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 3,304 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask if the fact I mentioned in the title could happen in my case, as I sent my 250$ deposit during my application, and then they scheduled my move in date during next week.

I called them and they said that I will lose only my deposit if I decide to not move in, but I afraid that they could send the "bill" for the remaining part of security deposit and prorated first month rent.

Here there is my application agreement terms if you wanna look at it: https://pastebin.com/cY73f6Qx

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 05:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
An application is not a lease. Did you sign a lease?

Old 04-16-2022, 05:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Read what you signed… if you were approved and don’t move in, and they hold the place for you, you could forfeit more than your deposit.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
An application is not a lease. Did you sign a lease?
No lease was signed.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Read what you signed… if you were approved and don’t move in, and they hold the place for you, you could forfeit more than your deposit.
There is only this explicit statement "If the landlord accepts me as a tenant, but I choose
not to occupy, the landlord will retain my full holding deposit."

But there is this statement too:

"Upon approval the holding deposit will become your security deposit
and you will owe your first month’s rent by the time you move in. If you
have selected a unit that qualifies for security-deposit installments and
upon approval of your application you elect to pay the security deposit in
installments per Addendum J of your lease, you will owe one-fourth of
the security deposit before moving in."

Old 04-16-2022, 09:12 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF you signed the lease, they could demand the Wole amount of the lease! Be thankful you didn't sign!

Old 04-16-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF you signed the lease, they could demand the Wole amount of the lease! Be thankful you didn't sign!
No, I haven't signed anything yet except the application form, the rent signature would be after paying the first mont + the remaining deposit and moving-in.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:54 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I guess you will have to wait and see. If you were accepted to rent and agreed to rent and they took the apartment off the market and held it for you, then, in my opinion, you owe at least a 30 day notice.

However, I am not your landlord and you didn't sign my paperwork. I don't even know your landlord, so I have no way of guessing what they will do. Apparently, according to your OP, they told you that you will lose your deposit, so most likely what will happen will be that you will lose your deposit.

The lesson to take away from this is to not reserve any apartment and have it taken off the market and held for you if you have no genuine intention of renting that apartment.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I guess you will have to wait and see. If you were accepted to rent and agreed to rent and they took the apartment off the market and held it for you, then, in my opinion, you owe at least a 30 day notice.

However, I am not your landlord and you didn't sign my paperwork. I don't even know your landlord, so I have no way of guessing what they will do. Apparently, according to your OP, they told you that you will lose your deposit, so most likely what will happen will be that you will lose your deposit.

The lesson to take away from this is to not reserve any apartment and have it taken off the market and held for you if you have no genuine intention of renting that apartment.
My application was accepted less than 30 days ago, so I don't think I owe at least a 30 day notice. Monday I will call them and see.
What if the contract doesn't suit me and I don't sign it then? I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2022, 05:32 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
What if the contract doesn't suit me and I don't sign it then? I haven't seen it yet.
Too bad.

You could have, and should have, insisted on getting a copy of the contract to review before handing over any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting