Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times

Advertisements

it sounds like a normal place to park cars.

here in the city a friend parks his car in what is the back yard, there are 12 parking spaces diagnol, but there are also all the ground floor windows of peoples apartments, so, i'm guessing they can smell the exhaust from the cars.
When he backs out of the parking space, he too is within inches of the building, with the windows there.
it is a common thing.
here in the city parking is gold, people will park anywhwre, thus giving up a back yard, parking is more important to us here in the city

but, iot is not illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 05:55 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The OP stated that people Backing out of a space Across from his window are coming too close to the building. Sounds like it is Not an actual parking space... so as I said a few posts would stop that. It's not like the way some homes are built at a T intersection when a Speeding car can miss a turn & ram the home! We used to rent a home at the bottom of a hill at a T intersection. That was 45+ years ago at that time the home was over 100 years old & to this day still stands. So that to me is Slim to none in danger.
My daughter used to rent an apartment where you could look underneath the cars from the living room window. The cars were parked within 2 to 4 feet from the building. That’s the kind of thing I figured the OP was talking about. Maybe the OP can clarify, but I got the impression that most of us seemed to understand it more like that.

That 100 year old home being safe is purely luck. Without some kind of barrier, one day the luck could run out. Of course it is possible it may never happen. I wouldn’t live there, but that’s just me.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My daughter used to rent an apartment where you could look underneath the cars from the living room window. The cars were parked within 2 to 4 feet from the building. That’s the kind of thing I figured the OP was talking about. Maybe the OP can clarify, but I got the impression that most of us seemed to understand it more like that.

That 100 year old home being safe is purely luck. Without some kind of barrier, one day the luck could run out. Of course it is possible it may never happen. I wouldn’t live there, but that’s just me.
What your DD place as you described I would have Never rented. Cars parked that close & Dumb owners that Love to sit inside & Rev the Engine before pulling out No way. The noise & Pollution drive me nuts!!

But the way OP is describing it. The cars are backing out of a space at least a car length away. Which is why I suggested he ask for that space to assigned to him. Then he's the one backing into his window!

Old 05-10-2022, 08:10 AM

5,653 posts, read 3,136,687 times
You could get a window fan, and point it to where it blows OUT, instead of drawing air in. Maybe if it was blowing out, it would stop the exhaust fumes from coming in your room. Could be a relatively cheap solution.

Old 05-10-2022, 05:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Think about it. Exhaust gases can rise up to the 2nd floor. They can also go through an open window or where an apartment is not adequately sealed. The poster seemed to be saying that whatever was done to seal those 2nd floor apartments could possibly be done for the ground floor apartment. I don’t know if that is possible. I was just trying to help translate what the other person was saying, or seemed to be saying.
I actually agree with that. I think we were saying the same thing in different ways? Ground floor or "basement level" is going to be a lot worse than a 2nd or 3rd floor frog level when it's a car literally right outside your window.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:11 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What your DD place as you described I would have Never rented. Cars parked that close & Dumb owners that Love to sit inside & Rev the Engine before pulling out No way. The noise & Pollution drive me nuts!!

But the way OP is describing it. The cars are backing out of a space at least a car length away. Which is why I suggested he ask for that space to assigned to him. Then he's the one backing into his window!
I went back and reread it. I see that you are correct about the backing up.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:56 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You could get a window fan, and point it to where it blows OUT, instead of drawing air in. Maybe if it was blowing out, it would stop the exhaust fumes from coming in your room. Could be a relatively cheap solution.
Cheap I don't think so! Just Higher Heat & A/C Bills... most likely More exhaust coming in around the fan.
Sealing & Insulating the area best IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting