Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 10:23 AM

31 posts, read 32,484 times

Advertisements

So we rent a accessible low level unit in California and my bedroom window is just 2 feet away from where cars drive by, about 15 feet from the parked cars. When cars back up to exit their spot, their cars come just 1-2 inches away from my window, luckily they have a backup camera so they don't hit the window and wall but I can smell all the exhaust fumes from when it backs up. I think it always comes in also when the window is closed from AC because it's just a few inches from floor. I also smell the exhaust from cars just driving by.
I complained to the manager but she said there's nothing that can be done. Is it legal to have an apartment with a window like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 10:33 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you didn't want to live next to the parking lot, why did you rent an apartment next to the parking lot? The manager isn't going to move the parking lot to a different location after you move in because you thought you could rent next to the parking lot but not live next to the parking lot.

Of course it is legal to have windows overlooking a parking lot. Keep your windows closed to keep exhaust out. Set your AC to circulate the inside air and not collect fresh air from outside.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:45 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout45 View Post
So we rent a accessible low level unit in California and my bedroom window is just 2 feet away from where cars drive by, about 15 feet from the parked cars. When cars back up to exit their spot, their cars come just 1-2 inches away from my window, luckily they have a backup camera so they don't hit the window and wall but I can smell all the exhaust fumes from when it backs up. I think it always comes in also when the window is closed from AC because it's just a few inches from floor. I also smell the exhaust from cars just driving by.
I complained to the manager but she said there's nothing that can be done. Is it legal to have an apartment with a window like this?
Didn't you look at this unit before deciding to rent it? How close to the windows cars would need to pass should have been obvious. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the accessibility advantages of a unit like this is how easy it is for a resident to get back and forth from the parking lot.

As for being legal, take a moment to recall cheaper older styles of apartment complexes you may have visited or seen portrayed in movies or TV. I know I've certainly seen dozens of them in larger cities and towns and have lived in a couple on a short term basis. The buildings are often laid out so their front windows overlook the resident parking lots. Probably because it was more efficient and cost less to construct the campus that way. It also means the ground floor unit windows end up closest to the cars. If someone's lucky, there's a small strip of garden or lawn between the building and the pavement. If not, or management doesn't want to maintain them, the pavement goes right up to the building itself. The places portrayed in media like that aren't artificial sets, they're bona fide locations! They can't all be illegal!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-24-2022 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-24-2022, 02:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
So why don't You park there... Ask for the spot to be ONLY for you.

Also Buy a CARBON Monoxide Detector ASAP!!

Old 04-24-2022, 05:50 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
You think you've got problems.

This is the corner of Westchester Ave and Simpson St in the Bronx, where the southbound elevated train come literally within feet of those corner apartments of the second and third floor.

The train passes dozens of times during the day and night.

I recall riding the train many times growing up. Because it is such a tight curve the sound of steel wheels on steel tracks was deafening.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8245...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-24-2022, 06:31 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Finding it hard to believe OP is for real.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

This is the corner of Westchester Ave and Simpson St in the Bronx, where the southbound elevated train come literally within feet of those corner apartments of the second and third floor.

I recall riding the train many times growing up. Because it is such a tight curve the sound of steel wheels on steel tracks was deafening.

I think I’ll keep my 1/4 acre in flyover country, thank you.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:27 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout45 View Post

Yes.

Have you thought about moving back in with your MIL? Did she buy another house after she sold the one you shared with her?

Old 04-25-2022, 09:00 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Reminds me of stories that my father used to tell of the time he was living on an airbase literally yards away from the runway used by fighter jets and cargo planes all hours of the day and night. He said some of them were so loud that the window blinds would literally rattle up and down.

Wherever he moved to next was someplace much more quiet and peaceful. And the first few weeks he was there, he would wake up suddenly in the middle of the night every night in a panic thinking something was wrong because there was no plane noise. He had grown so accustomed to it that peace and quiet just felt terribly wrong.

Old 04-26-2022, 05:52 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Finding it hard to believe OP is for real.
.My daughter once lived in apartment like that. I do think the property owner should put some koi d of barrier to prevent cars hitting the building, but there’s no law about it that I know about. The OP is stuck with their decision to rent there. The best thing for them to do is move when the lease runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting