Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 5,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I just recently use bleach to clean the window aluminum frames and area around them,it is dirty work ,wear gloves and get plenty of paper towels.
Use garden hose to wash the windows work as well.
As for the closet,you need to speak to your landlord if the leaky roof is the cause.
You can also get an aircleaner ,it comes in different sizes
There was a study from Duke University that using Bleach to clean makes Mold grow more. Look into it. You have to buy sprays specifically designed for Molds. Also, read you can use a combination of white vinegar and baking soda..not sure how true is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 5,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you got these on Friday, why didn’t you notify them on Friday? You could’ve notified them on Saturday… Most leasing offices are open on the weekends.

But most importantly, are you still in the unit?
The property manager is off on Saturday. I spoke to them on Monday and they are taking it seriously. They are moving me to a different unit in a different bldg.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbx View Post
The property manager is off on Saturday. I spoke to them on Monday and they are taking it seriously. They are moving me to a different unit in a different bldg.
So you’re still in the unit until they move you? What about all your things that are now covered in toxic mold? Are they gonna have them professionally cleaned? You gonna file a claim with your renters insurance? Or are you just gonna move and call it a day?

Well, I guess the important thing is the landlord is taking action… good luck in your new unit.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
There was a study from Duke University that using Bleach to clean makes Mold grow more. Look into it. You have to buy sprays specifically designed for Molds. Also, read you can use a combination of white vinegar and baking soda..not sure how true is that.
6% peroxide works very well on mold. Use it full strength.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:25 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
OP, I am sorry about some of these responses. As you know, landlord's don't give a s*** about you or your baby. You have provided an official mold report and still are being grilled as to what you plan to do with your personal belongings, accusing you of insufficient cleaning and implying that mold simply happens and is not to be taken seriously.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your lease. Mine has a mold addendum (apparently, this is so common in southern states that there are now "mold addendums".) If yours has one, you are SOL.

If not, you could talk to them, but they won't do a thing. I would just stay and use whatever preventative I could - living in the South, you could be jumping from the fire into the frying pan by moving.

Old 05-26-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
OP, I am sorry about some of these responses. As you know, landlord's don't give a s*** about you or your baby. You have provided an official mold report and still are being grilled as to what you plan to do with your personal belongings, accusing you of insufficient cleaning and implying that mold simply happens and is not to be taken seriously.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your lease. Mine has a mold addendum (apparently, this is so common in southern states that there are now "mold addendums".) If yours has one, you are SOL.

If not, you could talk to them, but they won't do a thing. I would just stay and use whatever preventative I could - living in the South, you could be jumping from the fire into the frying pan by moving.
She already said she’s moving to different unit.. what else do you want them to do??

Old 05-26-2022, 01:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
........ landlord's don't give a s*** about you or your baby. ........

Why should the landlord give a (bleep) about the OP and her baby? He is renting an apartment, he didn't adopt her and the child and he isn't the child's father. He has no obligation beyond providing the place to live and even then, only as long as OP pays the rent and takes halfway decent care of the unit.

Your landlord is not assuming all the duties of your parent. Your landlord is not your personal welfare department that is going to give you all the care and coddling you deserve. If you try to make it so, you are in for a great deal of disappointment in your life.

This particular landlord is allowing the OP to move to a clean apartment, and I suggest that she learn about how to clean a house or she will be losing this place if she allows mold to grow in it.

The apartment she is moving from had a roof leak that caused mold, but she was negligent about reporting it and didn't keep on top of the cleaning. Having a child does not absolve you of all responsibility for taking care of yourself and your child. The world doesn't owe you anything just because you have reproduced. You are not owed any special treatment or privileges because you have a child.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
I have always use diluted bleach to rid mold,sometimes I will soak some papertowel in such solution and leave it THERE after the mold is removed,weeks and months later,I will remove the dried papertowel and no mold .
There is a spray which would prevent future mold you can buy at HD .
I dont understand how mold can grow back if it is gone ? unless it is the surrounding,then it is new mold.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:14 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I dont understand how mold can grow back if it is gone ? unless it is the surrounding,then it is new mold.
A sad story - when I lived in Queens, NY a family lived in an expensive rental. They spent the whole winter sick with bronchial issues - colds, pneumonia, etc. They did the same mold testing as the OP. Turns out, their landlord painted over mold and the mold continued to grow under the paint.

Mold gets into air vents and lives in wood and paper. Mold loves books and old newspapers.

It's very difficult to contain. I am not really getting why anyone would think the OP isn't clean or its her problem.

I recommend getting an air cleaner - https://www.health.com/home/best-air-purifier-for-mold

Old 05-29-2022, 07:38 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on what to do next. I noticed some black spots on my bedroom window, AC vents & Closet. Since I have an infant I decided to call a mold inspector to check it out. He took an outdoor air sample, bedroom air & closet air sample, and Swab for the window, ac vent & closet. Results came back positive for Mold. I am still waiting for a final report from the company but they shared the lab result with me in the meantime.

I am really not very familiar with Molds and what are harmful/harmless etc so asking here if someone can look into the attached report and what they think from a safety perspective, esp. due to the infant present. Once I get the report I will be speaking with the apartment management but at this time I am thinking to get out of the lease and move somewhere else.

The main concern is Stachybotrys detected in the AC vent & air sample.

I have 3 options:
1. Ask apt. mgmt to fix the mold
2. Ask apt. mgmt to move us to a new unit
3. Get out of the lease and move somewhere else.

Please give me some suggestions.

AIR Lab report: https://i.imgur.com/42yYJfu.png
SWAB Lab report: https://i.imgur.com/lDjMWj6.png

I'd suggest you get you and your infant, the HELL out of there, now. No, I'm not kidding either...

Don't wait for mgmt to quit dragging their feet on this.

Unless you've had this black mold since you brought your baby home. Then, the damage (upper raspatory) might already be done. But, I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting