Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

We've been in a discussion with an owner about a property. She initially said only w/d hook-ups. We asked about a month to month situation after a one year lease. After discussing our two rentals, one current and one past, where we were forced to vacate due to the 2008 RE crash/short sale and now the owner needs cash from the home due to a physical injury and surgery, we are a bit cautious with the owner's financial situation. She explained to us that she paid cash for the home and no concern necessary. She offered if there's anything she can do to make us more comfortable, to ask. Well, we did so after she spoke with our current owner whose home is larger, way more elaborate, and a SFH who gave her a rave review for us. We asked for the month to month and if there's any way to provide a w/d? She said yes to to M2M and no to the w/d. She rewrote the lease and resent it. Spouse read it first, then I read it the next day. I noticed she left two boxes, LL vs. renter, unchecked having to do with pest/termite/building issue and also roaches, ants etc. I asked her about that to clarify. I also knew and had told her previously that people (one renter) we knew had been experiencing squirrels in attics and a owner - rats/snakes in the same neighborhood most likely due to a massive and adjacent construction. She sent a angry text in response, but didn't offer to clarify the lease. A couple of hours later, sent an email saying we needed to submit the lease in the next few hours or she'd list it with someone the next day. There was no verbal agreement or written agreement with the timing of the lease submittal prior to her ultimatum. We did submit that evening with no response from her in terms of her receiving it at all. We're a bit concerned with how she might handle the lease after that. We sent another copy of the lease with greater clarity the next day bc the scanning was bad. Also, we said if you're uncomfortable with us, then let us know and we can void the lease. The home is being renovated and has no one in it and it won't be available for weeks. She is not responding to one text and two emails. Are we getting the silent treatment? Can we get out of the lease?

Last edited by bostitch; 05-19-2022 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: added details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 09:48 AM

6,358 posts, read 4,992,599 times
Desperate people do foolish things. You should never have signed anything without a face to face sit down to get all of the details ironed out where you both sign the document at the same time.

However, without consideration and acceptance, you have no contract.

I suggest you send written notice that you are cancelling and won't take the place.

Then learn from this mistake where next you look.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:16 PM

32,764 posts, read 48,473,397 times
I would have been done with you long before this point. You are awfully demanding and entitled for someone who wants to rent a house for a few months. That landlord got tired of your stalling with a new question every day and still you hadn't signed the lease. You look like a time waster who wants a lot of attention and she is not there to be your concierge service.

It's not appropriate for your to pry into the landlord's financial affairs. You get your lease and the lease goes with the property if the landlord decides to sell. If the house is well maintained when you first view it, the landlord takes good care of the property. If the house is a wreck when you view it, it isn't going to get any better.

You asked to change the lease twice, you aren't content with the house the way it is and you want changes and you want additional amenities that are clearly not included. You criticize the house for something that happened at two other and different houses. Seriously, many landlords have the policy of screening out any applicant who is a PITA and you fit that description.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 894 times
When a landlord can turn our lives upside down because of their finances, I have every right to ask, especially when they scrutinize ours. If all you said was correct, why is the LL begging to get us back and apologizing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would have been done with you long before this point. You are awfully demanding and entitled for someone who wants to rent a house for a few months. That landlord got tired of your stalling with a new question every day and still you hadn't signed the lease. You look like a time waster who wants a lot of attention and she is not there to be your concierge service.

It's not appropriate for your to pry into the landlord's financial affairs. You get your lease and the lease goes with the property if the landlord decides to sell. If the house is well maintained when you first view it, the landlord takes good care of the property. If the house is a wreck when you view it, it isn't going to get any better.

You asked to change the lease twice, you aren't content with the house the way it is and you want changes and you want additional amenities that are clearly not included. You criticize the house for something that happened at two other and different houses. Seriously, many landlords have the policy of screening out any applicant who is a PITA and you fit that description.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:47 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,132,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostitch View Post
When a landlord can turn our lives upside down because of their finances, I have every right to ask, especially when they scrutinize ours. If all you said was correct, why is the LL begging to get us back and apologizing??
So now she’s begging you to do what? Rent her home? I thought you already returned the signed lease?

Both of you sound like you have issues.. I wouldn’t rent from her or rent to you. I don’t play games.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:05 AM

6,855 posts, read 11,641,335 times
If you need a W/D on a short term basis, call Rent-a-Center or similar and rent a set. Or buy used and sell when you vacate.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:24 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,225,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostitch View Post
When a landlord can turn our lives upside down because of their finances, I have every right to ask, especially when they scrutinize ours.
No, you don't. If owner finances are a concern, you should only rent from publicly traded corporations. I would never disclose a smidgen of financial data to a tenant.

But, even if you ask, and some landlord does provide you information, what good is that? What they have now could change in an instant and all be gone tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting