Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 08:10 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,437,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The car alarm issue is not limited to apartment environments. That also happens in neighborhoods of single family homes. You can't escape it by renting (or buying) a home, vs. an apt.
Density. It's all about density. Where I'm sitting right now there are 20 houses on a block, each with an average of 2 cars (some have 3, some only one). 40 cars per city block. If the block were taken by a 3 story apartment block with its parking lot, there would probably be 200-300 cars in the parking lot. A far higher chance that any one car's alarm is blaring at a given time. Plus with them all out there in a parking lot, rather than in people's garages, a) there's more chance of setting one off, and b) when car alarms go off in a closed garage they're a lot quieter to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 12:47 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,636,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It may not be "helpful" in the sense of "how do I fix this?" but the truth is there's no fixing thumpers, door slammers, and car alarms. It's like keeping teenagers from having sex by telling them not to. You can nag the thumpers upstairs 24/7 and they'll still stomp around like they're trying to recreate Riverdance in their bedroom.
Tell me about it. Yes, it can be stressful. I have had my share of traumatic experiences in my later years when things should be calmer for an older person. (It's also difficult moving at this time without enough rate-appropriate housing available here). I have the most unbearable neighbor above me currently so I can feel miserable at times. (I think he is a Narcissist). Some are sick individuals who should not be able to live in shared housing. I feel for those suffering with this, when trying to exist peacefully, rest and sleep, without having excessive disruption.

I don't feel it is just all about "apartment living", as some say. Regular, occasional sounds are one thing, while unnecessary, excessive activities and habits are another. I didn't experience misery while in earlier apartment rentals, but it was a different time, too. There are maybe more thoughtless individuals existing today. The unit above me has housed both the decent and the disrespectful, so it is not the unit.

There are just two types: (1) Considerate (2) Inconsiderate. Unfortunately, we never know which type we may end up with.

Just to add another act of thoughtlessness by some -- having driveways flanking either side of this building to and from the parking lot, there will be those playing loud car radio / bass thumping as they drive by to the lot, any time of the day or night. The manager is clueless, not experiencing...asking "but they're all home by 6 o'clock, right?"

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-05-2023 at 01:26 AM..

Old 05-09-2023, 12:33 AM

9,883 posts, read 9,492,567 times
This is a common concern among renters, but also home owners sometimes/often have nasty next door neighbors who blare loud annoying music in thier backyard because its their home and they feel they can do whatever they want.

So you cant avoid it. Best to prevent it by choosing a better apartment.. - with these suggestions I've found helpful -

The landlord is very important. See if they screen tenants. Sometimes the best landlords are the ones that seem the most strict because they are not letting baloney into the apartments.

Also, get an apartment that has carpeting, and plaster walls. Live in a quiet suburb vs the city, (dont live by a bus stop or busy street in the city as the buses and cars will cause noise.

Live in an apartment that has a lot of seniors as they are usually more quiet.

Live in a pet free apartment, that will keep the noise down.

Read the apartment reviews websites, but check them out for yourself.

Thats about all you can do, but even then, you might have quiet neighbors one month and next month, they move out and you dont know who you will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting