Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:45 AM

203 posts, read 927,828 times

Advertisements

My previous posts: Tenant uncooperative in letting agents in to see property up for sale...............NOW, said tenant wants an extra week to get his stuff moved?!.........."i work midnight shift"........."no time to move"........"yada yada something something"...

My House is up for sale June 1st.............Now he can't get into the other place til June 2nd and not actually move til the following Friday or weekend?(sorry?! Was i supposed to be listening?).......ie. "can i stay an extra week?"

........excuse me, folks, the nature of my yob puts me in touch with many "unique" individuals.......some who have mastered the art of "sob stories"; trust me, I've heard it All!

Now what to do with his belongings if he doesnt go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:38 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
How long did he have notice it was going up for sale on 6/1?? How did you inform them, writing or verbal?

Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
Well, if the lease states he's out on the 31st and you put his stuff out on the 1st, I suppose he could call the police and have you arrested. Maybe he'll get a restraining order on you or just press charges. Good fodder for his unlawful eviction lawsuit.

Very frustrating for you... but I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to just toss his stuff. It's going to take you more than a week to have him evicted. I'm sure he knows that too.

I really hope that my landlord wants to show the place before we move out. They haven't fixed ANYTHING, so it'll be great to put up signs, "Garage door opener broken since ____" "Note the rotting deck and boards coming up" "Have you noticed the ants on the back deck? It'll get MUCH worse as it gets warmer" "Don't sit in the window seat, they only plan to replace the rotted drywall - dryer vents right there" "Sprinkler system hasn't worked since ____" "Don't believe they'll fix anything once you move in" "Garbage disposal and dishwasher can't be run at the same time" "Electrical problems throughout the house... changing that lightbulb will not fix anything, no matter what they say"

Old 05-25-2008, 08:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
My previous posts: Tenant uncooperative in letting agents in to see property up for sale...............NOW, said tenant wants an extra week to get his stuff moved?!.........."i work midnight shift"........."no time to move"........"yada yada something something"...

My House is up for sale June 1st.............Now he can't get into the other place til June 2nd and not actually move til the following Friday or weekend?(sorry?! Was i supposed to be listening?).......ie. "can i stay an extra week?"

........excuse me, folks, the nature of my yob puts me in touch with many "unique" individuals.......some who have mastered the art of "sob stories"; trust me, I've heard it All!

Now what to do with his belongings if he doesnt go?
Well, here in the South, I have heard people say that they have had movers come in and just move belongings to a storage building. However, that would be in violation of tenant and eviction law . . . but I have seen it done and no one protesting, LOL. I mean - you have told him he has to get out . . . I think it would depend on the type of contract you have and how likely your local law enforcement would be to hold you responsible . . . as to whether or not I would be inclined to just come in w/ my key and dump his stuff in storage . . .

Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
I dont get it on the other post You said "they had everything out but a mattress TV & table"
So whos lying??

Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
Good catch Katie

Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I dont get it on the other post You said "they had everything out but a mattress TV & table"
So whos lying??
Ouch! how very judgemental of you?!...........i was going by the real estate agents observation...........when i went there..........and waited outside for 15mins before he decided to answer the door i discovered many more boxes and furniture..........not to mention all the seats from a van in my/his living room.............oh yea?!...........weird/restaurant-type furniture on the deck.........not great selling features

Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
How long did he have notice it was going up for sale on 6/1?? How did you inform them, writing or verbal?
Long time.............and both

Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Well, if the lease states he's out on the 31st and you put his stuff out on the 1st, I suppose he could call the police and have you arrested. Maybe he'll get a restraining order on you or just press charges. Good fodder for his unlawful eviction lawsuit.

Very frustrating for you... but I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to just toss his stuff. It's going to take you more than a week to have him evicted. I'm sure he knows that too.

I really hope that my landlord wants to show the place before we move out. They haven't fixed ANYTHING, so it'll be great to put up signs, "Garage door opener broken since ____" "Note the rotting deck and boards coming up" "Have you noticed the ants on the back deck? It'll get MUCH worse as it gets warmer" "Don't sit in the window seat, they only plan to replace the rotted drywall - dryer vents right there" "Sprinkler system hasn't worked since ____" "Don't believe they'll fix anything once you move in" "Garbage disposal and dishwasher can't be run at the same time" "Electrical problems throughout the house... changing that lightbulb will not fix anything, no matter what they say"
I had no intention of throwing anyone's stuff out.............he*k I'll even come after work and help him move

Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here in the South, I have heard people say that they have had movers come in and just move belongings to a storage building. However, that would be in violation of tenant and eviction law . . . but I have seen it done and no one protesting, LOL. I mean - you have told him he has to get out . . . I think it would depend on the type of contract you have and how likely your local law enforcement would be to hold you responsible . . . as to whether or not I would be inclined to just come in w/ my key and dump his stuff in storage . . .
I wouldn't disrespect someone else's belongings....it may not be much, but it's all they got...........it goes against my grain to chuck/store anothers hard earned stuff.......

....but honestly folks this game is not for me.........you try to be forthright and honest and then expect the same in return?!..............not on this planet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting