Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 07:31 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

Barking dogs are just doing what You do TALK!

Gossip don't bother me IF it is True. But spreading Lies is Rude! Poking into people's bags as the come home from shopping is Crazy! They did this & more!

Old 02-26-2023, 08:19 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Barking dogs are just doing what You do TALK!

Gossip don't bother me IF it is True. But spreading Lies is Rude! Poking into people's bags as the come home from shopping is Crazy! They did this & more!
We know dogs bark, but there are those that do it very little. We had a neighbor, at a different complex, that the dog barked so much, the resident was given the option of being evicted or getting rid of the dog. The resident had gotten numerous complaints.

My wife works from home and simply can’t concentrate with a loud barking dog above us!

As far as gossip goes, are you saying Seniors lie about others? I think, in one way or another everyone gossips about someone.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:18 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
First, when I turned 21, I was still in the U.S. Navy onboard a ship.
Thank you for your service. Did you earn a pension?

Quote:
There are those that are able to stay on a job for years upon years and those that get laid-off, company/business closes or the person/people simply want to move to a new location and have to quit their job. All of this happened to both my wife and I, before we met and since.

And, to a point, there are those that will do anything a company asks them to do, so they can stay with the company. I was never like that! Working 60 plus hours a week, oh heck no! No traveling either. Only day-shift, nothing else!

As for myself, for years I got stuck in the low-paying warehouse/shipping/receiving/stockroom positions, until I finally broke into Purchasing and Inventory Management.

But, the way I see it, there are those Seniors that have to live off of SS and savings and can't afford the 55 Plus Community, like us. Those Seniors still deserve the "Respect & Consideration" where ever they live!
I see a lot of excuses.

Think back to when you were in the US Navy.

Were excuses acceptable?

Old 02-27-2023, 07:26 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
Well, I definitely wouldn't say that ("they don't realize"). Why? Because, they know that we live below them. There is a small Dog Park in our complex, so they don't have to play with their dog in their apartment. They knew their dining room chairs were making noise when they moved them. The young girl told me that they were getting non-marring things to attach to the bottom of each chair. Guess they did it, because we no longer hear their chairs when they leave their table.

Perhaps they don't know that we can hear their bed when they are having sex. Their bed is right above our bedroom. But, just how do you mention to an "above" neighbor you hear their bed when they are having sex?
A broom stick. Hit the ceiling.

Or, perhaps more effectively, you tell them directly to their face. "Last night, you should know we heard you having vigorous sex. You started at XX:XX and finished at YY:YY. "

Or, you could be oblique: "Are you religious? Because last night we heard you crying out, 'Oh God, Oh God, Oh God.." starting at XX:XX, ending at YY:YY."

Old 02-27-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Thank you for your service.

I see a lot of excuses.

Think back to when you were in the US Navy.

Were excuses acceptable?
In the Navy, it can depend on what the excuse was. After a weekend of "Liberty" (time off) in San Diego, I had a flat tire going back to my ship and reported onboard 15 minutes late. I was wrote, but the XO (Executive Officer/2nd in Command) let me off after explaining to him what happened.

So, yes, some excuses are acceptable in the miliary.

Anyway, we wouldn't have these complaints if people would be respectful/considerate to other residents in apartments. Some are, buy some-to-many aren't. In fact, an e-mail was sent out to all residents, from the manager, talking about loud music being played by some residents that was disturbing other residents. She said "Please be sure to look at your Leasing Agreement Policies about noise during the day and after 10PM.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A broom stick. Hit the ceiling.

Or, perhaps more effectively, you tell them directly to their face. "Last night, you should know we heard you having vigorous sex. You started at XX:XX and finished at YY:YY. "
Well, last night at 10PM, wife was asleep and I wasn't yet. I heard the noise and, from the bed it sounded like it was coming from the ceiling (upstairs neighbors bedroom). I got up and went to the wall of our next-door neighbor and the noise was coming from his kitchen. His kitchen is right next to our bedroom. Like I previously stated about how thin the walls are. Sometime I'll let him know that our bedroom is right next to his kitchen. We've heard his dryer running also.

As for us, we don't run our dishwasher or clothes washer/dryer after 8PM. Then again, those appliances aren't close to anyone's walls, but we still don't do it. And, if we did have a dog and wanted to play with it, we are on a bottom floor...........nobody would hear us.

There is a city-wide Leash Law here, but a neighbor across the drive, doesn't care and always has his dogs out without a leash. Also have a dog "poop" policy here, about picking up after your dog, but we seen pile after pile of dog poop. Now, with new residents, a "saliva swab" is done to each dog to ID the poop, but there are still residents that don't care and leave their dog poop lay. Those residents end up with a Fine added to their months rent, but seem not to care.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:

The complex seems to draw in lots and lots of Generation Z (up to 25) and Millennials (26-40). It's like a magnet for those age groups here, but the complex is the best looking one around this area.

One thing for sure, and we noticed this for the last 3 1/2 years we've lived in this city, no Seniors move here (that we have talked to).
I think your expectations of who are going to be your neighbors isn't reality. Common sense and statics prove that ALL apartments complexes will "draw in lots and lots of Gen Z and Millennials."

"In 2020, only ten percent of renters in the United States were 65 years or older, whereas 47 percent were under 30 years old."

And that 10% includes the small percentage that DO live in 55+ rental communities.

The behavior you describe isn't polite or thoughtful, but it shouldn't be surprising to you. It's not out of character for the age group. I'm betting that you had more frequent, energetic, noisier sex when you their age, too. I'm betting you stayed up later than 10pm and maybe danced in your underwear to too-loud music. (Hell, I'm 66 and pretend to be Katy Perry regularly.)

Under ALL circumstances, you cannot control the behavior of other people. You can remain pissed off and rant, or you can move. Find a rental that may have demographics that fits your preferences and needs. Rent a house. Move to a new city or a different area of your current city (presumably your WAH wife can work virtually from anywhere.) Or you can adapt - headphones, white noise, WAH wife goes to a library or Starbucks for part of the day. Move to a no pets allowed community. Get a dog or a cat yourself as a distraction. Change your sleep schedule. Have a shot of bourbon before bed. Etc.

Is it RIGHT that YOU have to deal with this? Of course not. This is the downside of taking advantage of the lower costs and increased flexibility of renting instead of owning. It is what it is.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think your expectations of who are going to be your neighbors isn't reality. Common sense and statics prove that ALL apartments complexes will "draw in lots and lots of Gen Z and Millennials."

"In 2020, only ten percent of renters in the United States were 65 years or older, whereas 47 percent were under 30 years old."

And that 10% includes the small percentage that DO live in 55+ rental communities.

The behavior you describe isn't polite or thoughtful, but it shouldn't be surprising to you. It's not out of character for the age group. I'm betting that you had more frequent, energetic, noisier sex when you their age, too. I'm betting you stayed up later than 10pm and maybe danced in your underwear to too-loud music. (Hell, I'm 66 and pretend to be Katy Perry regularly.)

Under ALL circumstances, you cannot control the behavior of other people. You can remain pissed off and rant, or you can move. Find a rental that may have demographics that fits your preferences and needs. Rent a house. Move to a new city or a different area of your current city (presumably your WAH wife can work virtually from anywhere.) Or you can adapt - headphones, white noise, WAH wife goes to a library or Starbucks for part of the day. Move to a no pets allowed community. Get a dog or a cat yourself as a distraction. Change your sleep schedule. Have a shot of bourbon before bed. Etc.

Is it RIGHT that YOU have to deal with this? Of course not. This is the downside of taking advantage of the lower costs and increased flexibility of renting instead of owning. It is what it is.
So, if the majority of apartment renters are Millennials and Generation Z, why can't they respect others that live around them. With continuing e-mail notices from the manager about complaints concerning loud music, not picking up dog poop and other things, the problems aren't us.

We see absolutely no reason to change our lifestyle. Again, we aren't the problem! We just heard our upstairs neighbor playing with their dog. It's 45 degrees outside, not freezing. The dog should be in our Dog Park where many residents go to give their dog/dogs exercise and play with them.

You are 9 years younger than my wife and 8 years young then me. We dance around/play around, but we are on the bottom floor where nobody can hear us. Not above anyone! In 3 1/2 years, we've never got a complaint from the manager concerning anything. Our last apartment complex we lived in for 10 1/2 years, again, not a single complaint from manager or residents. That definitely tells me, we AREN'T the problem. The last complex we lived in was mostly older adults, definitely not real young adults like here.

We were buying a house once and found out very fast how much maintaining the house can cost. Add monthly mortgage to that and the cost is high. I had to drive 28 miles, each way, to work, before I retired on SS. We had noise problems there also. Dogs barking next door in the backyard and two gigantic Woods Owls "hooting" at 2AM.

Respect and consideration is what we like, but, most of the time, definitely don't get!

Old 02-27-2023, 10:33 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I think you need to move somewhere w/better quality builds, insulation, thicker walls, etc.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think you need to move somewhere w/better quality builds, insulation, thicker walls, etc.
But, how can a potential new resident know this or find this out? Where we currently live, a tour of an apartment generally isn't done. Because there was a someone already living in the apartment we are now in, we could only go by online pictures. Actually, we applied for, and got the apartment we are in online. Same thing we will do when we move again.

Sometime a person can tell if an apartment complex is ok, by driving thru it. We did drive thru a complex in Concord, NC that looked like a dump. Seriously! All kinds of kids toys sitting outside the front doors, that isn't allowed where we are now. Cigarette butts all over the parking area. Just looked like a dump.

Can't ask a manager much about the complex. Most have their hands tied at how much they can tell. As far as the inside of an apartment, not much can me found out until the new resident moves in. There are complexes that a person can tell a lot about just by driving thru, but when looking online, it's a "toss of the coin". As far as noise goes, can't tell much until a person moves in.

As for safety, we have an indoor security camera that is hooked up to our iPhones, sitting on the bar and faces the front door. Plans are there to get an outdoor camera to put above the front door of our next apartment. We never rent in a "cheaper" area of anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting