Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 04:16 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

First, we are in our mid 70's and can't afford to live in a 55 Plus Community/Apartments and we can't afford to buy another house. Had one, but sold it when we moved out of the state. We can only live on a bottom floor (1st floor) due to my hip replacement and our age. Even when we did live in a "Bungalow" type (one level), still had problems:
Barking dogs
Young neighbors that had a mother-in-law over in the evening to smoke something on their patio at 12 midnight. Looked like a large vapor pipe. Their patio, on the first floor, faced our back patio and master bedroom. At midnight, they were talking like it was 2PM in the afternoon. I had to get my high-beam flashlight, go out on our patio, point it towards them and ask them to be quieter. Anyone would think they'd know that there are those, like my wife, that had to get up in the morning for work.

Seems like we've always had problems with some, but thank God not all, young folks that have lived above us. Running across their floor/our ceiling playing with their dog or whatever they were doing.
One lady that lived above us had a couple of young kids. She worked, but left the kids by themselves. The kids would jump off of the couch onto the floor and wrestle around. WWF sort of stuff.

But, no matter what kind of noise it is, people that live above others should have respect and consideration for those that live below them. Those that have barking dogs, even if it is "separation anxiety", need to do something about it's barking.

I truly believe there are those that just simply don't care how much noise they make and, if encountered by a neighbor will say, "if you don't like it, move!"

This coming summer we are moving again.........out of "Old Man Winter" and hopefully............

Old 02-25-2023, 06:39 PM

268 posts, read 271,792 times
It might not be that they don't care, but that they don't realize they're making noise. My neighbor commented to me one day about how quiet it was in our complex and that she never hears me. I told her it was because I don't own a TV, don't play loud music, don't stomp around with my shoes on, don't slam doors and I keep my voice down on purpose, unlike some people. She just went "oh", but it's sure been quieter from her side since then.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:33 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
First, we are in our mid 70's and can't afford to live in a 55 Plus Community/Apartments and we can't afford to buy another house.
Think back to when you were 21.

Your mission in life was to accumulate significant assets & investments such that once you reached your mid-70s you are financially secure, you are not a burden on society, and you can indeed to live pretty much wherever you want (within reason) to enjoy your golden years - at the very least live in a 55 Plus community.

It sounds like you failed.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Think back to when you were 21.

Your mission in life was to accumulate significant assets & investments such that once you reached your mid-70s you are financially secure, you are not a burden on society, and you can indeed to live pretty much wherever you want (within reason) to enjoy your golden years - at the very least live in a 55 Plus community.

It sounds like you failed.
First, when I turned 21, I was still in the U.S. Navy onboard a ship.

There are those that are able to stay on a job for years upon years and those that get laid-off, company/business closes or the person/people simply want to move to a new location and have to quit their job. All of this happened to both my wife and I, before we met and since.

And, to a point, there are those that will do anything a company asks them to do, so they can stay with the company. I was never like that! Working 60 plus hours a week, oh heck no! No traveling either. Only day-shift, nothing else!

As for myself, for years I got stuck in the low-paying warehouse/shipping/receiving/stockroom positions, until I finally broke into Purchasing and Inventory Management.

But, the way I see it, there are those Seniors that have to live off of SS and savings and can't afford the 55 Plus Community, like us. Those Seniors still deserve the "Respect & Consideration" where ever they live!

Old 02-26-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
It might not be that they don't care, but that they don't realize they're making noise. My neighbor commented to me one day about how quiet it was in our complex and that she never hears me. I told her it was because I don't own a TV, don't play loud music, don't stomp around with my shoes on, don't slam doors and I keep my voice down on purpose, unlike some people. She just went "oh", but it's sure been quieter from her side since then.
Well, I definitely wouldn't say that ("they don't realize"). Why? Because, they know that we live below them. There is a small Dog Park in our complex, so they don't have to play with their dog in their apartment. They knew their dining room chairs were making noise when they moved them. The young girl told me that they were getting non-marring things to attach to the bottom of each chair. Guess they did it, because we no longer hear their chairs when they leave their table.

Perhaps they don't know that we can hear their bed when they are having sex. Their bed is right above our bedroom. But, just how do you mention to an "above" neighbor you hear their bed when they are having sex?

As far as their dog barking, we don't know if it will happen again. It happened when they left the dog alone. My wife can't concentrate on her job with a dog constantly barking. We said that to the manager in an e-mail, but never heard back. If it happens again, when both of them leave for work, we'll send the manager another message about it. All of the carpet was taken out of their apartment and, like already mentioned, linoleum flooring was put in. Carpet is much quieter.

As far as "us" goes, we've never received any complaints about noise in the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. We keep our tv to a normal volume and also have TV Ears (brand name) to use if we can't hear what's being said in a movie or program. We live on bottom floor, so, even if we did run around or whatever, nobody would hear us.

We've had two different residents that lived above us and we never heard them at all! No floor noise, tv noise or anything.

Old 02-26-2023, 09:20 AM

And, I forgot to mention this: The couple, he's 85 and she's a little younger, who moved into the apartment on the other side of us, use to live in a 55 Plus, but it got too expensive for them. Their one daughter told me that, as her and her sisters were helping them move in. They had lived in this complex years ago. Actually, their kitchen is right next to our bedroom (master bedroom), but they create very little noise. In bed by 10, like we are. The young couple that lived in the apartment before them, had two dogs that loved to bark and he was sort of a "night owl". They moved due to a rent-raise.

The complex seems to draw in lots and lots of Generation Z (up to 25) and Millennials (26-40). It's like a magnet for those age groups here, but the complex is the best looking one around this area.

One thing for sure, and we noticed this for the last 3 1/2 years we've lived in this city, no Seniors move here (that we have talked to).

Old 02-26-2023, 09:49 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Sounds like you are looking for Housing in the Wrong Places. 1st Most 55+ communities Go by Your Income! Unless you are wanting the Buy then that is another story. But you are in the Wrong Forum for that information as this is Renting Forum

Now Before you plan your Next move... Go to the HUD office in the area you want to live in & Apply! While there Ask for the local List of Apts For the 55+ set! Now don't be surprised Handicap younger folks are also allowed to live there & Visitors of All Ages are welcome!

Let me know how Quiet it Really is when you get there! I lived in such Apts those Elderly folks BLAST TVs Radios Talk Loud Sit in common areas gossiping be nosey about the coming & goings I lasted 3 months moved back in with my son!!

Old 02-26-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like you are looking for Housing in the Wrong Places. 1st Most 55+ communities Go by Your Income! Unless you are wanting the Buy then that is another story. But you are in the Wrong Forum for that information as this is Renting Forum

Now Before you plan your Next move... Go to the HUD office in the area you want to live in & Apply! While there Ask for the local List of Apts For the 55+ set! Now don't be surprised Handicap younger folks are also allowed to live there & Visitors of All Ages are welcome!

Let me know how Quiet it Really is when you get there! I lived in such Apts those Elderly folks BLAST TVs Radios Talk Loud Sit in common areas gossiping be nosey about the coming & goings I lasted 3 months moved back in with my son!!
Well, Katie, first, if (big "if") my wife keeps her current "at home" job, which is a Temp one, she is/will be making too much money ($90K) per year for HUD. And, besides that, HUD housing isn't the best! Actually, my MIL (wife's mother) was on HUD and lived in a nice HUD complex (which is very rare). However, HUD changed their income limit and she lost HUD. Soon after that, she died.

We have the 85 year old couple living to the one side of us and they are pretty darn quiet. Sometimes we will hear them in their kitchen, because their kitchen is right next to the bedroom we sleep in. But, not bad.

There is a 77 year old lady that lived behind us and, sometimes we hear her when she is on her phone or in her kitchen.

But, the reason for the noise coming from both of these neighbors is because the walls are so dang thin!

As far as "gossiping" goes, I think all Seniors have that right! Some will do it and some won't. I have a friendly personality and love to talk, so I'd probably be considered a "gossiper" also. I can also be a loud talker, because of what I did as a career. People don't whisper working in a warehouse!

Old 02-26-2023, 02:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Respect and consideration goes both ways. You are renters.

With a 90k job your wife may want to get a set of good headphones to cancel out noise.

Old 02-26-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Respect and consideration goes both ways. You are renters.

With a 90k job your wife may want to get a set of good headphones to cancel out noise.
We know that and do show both! We aren’t the problem! Just too many people that
live in an apartment simply don’t care about the others that live around them. The young couple that now live above us, know that we do and, in some ways, just don’t care. Thankfully, we’ve had neighbors above us that were extremely quiet.

Some people are considerate that live in apartments and some just don’t give a crap!

As far as my wife and headphones, we shouldn’t be the ones to change! A barking dog is very annoying when working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting