Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 AM

400 posts, read 366,047 times

Advertisements

This is my last question about affordable housing. I am hoping someone can provide information about the difference between the two. There is a property in my city that is income restricted, however it is a luxury type apartment. I have also noticed that the rents don't seem to be that much affordable than your every day market units. How does some of the units being income restricted really benefit low to middle income households when they are about the same as market units.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 10:21 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Sounds like you are asking about Tax Credit. https://www.bing.com/search?q=tax+cr...433cb5e9e24db5

Old 03-13-2023, 07:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
There are dozens of different requirements by dozens of different entities that fall under the term use "income restricted".

We have some income restricted units. These set-asides were required as a condition of approving the reduction of market housing units through a conversion to luxury housing units. We essentially were asking to remove the lower income tenants, reduce the number of units by combining some into larger units, and raising rents to the top of the market. As a condition of allowing us proceed with the conversion project, they required that we set-aside 8% of the rental units as income restricted housing. However, the rents are still at asking rates just the amount a person pays is based on their income.

On paper, the rent is full value, just a loss is declared based on the difference from the asking rent to the reduce rent paid. Another advantage to maintaining full asking rental rates is the amount per month is just too high for any government voucher type program.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Income restricted might not actually be for low income. The restriction might be something like the apartment is for people who don't earn any more than 10% over the median income for the area. If lots of folks have high income, the median income might be fairly generous. Each city is going to have their own regulations about it and it is very unlikely that restricted income housing is going to be for Section 8 and welfare tenants.

Also, income restricted apartments generally only have a few of the units that are income restricted. The rest of the units are at market rate.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I have lived in two apartment communities where every apartment was income restricted. I had lived in a section 8 community years ago. They’re just regular apartments. Both required filling in lots of paperwork proving our income every year until COVID hit and haven’t had to do it if it was the same. I’’m not sure how they are different from the LIHTC (whatever that means?). Is that a tax credit for the landlords for providing units for lower income tenants?

Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Income restricted might not actually be for low income.
And that is the underlying misunderstanding many have. They think that the term "income restricted" means low income or low rents. It just means that income limits have been placed on the applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting