Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times

Advertisements

As human beings we exercise discretion on a daily basis. Which apple do I pick to buy at the store? What route to drive. Which kids will I take in the carpool? What kind of dog fits my wants? What hobbies, what clubs?

More seriously, what schools am I willing to pay tuition for my child to attend? Which neighborhood will I buy a house in? Etc. etc.

Op has every right as a parent ~ and actually the responsibility ~ to determine where and with whom her daughter should reside.

Its incredibly offensive when someone joins a thread to merely become oppositional and argumentative. OP has clearly stated the decision that her student daughter resides with other female students and its offensive to me that choice continues to be challenged by a poster here to seemingly enjoy playing with the OP’s position as a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 9,753 times
I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread.
We contacted the management and basically our choices were to pay the "relet" fee of $500 (and still be responsible for all the payments until somebody is found to rent the apartment) or upgrade to a studio apartment (for additional $400 a month).
Taking everything into consideration, we opted for the second option.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:37 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
As human beings we exercise discretion on a daily basis. Which apple do I pick to buy at the store? What route to drive. Which kids will I take in the carpool? What kind of dog fits my wants? What hobbies, what clubs?

More seriously, what schools am I willing to pay tuition for my child to attend? Which neighborhood will I buy a house in? Etc. etc.

Op has every right as a parent ~ and actually the responsibility ~ to determine where and with whom her daughter should reside.

Its incredibly offensive when someone joins a thread to merely become oppositional and argumentative. OP has clearly stated the decision that her student daughter resides with other female students and its offensive to me that choice continues to be challenged by a poster here to seemingly enjoy playing with the OP’s position as a parent.
Oh, stop. These places aren't supposed to be echo chambers. If you come here for opinions, you should be prepared that sometimes those opinions might not agree with yours.

Further, OP has no more "rights" and "responsibilities" at this point. Daughter is an adult. Op can advise. Op can help. But Op no longer has "rights" and "responsibilities."

Old 03-27-2023, 06:04 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,808,499 times
Sounds like both the OP, and his adult kid, are getting an education.

Who says you don't learn anything in college! LOL.

OP, next time you send a kid off to college, you BUY a condo near the school so you can rent it out to students. This gives you more control over who the tenants are. Then, when she graduates, you either sell the condo or keep collecting rent from the next crop of student's parents. Call it a "cash cow."

Old 03-27-2023, 08:41 AM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sounds like both the OP, and his adult kid, are getting an education.

Who says you don't learn anything in college! LOL.

OP, next time you send a kid off to college, you BUY a condo near the school so you can rent it out to students. This gives you more control over who the tenants are. Then, when she graduates, you either sell the condo or keep collecting rent from the next crop of student's parents. Call it a "cash cow."
?? Do you not know how crazy the housing market is right now??

Old 04-21-2023, 09:52 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Your DD is Old enough to know what going on around her. Not some just out of HS teen! sheesh its about time You cut the cord!

Old 04-22-2023, 10:31 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjur View Post
To answer couple of questions
1. This is not a joint lease. Each girl signed separately. My daughter joined (got in contact with girls via an app) the last.
2. This wouldn't have been a problem if the other two girls signed on for the next year (which they promised). I guess live and learn and never trust... The other girls simply didn't sign the next year lease - there was nothing for them "to get out of". They found alternate accommodation. This was quite a shock to my daughter as she thought they were going to sign the next day.

3. The apartment complex heavily advertised as being student apartment complex (in a typical college town - so this didn't raise any eyebrows). It didn't dawn on us, until too late, that they rent to and could put literally anybody in her apartment.

>you rented a room in a rooming house
well not really , it is a bedroom/bathroom combo in a 3 bedroom apartment. The complex has 100s apartments such as this one. Actually a rooming house would be better, because that assumes a large space with lots of people and lots of individual rooms. This is worse - very close and personal with the other two people.

I really don't mind breaking the lease, as I couldn't care less about my credit score (I was a 'guarantor'), but it will also go on her record for quite a few years, so this is what I am trying to avoid.
Kids are freaking flaky as hell these days - we just went thru sophomore housing selection for my DD and the amount of kids reneging on their commitments to others is unreal. Didn't happen to DD but saw it happening over and over and over again.

So this is another conundrum for your daughter - even if she finds someone to live in the apartment with her, unless she sees them witness the lease being signed they could flake out on her.

Second, this is a cautionary tale for college housing - my son lives in an apartment house in Raleigh that's not owned by his university, but it says on their website and in the lease that it's for students at NC State only. If you leave the university you must leave your apartment.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:58 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,256,403 times
I've seen several of the UT 'student housing' complexes in Austin... and I wouldn't have wanted to live there for free... never mind the stupid rent they charge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting