Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 10:21 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

I just rented out a unit.
My ad on Zillow was rated as outstanding covering all the details of the unit, amenities, financial requirements, pics, etc.
I got a lot of people asking me to tell them about the property or what the requirements for renting are.
People are lazy, stupid, or both. I’m not sure how they function in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 10:22 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I just rented out a unit.
My ad on Zillow was rated as outstanding covering all the details of the unit, amenities, financial requirements, pics, etc.
I got a lot of people asking me to tell them about the property or what the requirements for renting are.
People are lazy, stupid, or both. I’m not sure how they function in life.
How is people asking for details equal them being lazy?

Old 05-16-2023, 10:27 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It means they did not take the effort to read the ad when all of those details are right there in the ad.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Because all the details were written in the ad.
Zillow rates your description and info you write for completeness and mine was rated outstanding.
If someone asks a specific question not covered in the ad I get that. But a general “tell me more about the property” or “what are the requirements to move in” when it was written in the ad tells me a lot about that person.
I’ve been a landlord for 40 years and know what tenants want to know so I cover that in the ads.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:24 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Good news! Application #5 was approved, we have a signed lease with deposit and first month’s rent for June 1st effective date.

This applicant:
*has a 789 credit score
*provided proof of income
*provided proof of paying past 12 months housing
*has no history of felonies
*has good reason for moving!

Finally, almost 6 months vacant….but this one passes.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:39 PM

862 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you missed the point .

there is no way to screen other then their credit and back ground check ….you don’t know if they will figure it out or can figure it out until after the fact .

my tenants were excellent for 3 years but a divorce and him leaving left her in bad shape ..eventually she fell behind .

so unless you have a crystal ball you don’t know what you don’t know
Except I screen for that. I have income standards which at least one person must meet, on their own. So if/when they break up the one can afford to stay stays.

I have had cases of unforeseen circumstances and I have a very reasonable early termination fee for those who may need to move before the end of the lease term. When you pick high quality folks from the get go you don’t get issues. The two times I let people out early (one wanted to buy a house and asked if it was ok first) and the other had a jib relocation. Both tenants were excellent to deal with, bent over backwards so I could find a new tenant to replace them. In the case where the tenant bought a home I wasn’t even in town and expressed how important it was for the home to be left in move-in-condition as I was selling it. They worked directly with my realtor. My realtor told me it was the cleanest house they had ever seen and they left it in perfect condition. I listed it for sale and it sold in one day. I just know how to pick good tenants.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:03 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Except I screen for that. I have income standards which at least one person must meet, on their own. So if/when they break up the one can afford to stay stays.

I have had cases of unforeseen circumstances and I have a very reasonable early termination fee for those who may need to move before the end of the lease term. When you pick high quality folks from the get go you don’t get issues. The two times I let people out early (one wanted to buy a house and asked if it was ok first) and the other had a jib relocation. Both tenants were excellent to deal with, bent over backwards so I could find a new tenant to replace them. In the case where the tenant bought a home I wasn’t even in town and expressed how important it was for the home to be left in move-in-condition as I was selling it. They worked directly with my realtor. My realtor told me it was the cleanest house they had ever seen and they left it in perfect condition. I listed it for sale and it sold in one day. I just know how to pick good tenants.
How do you screen for a possible divorce? Even if one of them can afford to stay that doesnt mean that that one would stay.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:22 AM

862 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:
How do you screen for a possible divorce? Even if one of them can afford to stay that doesnt mean that that one would stay.
Well I’ve been doing this since 1986, so 37 years and had three dozen plus homes at one point and in my experience that is what always happens. When they have good income and good credit they don’t want to jeopardize that.

Early on when my income standards allowed folks to combine income to qualify it was easy to see that doesn’t work for the exact reason you stated. It only took one time and my qualification standards were changed. So while sure it is possible to happen, the odds are very low that it will. It significantly mitigates your risk.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Good news! Application #5 was approved, we have a signed lease with deposit and first month’s rent for June 1st effective date.

This applicant:
*has a 789 credit score
*provided proof of income
*provided proof of paying past 12 months housing
*has no history of felonies
*has good reason for moving!

Finally, almost 6 months vacant….but this one passes.
Sounds like a winner. Why did it take so long? Was the market not good?

Old 05-28-2023, 04:39 AM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Sell it.

You're way too anal in your qualifiers.

I have an 800 score and I can afford to buy your house for cash but I wouldn't qualify to rent from you. My income is from social security and my Pit Bull is neither neutered nor vaccinated. He wants a doggy door and a fully enclosed yard so he can come and go as he pleases.

I expect it's a good thing you don't have to rent. Pretty much anywhere.

Been a long time since I rented anywhere, but I don't see anything out of line with the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting