Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 09:02 AM

71 posts, read 49,798 times

Advertisements

My landlord is a nationwide conglomerate and they recently decided to institute a new policy to require that all pets be registered with an outside company for a $25 fee. I adopted my dog after I moved in and was broken into 3 times. My dog's records from his recent yearly exam are in the possession of the landlord, including his photo. I'm being told I have to pay and submit all his info again. I checked the Pet Screening website and learned this program is being promoted to landlords to increase their revenue. It has nothing to do with our pets and their care. It's a money grab. I'm packing and putting all of my things in storage while waiting to see what happens next. I tried and tried to be a good girl and fill out that online form but just couldn't do it. It's all redundant. What's next, registering your children? I see warning signs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 09:20 AM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkysunshine View Post
What's next, registering your children?
Yeah, they're called birth certificates.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:26 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Pets are not a protected class; family status is.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Yeah, they're called birth certificates.
Haha. Many people don't register the birth. Avoiding govt interference in your life takes work. When you get a state issued marriage licence you make the state the 3rd party to your marriage.
That's why celebs don't marry and when they have kids they can raise them as they please.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Pets are not a protected class; family status is.
The new landlord issued a multi page directive stating that they would enter an apt without giving notice any time they wanted. I sent her a reply telling her that many tenants, including the elderly were armed and surprising someone could be deadly for her. I have a Chiweenie who is protective. Some of my neighbors have much larger dogs. Some have 3 or 4. Let the games begin!

Old 04-29-2023, 10:37 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
So, give your notice and go and live somewhere else.

Pets need to be screened just like people to keep out the ones who cause damage and lawsuits. Try looking for an apartment down in the slums where tenants are not screened and repairs aren't done. You can have our dog there without screening, and probably without permission.

If you had a little dog who was protective, you'd have to leave any rental that belongs to me. I'm not taking the chances that your ill behaved dog might bite someone and get me sued.

And incidentally, while children are allowed in rentals, they must be registered as residents. The landlord has a right to know who is living in his property.

Also, legally, your dog is supposed to be registered with your county with proof of current rabies vaccination.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 04-29-2023 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-29-2023, 12:18 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkysunshine View Post
The new landlord issued a multi page directive stating that they would enter an apt without giving notice any time they wanted.

I would be shocked if this was legal in any of the 50 states.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:37 PM

268 posts, read 271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
I would be shocked if this was legal in any of the 50 states.
Landlords in all states may enter a rental property without providing notice to deal with a real emergency (an urgent and significant danger to health, safety, or property) or when the tenant has abandoned the property.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say they probably missed the "emergency" part when reading the paperwork they were given.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:54 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
What a bizarre thread title. Care to explain it?

Old 04-29-2023, 03:18 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
What a bizarre thread title. Care to explain it?

It has something to do with being on the bus line, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting