Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2024, 08:54 AM

23,182 posts, read 26,332,998 times

Advertisements

Concerning the landlord buying back remainder of heating fuel...he wants to only give me todays price which is much lower than when I paid for it.
I can see this both ways. Which should prevail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2024, 09:02 AM

32,790 posts, read 48,595,592 times
I'm surprised he will buy it back at all. Most landlords won't. Take todays price and be glad you got it and be happy that your landlord is so generous.

Old 06-11-2024, 09:31 AM

23,182 posts, read 26,332,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm surprised he will buy it back at all. Most landlords won't. Take todays price and be glad you got it and be happy that your landlord is so generous.
Generous? It would be unjust enrichment if LL just "keeps" it (and then probably make new tenant buy it)
As for the original question, forget it. I just realized, relating it to anything else, no one would pay more for something they could currently buy for less, regardless of how much the "seller" paid for it.

Last edited by old_cold; 06-11-2024 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-11-2024, 10:56 AM

140 posts, read 92,827 times
What were the terms of your Rental Agreement? Pricing should have been addressed. How much did you pay for what was in the tank at that time? Absent written details, current market would be reasonable.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:07 AM

14,790 posts, read 12,444,580 times
It is customary at time of home SALE to credit the fuel in tanks back to the seller... I'm pretty sure they use current value. Price can vary between suppliers, so I don't know what would happen if a party contested the price, or could find a better price than that offered by the title company. It's usually a fairly small line item in a home transaction, I've never seen anyone try to argue it.

I'm pretty confident you would never get the price you paid if the price has gone down.

Old 06-11-2024, 10:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,445,959 times
Maybe tell them you will be paid what you paid or maybe you will just cut the line and let it run out on to the floor... that would teach them a lesson for sure,,,

Old 06-12-2024, 06:54 AM

13,176 posts, read 21,225,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Maybe tell them you will be paid what you paid or maybe you will just cut the line and let it run out on to the floor... that would teach them a lesson for sure,,,
Pretty stupid suggestion!

You would be facing a 10 year federal prison sentence for that willful act, plus the State of Florida can hit you with an additional 4 years and the full cost of cleanup. Florida is not against bankrupting a person over environmental cleanup cost.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

2,612 posts, read 2,227,067 times
From what I've heard with fuel tanks at the end of a lease, at least it's how it's done in Minnesota for the mist part. You received the property with a full tank, you leave it with a full tank. Kind of like rental cars. If the tank isn't full when the renter leaves the owner has the tank filled and charges that against the deposit and/or bills the renter for the amount it took to fill tank.

Last edited by Izzie1213; Today at 10:20 AM..

Old Today, 07:11 PM

23,664 posts, read 19,483,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
From what I've heard with fuel tanks at the end of a lease, at least it's how it's done in Minnesota for the mist part. You received the property with a full tank, you leave it with a full tank. Kind of like rental cars. If the tank isn't full when the renter leaves the owner has the tank filled and charges that against the deposit and/or bills the renter for the amount it took to fill tank.
This is how all my LLs did it. The tenant paid to have the tank refilled upon departure. They would pay whatever the current rate happened to be, no worrying about some previous or current price or value. They'd have to pay the same price if they were still living there. If the tenant couldn't arrange to fill the tank at departure for some reason, the LL would have it filled using the tenant's deposit (agreed upon in advance). No futzing over buying back anything. Sounds needlessly complicated; a headache.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting