Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Landlords and tenants can be totally different like night and day. Please don't feel we are grouping all LL's together. We are trying to be specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM

64 posts, read 149,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Wow, why hasn't someone else said this to me before? What I'm going to do is give my landlord 30 days notice first thing tomorrow, I have $300,000 just burning a hole in my wallet so I'll go ahead and buy a home. Thanks for helping, I never would have thought of this without someone like you.
lol great post j760

Old 08-10-2008, 03:07 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Private landlords often got big heads from intentions to make crazy amounts of money renting properties out. They're not experienced in property management, don't understand what it entails and didn't properly do their research.
No, I think it's you don't make that big of a profit as a LL and when the renter moves and you keep their $600.00 deposit for the $3700.00 worth of damage they did and can't understand why you wont give it back to them. You ask for their new address so you can send them a bill for the balance of the cost of repairs and they wont give it to you.

It's a waste of time taking them to small claims court, because even when you win you will never collect, then are out another $150.00 court filing fees.

Or maybe it's the renter that breaks their lease only four months into the lease.

Maybe it's the renter that signs a lease allowing four people to live there and there always seems to eight or more people there...but it's hard to prove they are living there.

I could go on but I'll stop..

Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No, I think it's you don't make that big of a profit as a LL and when the renter moves and you keep their $600.00 deposit for the $3700.00 worth of damage they did and can't understand why you wont give it back to them. You ask for their new address so you can send them a bill for the balance of the cost of repairs and they wont give it to you.

It's a waste of time taking them to small claims court, because even when you win you will never collect, then are out another $150.00 court filing fees.

Or maybe it's the renter that breaks their lease only four months into the lease.

Maybe it's the renter that signs a lease allowing four people to live there and there always seems to eight or more people there...but it's hard to prove they are living there.

I could go on but I'll stop..
I'm wondering if this is really the norm. We rented a house that the LL owns free and clear. They profited $58,500 from us. We did not renew the lease for a number a reasons--including they raised the rent 10% claiming that we are their source of income and their bills increased because of our lease and the fact that they were impossible to deal with. When we didn't renew, we were badgered and then made comments to us flat out saying that we were losers. Now that we have moved out, they are blaming any issues while we lived there on us (plumbing problems caused by tenant not installing water treatment system but tenant not told and is not listed in lease). They are being advised by their son, a surrogacy attorney, and were pretty vicious to my husband--disagreeing (with the realtor) that paint and carpet is normal wear and tear and wanting us to replace this, in addition to re-landscaping their yard (have pictures that prove land dead spots were there before we moved in) and charging us $100/pot for plants that died during the lease, and new plumbing on the house during the move-out inspection. They are also blaming us for difficulties with their homeowners insurance (because it is our fault that they were trying to beat the system and claim the home as their primary residence and got caught and in trouble) and saying that in the 35 or so years they lived there, they never had the problems that we did while we lived there and our children must have done illicit things to their home. They are with holding almost $10k from us, including our $1500 pet deposit. We are not going to small claims court--this is beyond that. We hired an attorney ourselves and are just going after them because no one should get away with what they are attempting.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
If the $58,500 is the rent that you paid for a roof over our head, they did not profit from you. If you were leasing a car, would the bank profit from the monies you paid?

you entered into a lease and in that, you agreed to pay the rent monthly. It is not your business if they have a mortgage or not.
If the landlord owns it free and clear, should you live there for free?? Someone owns the property and by renting, you agree to pay a certain amount of money. I own one property free and clear, but I still have to pay the taxes, insurance and also the liablilty of having a tenant and her children live there.
Contrary to most opinions, us landlords do not earn a huge amount on a monthly basis.
d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I'm wondering if this is really the norm. We rented a house that the LL owns free and clear. They profited $58,500 from us. We did not renew the lease for a number a reasons--including they raised the rent 10% claiming that we are their source of income and their bills increased because of our lease and the fact that they were impossible to deal with. When we didn't renew, we were badgered and then made comments to us flat out saying that we were losers. Now that we have moved out, they are blaming any issues while we lived there on us (plumbing problems caused by tenant not installing water treatment system but tenant not told and is not listed in lease). They are being advised by their son, a surrogacy attorney, and were pretty vicious to my husband--disagreeing (with the realtor) that paint and carpet is normal wear and tear and wanting us to replace this, in addition to re-landscaping their yard (have pictures that prove land dead spots were there before we moved in) and charging us $100/pot for plants that died during the lease, and new plumbing on the house during the move-out inspection. They are also blaming us for difficulties with their homeowners insurance (because it is our fault that they were trying to beat the system and claim the home as their primary residence and got caught and in trouble) and saying that in the 35 or so years they lived there, they never had the problems that we did while we lived there and our children must have done illicit things to their home. They are with holding almost $10k from us, including our $1500 pet deposit. We are not going to small claims court--this is beyond that. We hired an attorney ourselves and are just going after them because no one should get away with what they are attempting.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 175,885 times
I've had some horrible landlords, wonderful landlords and some that were in between. I think it's the same way with tenants too.

I'm thinking of buying some rental property and I'm doing as much research as I can beforehand into learning how to weed out problem tenants, but I know that I will have to deal with bad ones eventually.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
They always arent. I prefer most private owners than going through a rental agency who wants all your life history, background, credit ratings, blood type, mothers maiden names, etc. Most that Ive rented from dont go that far out of the way to get renters in there.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
I also check court records online and check with the state entity that handles complaints about landlords. You could also check with your local law enforcement agency to see if any complaints have been registered with them.
This was a great post, but could you possibly tell me how I can check court records online? And maybe exactly how I check with the law enforcement agency? Do I just call the police line? I've had a bad experience with a previous landlord, and I'm very nervous about renting from a person (as opposed to an agency) again.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 AM

8 posts, read 18,637 times
Default bad landlords bad tenants

Of course I can relate the opposite experience as a private landlord. I am also a clinical therapist and I can tell you, without a doubt, that the people that I treat in therapy are MUCH more sane than the tenants that I have come in contact with over the past 28 years. There have been a few good tenants but in all, most by nature seem to have alot of dysfunctional, downright mentally ill behaviors and styles. It is simple all I ask is pay rent or leave, the combination of not paying rent and staying just doesnt work for me and trusting ANYBODY is a real mistake. bank presidents, good credit, bad credit, derilicts, yuppies makes no difference. When we were renters we did everything to improve the house because we took pride in where we lived. I see NONE of that sentiment with any of my tenants (there are a few exceptions) but by and large they seem to be people who just want to "crash" at a place and because it isn't theres they don't care about it at all.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM

74 posts, read 236,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
What makes you think I've never rented before? Don't assume that I don't know about the bad situations that SOME renters go through or that I haven't been there myself.
Mommbear2, from your comments and backlashes (responces to comments) you make on these threads you come across very insensitive to others. That's great you've had the luxury to rent and now own a home. But tomorrow is not promised to any of us. So lighten up off others ... you don't know what your down fall may be. I'm pretty sure you'd want others to be sensitive and empathetic towards you and your situation. Rest assure your will come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting