Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
First you advertised your house for rent ; add to the advert that section 8 accepted. Then when you have a potential section 8 tenant, she fills in some paperwork, you fill other paperwork ; usually the tenant will pick up all the paperwork. The tenant needs to do this because she needs to get permission form the section 8 housing to move.

Then a few weeks go by and section 8 housing inspectors come to inspect the house. They give you a list of repairs ; mainly safety ; like smoke detectors in al bedrooms, top of stairs etc.

Then another few weeks go by and voila ; the tenant can move in.

d
Does anyone know if it is legal for me to advertise, "Sorry, no section 8 accepted"? I am getting a lot of response to my ad asking about section 8 and I am not interested because I am just renting out my house for a short time till the house sale market improves. I may want to put my house back on the market next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM

231 posts, read 157,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
I'm not looking to buy, I am just curious how one random section 8 house can end up in the middle of a subdivision.
More than you'll ever know. My family is three generations into the Realty business, and I feel sorry for anybody who thinks that paying a bunch of money is going to keep you away from poor folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Does anyone know if it is legal for me to advertise, "Sorry, no section 8 accepted"?
You may want to check on state laws. I know that you can't say something like "No welfare" or "no SSI," because those are sources of income. Section 8, on the other hand, isn't. So it's okay to say "No Section 8." Double check that, but I'm 98% sure I'm right. On the other hand, you may be under the same tenant laws as someone who owns an apartment complex - and with that, the answer would be no. You see a bunch of "no section 8" ads, of course, but that doesn't make them legal.

Last edited by JHusseinMoore; 07-20-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I agree with the poster above... check local laws... but I see this "No section 8" ALL the time in the local paper, Craigslist, etc.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
If you are not approved to accept Sec 8 housing then you can not take Sec 8 tenants so you can certainly say no Sec 8.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. As you can see, I am new at this ...

Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you are not approved to accept Sec 8 housing then you can not take Sec 8 tenants so you can certainly say no Sec 8.
True... if a unit fails to meet minimum HUD HQS (Housing Quality Standards) no HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) contract can be initiated.

HQS standards can be as simple as every room having a window or door with a screen... no screens, no Section 8.

The Oakland Housing Authority also requires a working Stove and Refrigerator be in the unit at the time of inspection... technically the Owner DOES NOT have to furnish... but that means the Tenant has to have them in place and working in a unit that the tenant does not or may never have a Rental Agreement.

Also, if the rent requested is more than the allowable local housing authority Rent Guideline for home size... there can be no Section 8 Rental.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
True... if a unit fails to meet minimum HUD HQS (Housing Quality Standards) no HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) contract can be initiated.

HQS standards can be as simple as every room having a window or door with a screen... no screens, no Section 8.

The Oakland Housing Authority also requires a working Stove and Refrigerator be in the unit at the time of inspection... technically the Owner DOES NOT have to furnish... but that means the Tenant has to have them in place and working in a unit that the tenant does not or may never have a Rental Agreement.

Also, if the rent requested is more than the allowable local housing authority Rent Guideline for home size... there can be no Section 8 Rental.
It is much easier than that. If the owner has not applied and approved to be Sec. 8 they can not be forced to do so.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM

I guess it sounds like my ad can read, "sorry, not approved for section 8".

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It is much easier than that. If the owner has not applied and approved to be Sec. 8 they can not be forced to do so.
There is no owner application required or needed for units within the City of Oakland under Section 8.

The Oakland Housing authority does require the owner/manager's permission to conduct a move-in inspection though... and the unit must pass before "Request for Lease Approval" can be processed.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There is no owner application required or needed for units within the City of Oakland under Section 8.

The Oakland Housing authority does require the owner/manager's permission to conduct a move-in inspection though... and the unit must pass before "Request for Lease Approval" can be processed.
To be honest I am not familiar with Oakland but it seems they would still need to fill out this form.

But the crux of it is no one can be forced to rent Sec.8 from what I know.

OHA
1805 Harrison Street
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 587-2100
LH0501 04/05
Payment and Ownership Declaration Form
This form is required to establish or change ownership and agent information for OHA Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments.
Tenant’s Name:__________________________ Rental Property Address:______________________________
(Please print)
I. Legal Owner Information
Legal Owner’s Name(s):__________________________________, __________________________________
(as it appears on the Grant Deed)
__________________________________, ________________________________
Social Security Number or Tax I.D. Number of Legal Owner: ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Owner’s Residence Address: __________________________________________________ ____
(No. P.O. Box or Work Address)
__________________________________________________ ____
Owner’s Mailing Address:
_______________________________________ Primary Phone: ( ) __________________
(A P.O. Box can be used as a mailing address)
_______________________________________ Secondary Phone: ( )________________
_______________________________________ Fax: ( ) ___________________________
_______________________________________ E-mail: ______________________________
II. Agent/Manager Information (Copy of Agent/ Management Agreement must be provided to OHA)
Agent’s Name(s):_____________________________________ Primary Phone: ( ) __________________
_______________________________________ Secondary Phone: ( )________________
Address: _______________________________________ Fax: ( ) ___________________________
(A P.O. Box may be used as a mailing address)
____________________________________ E-mail:_______________________________
Social Security Number or Taxpayer I.D. Number of Agent: ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
III. Payment and Correspondence Designation
Send Payments to (check one): □ Owner □ Agent
Send correspondence to (check one): □ Owner □ Agent
IV: SSN/TIN Certification and Authorization
The Name and Social Security /Tax I.D Number of the person or entity receiving payments must match the
information on the IRS W-9 form and OHA’s Direct Deposit sign up form to prevent a delay in payment. IRS 1099
statements will be mailed at the end of the year in the name of the person receiving payments. W-9 Forms are
required by OHA and can be found in the Section 8 page of OHA’s website, OAKLAND HOUSING AUTHORITY.
Print Name:_________________________________________
Authorized Signature:________________________________________ ____ Date______________________
This form is required for every new Section 8 HAP Contract. The HAP Contract cannot be approved until all
required documents have been received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting