Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Yes... my understanding is Section 8 participants are not a protected class subjecting property owners to discrimination suits.

The form you've posted has an interesting history...

Scam artists posing as property owners/managers rented homes to Section 8 families, collected deposits and HAP checks for homes they didn't own or manage.

As a result, OHA now verifies ownership and the tax identity of the person receiving payments. When I first started with the program, OHA didn't even ask for the owner's Tax ID number and Section 8 handled evictions and damage claims... not the owner.

Over the years, much of this has shifted to the property owner and as a result, some owners no longer participate... especially since OHA will no longer cover ANY tenant damage.

Each individual unit is qualified as the first step in renting to a Section 8/Voucher family... After a unit is deemed in compliance the owner files a packet requesting Lease Approval and Housing Assistance Payment Contract. Part of the HAP contract application is verification of property ownership and the entity receiving payment. Contracts are often rejected because the Housing Authority deems the rent requested as excessive. The owner can either except a lower proposed amount or decline to participate in the program.

I've also had existing tenants in property I acquired that I helped get on the program.

One building had two elderly widows living only on Social Security... they received less than $600 and were paying $450 in rent and living on less than $150 per month.

One extra comment... Areas with Rent Control have additional requirements that govern lease termination... it is possible that an owner may be compelled to continue renting to a family that is no longer eligible for Section 8 assistance.... Of course the family must still pay the rent or face an Unlawful Detainer Action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
It seems like you know a bit more than me about the subject.

I was actually trying to get one of my rentals approved for Sec 8 here but they told me there was a waiting list and what they pay is about $200 less than I am getting now.

It seemed a little strange because I figured they would need more homes if they have a 3 year waiting list for tenants to get approved for Sec 8. The amount they told me they pay also seemed very low for my area.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It seems like you know a bit more than me about the subject.

I was actually trying to get one of my rentals approved for Sec 8 here but they told me there was a waiting list and what they pay is about $200 less than I am getting now.

It seemed a little strange because I figured they would need more homes if they have a 3 year waiting list for tenants to get approved for Sec 8. The amount they told me they pay also seemed very low for my area.
Local Housing Authorities are allowed latitude in how they implement... I've only worked with a few Bay Area cities and two county Housing Authorities... my brother served on a County Advisory Board governing Contra Costa's county Housing Authority for a short time to fill an unexpected vacancy... I/we had no units in Contra Costa under Section 8 at the time.

Waiting lists... depending on family status can by anywhere from several weeks to more than 5 years and is based on available funding and not the supply of available rental homes

Senior Citizens and the Disabled often move to the front of the list as do groups that receive special congressional funding as happened for Hurricane Katrina victims.

Often a family will be given a choice of Conventional Housing (Projects) with a short wait list or Section 8/Voucher Housing with longer waiting lists.

Dedicated Senior Housing and Disabled Housing operates as you mentioned... the entire property is first qualified and then individual families that meet the eligibility requirements are sought.

The amount of rent a Landlord is allowed to charge is based on a formula calculated by the cost of a typical comparable minimum unit in that community... this is why Section 8 housing is often found in the lower cost area of town, although it can be anywhere the property owner is willing to accept Section 8's predetermined fair market value.

The amount of rent the Tenant pays is solely based on the tenants income and is independent of the total rent for the home... it is possible for a very low income family with many dependants to actually pay nothing or receive a small payment if they are classified as under-housed

Exceptions above Fair Market rent are sometimes granted for units that have special amenities for disabled certificate holders and in some cases when an entire class of certificate holders looking for rentals is unable find anything within the price range.

HUD audits local Housing Authorities to insure the Fair Market Rent schedule used is not overly generous... the philosophy is to house as many qualified families for the least cost in a given community.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,767 times
Are you going straight to the Housing Authority in your area? Look up HUD, find your state, what Housing Office is nearest to you....or call the 800 customer service number to ask questions. Only a suggestion. To my knowledge...any house/home/apartment can become a property that rents to a Section 8 Voucher holder. The property owner must properly screen the tenants because you will have to enforce your own lease and if the tenant breaks the lease you do have two legs to stand on because the "HUD" is looking over your shoulders and will help enforce the least.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,767 times
Are you sure the receptionist answering the call understood your inquiry? HUD would never turn down a property owner wanting to participate in the program unless your property does not pass inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting