Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 42,536 times

Advertisements

My apartment wont fix any of the m[SIZE=3]aintenance request that I asked for. It has been almost 2 weeks since I asked them to fix it and they just keep telling me that someone will be there today. But no one ever comes to fix it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]They know that I will be moving out soon. DO YOU THINK I NEED TO GET AN ATTORNEY AND CERTIFIED LETTER TO SCARE THEM A LITTLE BIT? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I dont want to have to leave my apartment with the appliances not fixed and then they charge me for it. What are my rights in this situation? (florida state) THANKS!!![/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Start by writing them a letter thats certified.
(they have to sign for it)
Start a log book with all contact and photo copy everything you send them
Put your signature and date in handwriting on the letter.Also write down that you called and who you spoke to with the dates.

Where do you live? (state?)

Depending on that will determine what your rights are.
Also the types of repairs. Whats broken?

IF they have a deduction for repairs in lease get it in writing to do so. Do not trust words. Only papers hold up in court.
I hope you dont have a slumlord.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
If you have not sent them a detailed letter outlining the problems to be fixed, then you need to do so now. And get proof of delivery. Everything should be done in writing for proof. If you move out, be sure to leave it in the same condition or better than you found it. Take pictures of everything. Document everything you do to protect yourself. It doesn't sound like they plan on fixing anything before you move. But I would still send that letter which should include that you have requested these items to be fixed on several occasions (with dates if possible).

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
Mixed feelings on this one. Depending on your landlord's workload, 2 weeks wait really isn't that unusual. Now (before I get crucified for saying that), there's a way you can just "walk away" from this one. It's called "Constructive Eviction", meaning that your place is uninhabitable. Check out Constructive eviction for details. However, maintain status quo in paying on time so you don't look like a dead-beat. Get legal advise before you do anything on your own. Some landlords stay on the good side of the law, whether it appears that way to the tenant or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting