Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Yep & the last person I told Not to smoke it around me & my son put Me in the Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'm sorry that happened to you, but what makes you think that every situation will turn out just as that did? That's a pretty grand leap.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThings View Post
Has he done or said something to make you think he is going to sue you?

I'm not sure of the situation, but have you thought about just bringing it up with him and telling him you'll be moving out? Something like "When I moved in here, it was without the knowledge that you smoke marijuana in the house. That is not something I am comfortable living with, and so I think it would be best for both of us if I move out, and we both find something that is a better match. I have found a place and will be out on _______."

I do, however, think it is a good idea to get some evidence and documentation incase you need it.

On the otherhand, if you have reason to fear for your safety, get out ASAP, and find the $77--borrow from a friend if you have to.
I agree w/ this. the vast majority of pot smokers I've known (and I've known quite a few, esp. since that I now go to an art school!), it's not a drug that makes you violent. legal issues aside (and I'm not saying you should brush aside the legal issues completely. if you want to call the cops after you move, go right ahead, but I personally never took such a step), unless the LL is acting in a potentially violent manner or is stealing from you, I would just try to talk to him one-on-one, calmly, w/o threatening him w/ legal action. chances are he may just let you break the lease since you object to the smoking (again, the smokers I've personally lived w/ were courteous about this and would smoke out the window or outside, but this may just be my experience). for the most part, pot smokers want to live w/ people that are cool w/ it, and most ads usially state that the apartment is "420 friendly", or want roommates that are 420 friendly, which the LL should have mentioned in this case, so it's a major oversight on his part. your LL shouldn't give you too much of a hassle for breaking the lease, esp. if you can get proof of his drug use. now, if there is another issue going on that makes you feel he may retaliate, either by hurting you or suing you, that's a whole nother matter, but a simple pot issue can be dealt w/ civilally

Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Before you get a room mate make him or her sign a no-drugs agreement that can serve as a legal document.

In the case of using marijuana, ya better make it a joint agreement.

Seriously, I wouldn't put up with somebody smoking weed or doing any kind of drugs. It doesn't matter if pot-users are non-violent people and whatever. It's still illegal, and the proper authorities need to be notified.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Give him written notice that if you find out he has anything illegal in the house again that you will consider your lease vacated. Illegal activity that could impact you is not something you have to tolerate.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,514 times
[SIZE=+1]HEMP FACTS [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]1) Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]2) Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic. The federal government subsidized hemp during the Second World War and US farmers grew about a million acres of hemp as part of that program.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]3) Hemp Seed is far more nutritious than even soybean, contains more essential fatty acids than any other source, is second only to soybeans in complete protein (but is more digestible by humans), is high in B-vitamins, and is 35% dietary fiber. Hemp seed is not psychoactive and cannot be used as a drug. See TestPledge.com[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]4) The bark of the hemp stalk contains bast fibers which are among the Earth's longest natural soft fibers and are also rich in cellulose; the cellulose and hemi-cellulose in its inner woody core are called hurds. Hemp stalk is not psychoactive. Hemp fiber is longer, stronger, more absorbent and more insulative than cotton fiber. [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]5) According to the Department of Energy, hemp as a biomass fuel producer requires the least specialized growing and processing procedures of all hemp products. The hydrocarbons in hemp can be processed into a wide range of biomass energy sources, from fuel pellets to liquid fuels and gas. Development of biofuels could significantly reduce our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]6) Hemp grows well without herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides. Almost half of the agricultural chemicals used on US crops are applied to cotton. [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]7) Hemp produces more pulp per acre than timber on a sustainable basis, and can be used for every quality of paper. Hemp paper manufacturing can reduce wastewater contamination. Hemp's low lignin content reduces the need for acids used in pulping, and it's creamy color lends itself to environmentally friendly bleaching instead of harsh chlorine compounds. Less bleaching results in less dioxin and fewer chemical byproducts.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]8) Hemp fiber paper resists decomposition, and does not yellow with age when an acid-free process is used. Hemp paper more than 1,500 years old has been found. It can also be recycled more times. [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]9) Hemp fiberboard produced by Washington State University was found to be twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]10) Eco-friendly hemp can replace most toxic petrochemical products. Research is being done to use hemp in manufacturing biodegradable plastic products: plant-based cellophane, recycled plastic mixed with hemp for injection-molded products, and resins made from the oil, to name just a very few examples.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Hemp History[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC. [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic. [/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]In 1937 Congress passed the Marihuana Tax Act which effectively began the era of hemp prohibition. The tax and licensing regulations of the act made hemp cultivation unfeasable for American farmers. The chief promoter of the Tax Act, Harry Anslinger, began promoting anti-marijuana legislation around the world. To learn more about hemp prohibition visit Welcome to Jack Herer's Home on the Web! or check out "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer [/SIZE]

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 12,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yep & the last person I told Not to smoke it around me & my son put Me in the Hospital.

*cough cough* BULLSH!!!T
sorry but its EXTREMELY hard for me to believe that you asked someone to not smoke pot around you and your child and then they beat you up. Thats not enough for someone to flip out and hurt a women, UNLESS youre with an abusive **** head guy and have no sence of judgement WHICH i dont think you are so i think youre just a bull**** liar. GO GREEN!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
chill out man...

it's not like it's coke or anything hahah

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
If the OP wanted a debate about marijuana he would have said so. He said he did not want to live with someone who smoked pot (which, like it or not, is against the law) and asked for advice on how to get out of the lease.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
You sound like the type of person who calls the cops on the neighbors dog but never even bothers to go over and ask them if they could keep it down.

You seem to be makign a lot of assumptions and making this into a really big deal. Often times if you just talk some someone that will solve alot of issues, as crazy as that sounds its true.

Also, what's with the assumption by you and others that this guy is violent and you need to be careful to hide wehre you move after this. I'd be much more concerned about an alcoholic than a pothead, they are much more unpredictable, impulsive, mean, etc than a pothead.

Also, why do you assume this guy is going to sue you? You yourself stated you have no reason to believe this.

Sit the guy down, let him know him smoking pot makes you uncomfortable, he may offer not to do it in common areas, if thats still not good enough for you ask him if you could move out and tell him you wished he would have disclosed that up front.

As for your evidence and calling the cops. First off not cool, why go out of your way to get someone in trouble. Second off, try doing that, see if the cops give a crap. Honestly they could probably care less what this guy does in the privacy of his own home, its not like they are going to get a search warrent to kick down this guys door for a bong and a $20 bag of weed.

I think the problem here is your making this into a biggger deal than it is and making huge assumptions with no reason as to him being violent, his wanting to sue you, etc. I think if you sat down and talked to him you guys could come to a solution to this problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting