Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times

Advertisements

After our last less than positive renting experience, we have decided to lease again. We went with a realtor and found a home. As we are negotiating the lease, we requested the following riders be placed on it: (1) if the LL should receive a lis pends notification, tenant reserves the right to terminate lease or pay a reduced rent. and (2) option to a second year at the same price. Both realtors had no issues putting this on the lease but when the documents arrived, it was missing and some extra things were on it, including a difference of $2k additional security deposit not discussed. We want to renegotiate and add this rider. Our realtor is frustrated with us and feels we're being too difficult. After having a trying experience last time, is it abnormal to feel the extra need to protect ourselves as a tenant? The realtor is complaining that selling a house is easier than leasing it. How is that my problem?? The LL is whining over $5k carpet in her family room. Isn't that the wear and tear risk she takes when she rents her home? My security deposit more than pays for new carpet. Doesn't the tenant have just as much right to protect themselves as the LL or is it a landlord world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Doesn't the tenant have just as much right to protect themselves as the LL or is it a landlord world?
Absolutely... just as the Landlord can ask for an outrageous rent and you have the option to look elsewhere, you also have the option to ask for specific lease provisions subject to the owner's acceptance.

Just about everything is negotiable, except for applicable Federal, State and Local laws.

I can see your side after having lived the nightmare... I just don't think you will have much luck deviating from a standard form lease in today's tight rental market.

Remember, don't sign anything unless you understand and agree with it...

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I'm am a landlord, and I manage my own properties. I would allow the lease rider. I don't see a problem with either clause. I also would not put carpet that is THAT expensive in a rent house. I have some apartments or houses with carpet, and it's nice, but not the best. It sounds like the owners are being more difficult for the realtor, not you. if you can't get what you want look elsewhere. The rental market is not that tight. there are rentals out there and remember, it's not something your buying and will have to keep. You need to be happy in it and the LL needs to be comfortable with the tenants. Win Win is the best way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting